Is Rotella 15w-40 still ok for motorcycles?

So is the current formula we can buy at walmart still acceptable to run in motorcycles? I have a stratoliner 1900 and a Vulcan 900.

In 2016 I selected it because of the added protection of the high lift cam in the strat, and Kawaskai speced a 10w-40 which is close enough. I keep it indoors so cold weather starting is never an issue.

Curious if anything would have changed that would impact the clutch performance.

Many on this board use it for OPE and motorcycles exclusively. I also use it in OPE and motocross bikes and have been for quite a long time and have been very happy with the performance and price point.

My friend 1976 Honda Goldwing's owners manual said to use only a SAE branded motor oil, in the weight spec'd for the temp it will be operated in. 4 cyl water cooled motor that ran like a watch. He used many different brands of oil , but kept within the mfgr's weight range. Unless your running a race motor with different fuels in it, staying close to the weight called for means more then some fitsall spec or approval rating. Look at the UOA's and you won't find one that will say, your test would have been better if you use brand x oil with the abc rating.,,,

This is the 2019 data from the Shell website, but I believe it is current since T6 15w40 was pretty new. Shell says it is good for MA/MA2 unless you think Shell doesn't know what they talking about.

Rotella 15w40.JPG

Your Stratoliner is one attractive bike!

I've let go of my life-long motorcycle hobby out of self preservation, but I've exclusively used Rotella T4 15w-40 on the following bikes with excellent results.

KLR 650
KLX 400
DR350
XR250
XR200
CB900

Kodiak 400
and my current Rhino 700.

I sure miss riding on summer evenings!

The evidence is that it is not JASO licensed. There's no license number on the container and it is not marked in accordance with the JASO Implementation Manual.
If it says it "meets or exceeds" JASO specs on the bottle, then I'd have to believe they said that because it does meet the required specs. Valvoline and Castrol motorcycle specific oils only say "meets or exceeds" without the JASO licensing marking logo on the bottle. Those companies apparently didn't want to officially "license" it with JASO for some reason. Only motorcycle oil I've used with the licensing logo was Yamaha "Yamalube", and I'd bet the other big manufacturers like Honda, Suzuki and Kawasaki do the same.

Last edited:
Objective truth is any of the major brands will meet or exceed your mileage expectations...

JASO does not test oils. They register oils based on manufacturer
data and site. Most of the data is generated by additive package
manufacturers. The system is just for registration. They hate any term
that implies their approval such as “certified by”.

Cost to register one grade of oil from one manufacturing site is
40,000 Japanese Yen or about USD $365.00.

What oil should a wet clutch customer stay way from???
JASO can't help... the results of market surveys are in a manner such
that particular names of submitters and their oil products are not
identifiable.

Quote JASO
"The Panel may disclose the results of market surveys in a manner such
identifiable."

So no oil is currently listed to be the cause of wet clutch slip... fact is
high mileage not our oil is the observed cause of a clutch loosing its grip...

Jaso has approved 1,537 oils which covers just about everything on the
market... From 0w to mono 30 grades to 60 multi grades... from Auto to
Cycle oils... What oil should a wet clutch customer stay way from???
JASO can't help... the results of market surveys are in a manner such
identifiable.

^^^ Just because it's not "registered" with JASO doesn't mean it doesn't meet or exceed the JASO specifications to be labeled as a JASO MA or MA2 oil. Only way it can be labeled with the "official" JASO logo (per the JASO documentation) is to register it with JASO. Apparently many oil companies don't see that as a requirement or a benefit as long as they can legitimately say it meets or exceeds the JASO chemical, physical and friction test requirements specifications.

Do you think companies like Valvoline, Castrol, Shell, Motul, Amsoil, Red Line, etc are going to say on the bottle that it's rated as JASO MA/MA2 if it really can't meet the JASO spec? You think big companies like that are going to lie and risk a big lawsuit for false advertising?

What oil should a wet clutch customer stay way from???
JASO can't help...
The ones that don't meet their test specs - oils that don't say they meet or exceed JASO MA/MA2. Why do you think JASO MA, MA1 and MA2 exist?

So no oil is currently listed to be the cause of wet clutch slip... fact is
high mileage not our oil is the observed cause of a clutch loosing its grip...
Have you tested every non-JASO MA/MA2 oil in every bike to verify none had any clutch slippage? Or have you ran the SAE tests on all the non-JASO oils in the world to verify all of them passed the friction test specs?

Sure, a non-JASO rated motor oil may seem to work fine in a motorcycle, and that will also depend on the motorcycle's power level and clutch design (ie, is it over designed or under designed?). And how do you know there really isn't some slight amount of slippage going on every time the clutch engages that can't really be detected by the rider with a non-JASO oil. IMO, just use a JASO rated oil and you won't have to be wondering if the clutch is locking up good or not.

Last edited:
A couple of years ago Shell said they were no longer going to certify or recommend oils for other than their primary purpose. That's when they removed the S ratings from the Rotella. I don't think they made an exception for motorcycles.

You can always try it out first and if it doesn't work out for you just dump it out and pour something else in. On here you will find mixed reviews so YMMV, some run it just fine with no issues but then others have problems with it shearing out along with notchy shifting. The Rotella is not JASO certified and per Shell according to their inhouse testing they say it meets the spec.

I use Valvoline Full Synthetic Motorcycle oil in my Ninja 650 that calls for 10w40, they also make it in 20w50, at Walmart they are selling it at $7.37 qt which is a steal right now.

I've always felt comfortable using Rotella because the back label says it "meets the requirements" of JASO MA/MA2. I agree with Zee, I really don't think a major brand would risk its reputation (or a lawsuit) by stating an application where the product would fail. If I were running oil for long intervals in a street application, I might use a motorcycle oil or OEM (Yamalube/Honda GN4) but my dirt bikes get oil changes at very short intervals and I don't worry, never had a problem with Rotella T4 or T6. Not everyone likes the shifting "feel" of Rotella but it is proven over many years and many users to protect motorcycles with wet clutches.

Everybody wants to overthink this stuff. It works and it works great always has. End of the question.

The shifting has always degraded quickly using Rotella, in my shared-sump sportbikes. I've found other oils that don't allow the shifting to degrade throughout the OCI. So I use those.

If it works acceptably to others in shared-sump bikes, then they've found their oil.

The shifting has always degraded quickly using Rotella, in my shared-sump sportbikes. I've found other oils that don't allow the shifting to degrade throughout the OCI. So I use those.

If it works acceptably to others in shared-sump bikes, then they've found their oil.

Something tells me (im guessing) that you have only tried T6. I too had quick to sheer tendencies with T6. I currently use T4 and it seems to hold up great. I dont really check on the JASO certs anymore on diesel oil.
What makes it good for MC use is still there with or without the JASO cert. I've been using T4 for years and years on my old Honda XR650R and its running better then ever.

Back