Is RAM determined solely by CPU?

I have 473MB free out of 16 GB installed, with just firefox open, and task manager. The shared graphics reserves 8 GB for itself. it goes quickly!

People like thin laptop (fashion, comfort, convenience), and they do have a limitation on how thin it can be without soldering the ram on without upgradable slots. I personally would rather have a slot for a real laptop I'm using for work (MS Team takes up 8GB easily, web browsers with maybe 10 tabs would easily take a few GB), VS Code (editor) with some large files can easily be another few GB. 16GB would be minimum but if you need more, I would buy a model that has upgradable slot instead of all soldered and buy more just in case.

Definitely be careful if the SSD is also soldered like the M1 Mac, the less RAM they use the more SSD they swap and faster they wear out.

You don't want to use a tiny thin laptop with non upgradable parts (GPU, DDR, SSD) for photo or video editing, get a bigger laptop that you can still swap things, you don't want to tie your hands before you buy the laptop.

My Dell laptop has 16 GB of RAM - it came with 8 GB and I put in another 8 GB, bought the RAM on Amazon. I've had 145 Firefox tabs at once and also a couple of Excel spread sheets open and it uses 50-60% of the RAM. Sometimes it will creap-up to 75% (Firefox not releasing memory perhaps), so I'll close Firefox and reopen the same Firefox session (opens with the same 145 tabs again), and the RAM will be back down to 50% used again. I really need to learn how to control my browsing habits, lol.

Anyone who doesn't go nuts browing could probably get by with 8 GB, but 16 GB is a good buffer amount. From my experience, it seems that Microsoft Edge may use less RAM than Firefox.

Back