Is RAM determined solely by CPU?

After issues with my laptop this last week, I started looking for a replacement. I was hoping to get it to last another year but at this point I'm not optimistic.

OK, when looking at new units, I am finding it hard to see the max allowable/upgradeable RAM limits, because sometimes the sites don't give the full model number (Dell is notoriously bad for this, giving me only something like "Inspiron 15" that won't let me know a specific model number to look up at crucial.com).

I have always thought that the max allowable RAM was determined by the motherboard. But when I went to the Intel site to compare their chips, they were giving RAM maximums there.

So my question: can I determine the max RAM for my new laptop by simply identifying the CPU and then looking that info up?

Last edited:
After issues with my laptop this last week, I started looking for a replacement. I was hoping to get it to last another year but at this point I'm not optimistic. OK--I am finding it hard to see the max allowable/upgradeable RAM limits, because sometimes the sites don't give the full model number (Dell is notoriously bad for this, giving me only something like "Inspiron 15" that won't let me know a specific model number to look up at crucial.com).

I have always thought that the max allowable RAM was determined by the motherboard. But when I went to the Intel site to compare their chips, they were giving RAM maximums there.

So my question: can I determine the max RAM for my new laptop by simply identifying the CPU and then looking that info up?

Some laptops, I think the vast majority built in the last few years are not RAM upgradeable. They actually solder the ram chips onto the motherboard. That's the case with the one I'm typing on right now which was a (near) top of the line Dell when I bought it. I didn't put as much RAM in it as I could have, because I figured I could always add more later. When I decided it was time to add more I realized that wasn't an option. If your laptop does have socketed RAM, both the CPU and the motherboard could be limiting factors based on how it is set up.

At this point, until I can get specific info, I'm just looking for 32 gigs of RAM and assuming that I won't be able to upgrade. I went onto Dell chat one earlier and it took quite a while before I could find someone who could tell me about one model with one chip--but I'm just not prepared to take that much time for every single model that they have. So I'm just shopping for 32 gig laptops assuming I can't. If I want to upgrade to 64, say, a few years from now, and I can do that, fine, but that will be frosting on the cake.
Some laptops, I think the vast majority built in the last few years are not RAM upgradeable. They actually solder the ram chips onto the motherboard. That's the case with the one I'm typing on right now which was a (near) top of the line Dell when I bought it. I didn't put as much RAM in it as I could have, because I figured I could always add more later. When I decided it was time to add more I realized that wasn't an option. If your laptop does have socketed RAM, both the CPU and the motherboard could be limiting factors based on how it is set up.

Definitely not the vast majority, but may be more common on consumer laptops. Business laptops (HP Probook and Elitebook, Lenovo Thinkpads...etc) all still have upgradable memory.

At this point, until I can get specific info, I'm just looking for 32 gigs of RAM and assuming that I won't be able to upgrade. I went onto Dell chat one earlier and it took quite a while before I could find someone who could tell me about one model with one chip--but I'm just not prepared to take that much time for every single model that they have. So I'm just shopping for 32 gig laptops assuming I can't. If I want to upgrade to 64, say, a few years from now, and I can do that, fine, but that will be frosting on the cake.
Will depend on more than just the CPU, will also depend on # of RAM slots for upgrades. Also, sometimes the limits are soft limits and aren't really accurate. Computers that shipped with say a 16GB maximum because 8x2 was the maximum that existed at the time could be upgraded to 32GB for example with higher density DIMM's that appeared on the scene later.

Both my sons have relatively recent entry-level gaming laptops, both have 2x DIMM slots in them for DDR4. One shipped with an 8GB stick, now has 2x16's in it, I slapped the 8 I pulled out of his in my other son's who now has 16. Both are happy.

Right now nothing. But I've upgraded the RAM on every laptop and probably desktop I've owned, and if I can't upgrade this next one, I want there to be plenty when computers do need it. I've had this current laptop 6 years and want to be able to run this next one at least that long.

What are you using this computer for where you need 32+ GB of RAM?

The newer CPUs have the RAM controller built into the CPU chip, so the RAM specification of a particular chip puts a hard limit on how much RAM any machine built with that chip could have. In many cases though the board will not accept that much RAM.

Answer: No.

RAM is limited by the configuration of the motherboard, the CPU and the OS.
And the chipset. All of these factors determine the limit. Just to add complexity, there are combinations of these factors that combine to allow say 32GB RAM, but either the chipset or the CPU have a cache limit of 16GB, so you can't use the entire RAM for file cache, which slows things down.

There is no "chipset" involved in the RAM bus of a new design-- the RAM chips or modules are wired directly to the CPU. AMD has been making their CPUs that way for a long time, and Intel has just started, especially on laptop oriented CPUs.

I was hoping to get it to last another year but at this point I'm not optimistic.
And this is why upgradability isn't such an issue for laptops. They physically don't last long enough to need it.

searching found a good article from intel, Ram vs Processor i am not geeky but found it informative "from the horses mouth" also as noted these are small business laptops with other benefits + as usual how much $$$$ are willing + able to spend!!

After issues with my laptop this last week, I started looking for a replacement. I was hoping to get it to last another year but at this point I'm not optimistic.

OK, when looking at new units, I am finding it hard to see the max allowable/upgradeable RAM limits, because sometimes the sites don't give the full model number (Dell is notoriously bad for this, giving me only something like "Inspiron 15" that won't let me know a specific model number to look up at crucial.com).

Its all dependent on a number of factors. Best option is to look up the specific info for the model you have. The specific model # of your laptop should be on the bottom somewhere, although some models put it inside under the battery compartment on Dells. If you still can't find it you can also install Dell's SmartAssist program and it will give you the full model # of your laptop. Last option would be to go into BIOS and look there, the Dell BIOS has model info there as well (as do most modern laptops these days).

There is no "chipset" involved in the RAM bus of a new design-- the RAM chips or modules are wired directly to the CPU. AMD has been making their CPUs that way for a long time, and Intel has just started, especially on laptop oriented CPUs.
The memory controller (MCH, previously handled as part of the Northbridge package) has been folded into the CPU by both Intel and AMD for a very long time, I believe Intel's first was Nehalem, around 2008. My Westmere in my Mac Pro has the on-die MCH as part of the CPU package for example. This appeared in the consumer space with Lynnfield in 2009 (i5/i7). The mobile version was the i7 Clarksfield, based on the same architecture, also launched in 2009.

My Mac is exactly one of those computers with "soft" limits I mentioned earlier. When it was released, the maximum memory was thought to be 32GB. There are guys who have now managed to get 96GB working in the single CPU systems.

I was talking about RAM limits for a new laptop that I'm searching for buying. I have already maxed out my current laptop.

Its all dependent on a number of factors. Best option is to look up the specific info for the model you have. The specific model # of your laptop should be on the bottom somewhere, although some models put it inside under the battery compartment on Dells. If you still can't find it you can also install Dell's SmartAssist program and it will give you the full model # of your laptop. Last option would be to go into BIOS and look there, the Dell BIOS has model info there as well (as do most modern laptops these days).

No. But you can go on Crucial's website since their database is pretty accurate.

But they ask for specific model numbers, and some of the OEM's like Dell don't give that info to you when you visit their website (at least the Home side).

No. But you can go on Crucial's website since their database is pretty accurate.

But they ask for specific model numbers, and some of the OEM's like Dell don't give that info to you when you visit their website (at least the Home side).
Dell's website does give you the specific model numbers.

Screenshot 2022-04-28 085052.jpg

Doesn't appear in the Inspiron 15 in my cart. And I'd rather not have to put it in there anyways, just to see the specific model.

Correction: OK it does only after clicking on the View Full Specs link once I've already put it in the cart. Still, they shouldn't make it so cryptic. I know OEMs have listed model numbers in the past, on the display page before it is placed in the cart.

Dell's website does give you the specific model numbers.

View attachment 97970

Back