IS SL oil really SL oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm still seeing SL oil around here. For example I see SAE30 Pennzoil YB and it says SL on the donut.

Is it safe to assume that it has 1000 ppm or more of ZDDP? Or could it have been lowered to SM standards but still have SL on the bottle?

Royal Purple SL is SL regarding ZDDP--1100 ppm--And that's mainly why I use it.
Some heavy weight oils for performance are still really SL.
(Usually cheaper than RP, but I can't use 10W-40 or 20W-50 in my truck so I don't use those.)
Other types out there...I don't know.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
I'm still seeing SL oil around here. For example I see SAE30 Pennzoil YB and it says SL on the donut.

Is it safe to assume that it has 1000 ppm or more of ZDDP? Or could it have been lowered to SM standards but still have SL on the bottle?

If you see a bottle of Pennzoil YB SAE HD30 and in the donut it says SL, it is older product and it is SL oil in the bottle. The new product would say SM only in the donut.

If you find a bottle of Pennzoil Longlife SAE 30 it will carry the API rating of
CF-4, CF-2, CF/SJ.

Originally Posted By: Chris142

If it says SL in the API Donut on ANY oil bottle then that is what it is. Unless the company is falsly advertising the product which I doubt Penzoil would do. I would defer to Johnny as to the age of the product/if it is a current formula. He knows all about that brand. I don't.

I do know, as the other member above mentioned, RP does offer current formula SL oils. RP is adament that they do not approve of the SM requirements and will continue to produce their oils as SL. If you want a true, certified, SL oil RP offers them currently. SL from other mfg's for the most part, like that Penzoil you found, is older stock. Mostly. Some other mfg's may still offer SL formulas.

RP has a current API SL/Energy Conserving certification on 5W-20, 5W-30, and 10W-30 oils. They also offer a 10W-40 & 15W-40 certified SL oil( non EC ).

http://eolcs.api.org/DisplayCompanyInfo.asp?CompanyID=227088

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back