Is some pinging normal?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you drive an older pushrod Ford, it is normal. The last pinging ride I had was an '04 Freestar with 3.9L pushrod. It often ping'd. If I ran premium once in awhile, it would help. The owner's manual even stated it was "normal".

In the old daze a slight ping was considered ok, as it indicated the timing was advanced just enough.

The trick is when is it too much....

Originally Posted By: kkreit01
If you drive an older pushrod Ford, it is normal. The last pinging ride I had was an '04 Freestar with 3.9L pushrod. It often ping'd. If I ran premium once in awhile, it would help. The owner's manual even stated it was "normal".

My 2001 Vulcan pinged horribly. Turns out the DFPE sensor was bad the entire time. Once I replaced it, it never pinged

... then the car rusted to death a few months later

Originally Posted By: Scott_Tucker
Cars with modern feedback ignition systems are always going to have light pinging (known as incipient detonation) due the ignition being advanced up to the detonation threshold and then backed off momentarily. It cycles like an O2 sensor. By keeping the timing advanced as far as possible maximizes efficiency and will not damage the engine.

This is my observation as well. Our CR-V will knock a little bit at heavier throttle above about 4,500 rpm when I run Shell gas. I used the Torque app on my Android tablet to monitor the knock sensor during those conditions and the knock sensor does "hear" the knock. The PCM knows it's there, and it's fine with it. Interestingly enough, when I run BJs gas through the car, I don't get the same spark knock.

I still get slight knock on premium fuel. It's fine...the engine is turning the timing up as far as it can and still be safe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back