is running thru PRNDL necessary for proper level check for tranny?

hey all, i did a fluid drain and fill a few weeks ago and want to do a last level check just for peace of mind since its been a few weeks since i set the level just incase there was any air trapped or etc etc. since it is a toyota and i have to do the level check at 104f or whatever, i was going to add 250ml of fluid just to ensure i have extra in the system thru the drain whole and then drain the excess to set the level

my question is if i add from the drain whole and put the drain plug back in, and run the vehicle. do i really need to run the gears thru prndl for a few seconds to make sure the tranny level is correct? or should i be fine skipping this test

i was in the assumption that running thru prndl was just to ensure no air was trapped in the system etc however since i am not dropping the pan or filter this time or am not taking off any houses, i seriously doubt that just adding fluid in the fill whole would result in air entering the system and then resulting in wrong fluid level

the reason i ask and want to skip is if i can skip it, its easier to just start the car and get underneath asap and wait 1-2 mins for it to hit the 100f or whatever, rather then start the car and run the prdnl and then have to rush to jump underneath to ensure the tranny hasnt got too hot too quick etc

thanks!

Back