Is some pinging normal?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Talking about the Accord here. I noticed while accelerating moderately today, it had some light pinging. It doesn't do it all the time either, I have noticed it when going up hills sometimes as well. Our Ulander pings all the time, and our 2002 6.0 Silverado pings when under heavy acceleration. Yes I know what pinging is, is light pinging anything to worry about? The Accord is pretty healthy so idk what could be causing it. Its up to date on all maintenance. Light occasional pinging, normal or no?

Originally Posted By: gregk24
Yes I know what pinging is

Let me start things off then by asking the obvious: If you know what it is, why haven't you done anything to address it?

I think his posting here is the addressing...

Have you tried running a different fuel station? Or higher octane? These vehicles shouldn't need high test, but it is an easy test.

Seems odd to have three vehicles decide to ping, so I wonder about fuel quality first.

I'd be concerned. Light ping or not, things are still rattling around. Iirc it's tough on the rod bearing, not just the piston.

Originally Posted By: Ramblejam

Let me start things off then by asking the obvious: If you know what it is, why haven't you done anything to address it?

We tried everything.in.the Uplander.but.to no avail. I just have to.wonder.is this something all cars do and we just don't notice? All of our cars do it. Is it just a high mileage thing? Need to drive them harder?

Originally Posted By: supton
I think his posting here is the addressing...

Have you tried running a different fuel station? Or higher octane? These vehicles shouldn't need high test, but it is an easy test.

Seems odd to have three vehicles decide to ping, so I wonder about fuel quality first.

I'd be concerned. Light ping or not, things are still rattling around. Iirc it's tough on the rod bearing, not just the piston.

I've only used shell in the Accord, the Ulander uses primarily shell but pings on any gas, and the Silverado uses all gas stations.

Yeah I've also noticed pinging in my 02 Silverado 5.3L when I run it hard, despite installing new knock sensors due to the water-prone location where it's installed (P0332). 92 eliminates pinging but I don't run the truck hard anyways.

We tried everything.in.the Uplander.but.to no avail. I just have to.wonder.is this something all cars do and we just don't notice? All of our cars do it. Is it just a high mileage thing? Need to drive them harder?

A quick search shows you have quite the history on here discussing the pinging issue. Look, here's the easiest, most effective thing to do:

1. Run the gas tank on each down to empty and refill with 93 octane.
2. Buy three cans of this: http://www.amazon.com/Genuine-Chrysler-Accessories-4318001AD-Combustion/dp/B00BV4D97K
3. Follow directions on can, and use one can for each vehicle.
4. After done, disconnect battery cables and allow time for ECU to reset.
5. Reconnect cables and go drive.
6. Report back.

A quick search shows you have quite the history on here discussing the pinging issue. Look, here's the easiest, most effective thing to do:

1. Run the gas tank on each down to empty and refill with 93 octane.
2. Buy three cans of this: http://www.amazon.com/Genuine-Chrysler-Accessories-4318001AD-Combustion/dp/B00BV4D97K
3. Follow directions on can, and use one can for each vehicle.
4. After done, disconnect battery cables and allow time for ECU to reset.
5. Reconnect cables and go drive.
6. Report back.

Is this rebranded seafoam? I have ran seafoam before but it will have to wait until my next oil change, I don't like running any additives that can contaminate the oil. So I run them right before an oil change.

Is this rebranded seafoam? I have ran seafoam before but it will have to wait until my next oil change, I don't like running any additives that can contaminate the oil. So I run them right before an oil change.

...and there's the problem.

Mopar CCC is highly effective for the removal of carbon deposits. I'm not going to get into a argument regarding the merits of Seafoam, but for the intended purpose here, there's simply no comparison between these two products.

As well, you have a mechanical issue present that needs to be rectified. That's significantly more important than running whatever OCI. Fix the problems, change the oil, and continue on a happy camper...not wasting your time on here continuing to discuss pinging.

I must make a correction though -- in my haste earlier, I mentioned that you should follow the label instructions. That is incorrect. Here is the actual decarboning procedure from Chrysler:

1. Start the vehicle engine and allow the engine to reach normal operating temperature.
2. Remove the air tube from the engine throttle body.
3. With the engine at idle, spray the entire contents of Mopar Combustion Chamber Cleaner, p/n 04318001AB, directly into the throttle body. As the cleaner is being ingested, allow the vehicle to “load up” with the cleaner to the point that the engine is almost stalling out. Maintain this condition until all of the cleaner is used/ingested.
4. Stop the engine once the entire can of cleaner has been ingested.
5. Install the air tube to the throttle body.
6. With the hood closed and the vehicle parked inside the garage, allow the vehicle engine to heat soak for two to three hours. This will ensure that the engine will maintain its temperature and will allow proper solvent penetration.
7. After engine soak, start the engine and drive the vehicle until the engine has reached normal engine operating temperatures.
8. If the vehicle is equipped with an automatic transmission, place the gear selector into “L” (low). If the vehicle is equipped with a manual transmission, place the transmission into first gear.
9. In a safe vehicle operating location that will allow the vehicle to be driven safely and at the posted speed limit, accelerate the vehicle until the engine reaches 4500 RPM.
10. Hold the engine speed at this RPM for 15 seconds.
11. Slow down and in a safe location pull to the side of the road. Allow the engine to idle for five seconds.
12. Repeat steps 9 through 11 five more times.

Originally Posted By: andyd
You need to give the cars an Italian Tune-up. A good run at high rpm. 25 miles or so to burn out the carbon.

I would use techron, some 93 octane fuel drive 100 miles then the above Italian tuneup.

If this has just started, my guess would be a bad tank of gas.

If it is ongoing, you may want to see if there are updates available for your car's PCM.

On the inverse side of this, I have owned quite a few vehicles over the years that have had light pinging under heavy load or hard acceleration. As far as I'm concerned, it's completely normal and will not hurt anything. Moderate to heavy pinging is a different story.

My car has pinged since new under partial and full throttle from about 3.5k to 5k. I only run premium gas. My last G35 did the same thing. I think some setups are prone to this. I think it is not good for the engine, but I don't know of a solution.

LOL +1

Originally Posted By: CBR.worm
My car has pinged since new under partial and full throttle from about 3.5k to 5k. I only run premium gas. My last G35 did the same thing. I think some setups are prone to this. I think it is not good for the engine, but I don't know of a solution.

I have notice this pinging in several Nissan/Infinity engines and it still makes me wonder if it's light timing chain rattle...sounding like pinging/detonation!

Also to gregk24, is this the first time that you've heard this pinging in your Accord?

Is this the first time that you've used Mobil AFE 0W20 in this engine?

Do you think it could be the Mobil oil?

Just asking!

CB
smile.gif

Last edited:
Are you sure it isn't a drivetrain noise? Ever checked valve lash? I have always set mine on the tighter end of the manufacturers recommendations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back