Is Redline really worth $9 per qt.?

Status
Not open for further replies.
In my neck of the woods Redline is cheaper then Amsoil S2000,S3000 and Royal Purple and Delvac-1. I usualy get my boutique oils from our site sponors. I like to support those that support this site! I used Myoilshop.com even before I found BITOG though! AVLube is great place for Delvac-1. IF you are lucky you can also get great deals from other members of this site. One memeber was nice enough to sell me a case of M1R for $25 includeing shipping and tax's etc... out the door to my door. He got it for free and did not want it! THeir is no way I could have found this oil for that price. I can not even get it in my state at all yet or 5W40 SUV or GC!!!

JB, would love to see those UOAs. I'm going to do a UOA on my T&SUV and then on whichever RL I choose, thinking of 10w-40, 15w-40, or 5w-40.... haven't decided yet....

I have been using Red Line 5W30 in my 03 Mustang GT that I use for drag racing. It's the only oil I'll put in the car. I change it out at 5,000 mile intervals or every 1 race day.

The engine runs smoother, quieter, and more efficiently (street times).

The engine doesn't shear down as fast as other oils, plus I have *NO* consumption issues.

I use Red Line Water Wetter in the coolant, Red Line SI-1 Fuel system cleaner in the gas, Red line Motor oil, Red Line Gear oil for my 31-spline moser/eaton/FRPP 4:30 rear-end, and GM Synchromesh in the Manual Tranny.

Oil analysis results of Red Line are not accurately interprited by most labs.

[ June 07, 2004, 07:27 AM: Message edited by: mf150 ]

quote:

Originally posted by mf150:
I have been using Red Line 5W30 in my 03 Mustang GT that I use for drag racing. It's the only oil I'll put in the car. I change it out at 5,000 mile intervals or every 1 race day.

As I mentioned in the other thread, one day of racing at the dragstrip will not kill an oil like Redline by any means. I go drag racing about once per month, and often make 7 or 8 passes in one day. Then I'll still run my oil to it's full interval. Even with 3 or 4 different visits to the track within my oil change interval, my results still look good and still show lots of life left in my oil.

Redline is too expensive to be draining out after just one day at the strip. It's made to handle stuff like this. Besides, most people probably do more full throttle driving in a week than they do during one day at the strip. I know I do. I make more full throttle runs just driving to the strip than I do when I get there!
smile.gif

quote:

The engine runs smoother, quieter, and more efficiently (street times).

The engine doesn't shear down as fast as other oils, plus I have *NO* consumption issues.

I think the Track is where RL might be worth it. Although, there are people that run Mobil 1 5w-30 and race their cars that end up with zero problems for thousands of miles as well. I don't really think you can tell if an oil shears unless it's tested can you?
dunno.gif

RL's Noak is very low which is a good thing and the reason you see low oil consumption. I've read numerous reports where the switch to a good snythetic allows people to go several races without changing the oil.
smile.gif

Autozone has M1 w/ their over the counter coupons for $3.99, so that's TWO oil changes vs. one for redline, $9 bucks, maybe in a $60K+~ car but "no way", like Amzoil, it is too "dern" overpriced
lol.gif
grin.gif
burnout.gif
so that's my cheap .02 for what it's (not) worth....geez $9, thats about the price of milk or gasoline!
grin.gif
rolleyes.gif

[ June 07, 2004, 05:55 PM: Message edited by: Jeff in Western WA ]

quote:

Originally posted by Jeff in Western WA:
Autozone has M1 w/ their over the counter coupons for $3.99, so that's TWO oil changes vs. one for redline, $9 bucks, maybe in a $60K+~ car but "no way", like Amzoil, it is too "dern" overpriced
lol.gif
grin.gif
burnout.gif
so that's my cheap .02 for what it's (not) worth....geez $9, thats about the price of milk or gasoline!
grin.gif
rolleyes.gif

Yeah but when you consider that you can easily go a 10-15k mile OCI with Redline vs. maybe a 5k OCI with Mobil 1, before it shears down beyond belief, your trade off doesn't hold much water...I mean oil.
wink.gif

quote:

Originally posted by biodiesel:

quote:

Originally posted by Jeff in Western WA:
lol.gif
grin.gif
burnout.gif
grin.gif
rolleyes.gif

Yeah but when you consider that you can easily go a 10-15k mile OCI with Redline vs. maybe a 5k OCI with Mobil 1, before it shears down beyond belief, your trade off doesn't hold much water...I mean oil.
wink.gif

We've seen no evidence on here of Mobil 1 5w30 or 10w30 shearing down though, both of them are very stable. Their 0w40 might thin out, but then again so would Redline if they made it in a 0w40. I wonder if Redline would ever attempt to make a 0w oil at all though.
dunno.gif

quote:

Originally posted by DEWFPO:
Hey ThatWouldBeGreat.....

Which RL oil are you using?

Just curious.

DEWFPO

Right now 5w-30 .. 5w-40 ... 10w-30 ..10w-40

I used the RL 10W-40 Summer/10W-30 Winter in the German cars BMW , VW ...

....instead of Mobil 1 15W-50 [ before that I had used 20W-50 Castrol GTX, Castrol Syntec 5W-50 ]

I used the RL 5W-40 Summer 5W-30 Winter in the Subaru's and Acura's

The new Honda Element will probably get Mobil1 0W-20 year round or ~maybe~ RL 5W-20 [Motorcraft 5W-20 is the other option]

If I had to run 1 oil for year rounf use...I would use Redline 5W-40

I play it safe. Most cars I use M1 at 5-6 K intervals and RL at 7 - 7.5K interval.

And the year round 5W-40 comment was not for 5W020 spec engines....but for the many engines that could run a 0W-40 or 5W-40 oil year round.

Also, the Redline tranny and gear lubes are the best I've found...I use RL in every car.

The Redline Fuel Injector is the best I've found for the money. There are a few other cleaners as good but at 2 to 3 times the cost.

I did quit using Watter Wetter since I had sludge and problems...but I wonder if the Dexcool was to blame.

I hate DexCool...only factory coolant or G-05 for me. I learned the really really hard way that DexCool and maybe DexCool and Water Wetter is bad.

quote:

Originally posted by Patman:
We've seen no evidence on here of Mobil 1 5w30 or 10w30 shearing down though, both of them are very stable. Their 0w40 might thin out, but then again so would Redline if they made it in a 0w40. I wonder if Redline would ever attempt to make a 0w oil at all though.
dunno.gif

Are you positive? I know I've seen UOA's that clearly show shearing with their 10W30 and I'm pretty sure most of the one's I saw were on this site; but, I'm not 100% positive on that so I'll take your word on it.

I just don't care for Mobil 1 personally. I think it's a somewhat overrated oil and their 10W30 is so thin it's pretty much a 5w30 to start with.

quote:

Originally posted by Santo Fontana:
It was just the dexcool.

I've run nothing but the recommended Dex in my Saturn for all of its 200,000 miles. Added Water Wetter at 125,000 miles, sludge showed up. Drained and refilled with plain 50/50 Dex and water, no sludge since. I'm not saying the sludge would have done any harm, but I do know Red Line themselves have acknowledged this "muck" with Water Wetter, so I wouldn't be so quick to blame the DexCool.

I use their gear oils the 75W/140 is a good deal compared to other syn oils. I like their motor oils but the heavy duty oils offer all the protection I need at a good price.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back