Is Quaker State 5W30 Synthetic a Group IV?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why does Quaker State's CCS (cold crank simulator) numbers look so bad ????
dunno.gif

I'm not going to get too excited until I see some better CCS from Pennz/QS and some good uoa,s.

Not being negative guys. Maybe we will see them get competitive.

Pennz and QS do have better number for cold cranking, but they have always put the number the oil have to meet to be a 5w or 10w. I did read somewhere that Pennzoil dino 5w is at 5200, which is the best cold cranking of any dino oil. And that Pennzoil synthetic has better cold cranking than Amsoil or Mobil 1. I believe this comes from the Amsoil website.

OK, i thought that maybe they list "standard" rather than "actual" numbers.

They are going to have to make their specs. look good to compete with M1 etc. Oil-heads look at specs.

quote:

Originally posted by haley10:
Why does Quaker State's CCS (cold crank simulator) numbers look so bad ????
dunno.gif

I'm not going to get too excited until I see some better CCS from Pennz/QS and some good uoa,s.

Not being negative guys. Maybe we will see them get competitive.

If one looks at any of the Q-State ot Pennzoil data sheets they have both the CCS Viscosity and Low Temp Pumping Viscosity listed as MAX , to be taken as not more than why they do this I don't know but these oils will do much better than the max posted . I think Johnny has posted simalar .

That Q-State data sheet has been changed in the last month as well in another way . For the 5w-30 and 10w-30 it says exceeds ACEA A3-98/B3-98 where before it said meets or something like that .It might be an interesting formula seeing they both are listed at only 10.5 centistrokes .

http://www.pzlqs.com/Tech/Pdsheet/QuakerState/EngineOils/pdf/FullSyntheticMotorOil.PDF

I've seen both the 30 wts for 3.97 at Walmart . I saw a thread about Havoline Synthetic " group III " being a sleeper oil . I think this oil just might be .

[ January 23, 2004, 03:50 PM: Message edited by: Motorbike ]

quote:

Originally posted by Bob Woods:
Your right, that is different numbers, but its listed as strong>

Bob ,

Only in the United States can a formulated oil have group III in it and still be called synthetic . The European Formula I doubt very much is sold as a pure synthetic overseas . The MSDS for it says mixed lubricating oils and I'd bet the farm it's primarily a group III oil with some PAO , the majority being group III. This type formula is about the norm with all the 5w-40's made by the major Oil Companies and are usually great oils .

With Mobil coming out with a 5w-40 maybe they will get the Pennzoil and Q-State 5-40's out and on the shelves for some competition ? The only 5-40 I've seen is the Valvoline Synpower and Castrol .

As for the PAO oil " the 20-30-50wts it is not less than 85% PAO , the rest is the additives .
smile.gif

I spoke with someone from QS today. As you may already know, QS, and Pennzoil are owned by Shell. The oils from each company are different and that was decided by upper management. The tech rep said that they don't make ANY PAO based oil and that all there oils are grp III. They might not be aware that their PDS have been updated. Thats the problem with some of these big oil companies and that is you don't know what your getting sometimes.
rolleyes.gif

quote:

Originally posted by buster:
Thats the problem with some of these big oil companies and that is you don't know what your getting sometimes.
rolleyes.gif

And they don't know what they are giving you.
frown.gif

I'll have to introduce my friend to Amsoil.

I find it very odd that M1 is the only 5W30 PAO oil sold OTC.

At this rate, we will never move the masses away from dino.

[ January 23, 2004, 08:29 PM: Message edited by: Grease is the word ]

quote:

Originally posted by buster:
I spoke with someone from QS today. As you may already know, QS, and Pennzoil are owned by Shell. The oils from each company are different and that was decided by upper management. The tech rep said that they don't make ANY PAO based oil and that all there oils are grp III. They might not be aware that their PDS have been updated. Thats the problem with some of these big oil companies and that is you don't know what your getting sometimes.

So, are you saying the yahoo from QS is wrong, or that the information that QS fully synthetic is PAO based has been superceeded? I'm mystified how (or even why) Shell would market a fully PAO QS finished lube cheap enough that Wal*Mart can sell it for ~$4.00/qt. and still make a profit. Did Ponce De'Leon actually discover the "Fountain of PAO" in his failed quest for the "Fountain of Youth"?

Note to Motorbike: It can't be all PAO or engine seals would leak like a sieve. Some ester proportion has to be part of the base oil stocks to prevent seal shrinkage.

Note to Grease is the word: My car's engine is Hyundai's problem for the 10 yr./100,000 mile powertrain warranty as long as I can document oil and filter changes every 7,500 miles or less.
smile.gif
That'll be 10 yrs./100,000 miles. Hmmm... let's see, no additional time/mileage allowance for using synthetic, 88 cents/qt. for 10W-30 SuperTech, or $4.00/qt. for 10W-30 QS Fully Synthetic. Dang, the math is sure confusing! Maybe you could help me out, here.
wink.gif

Cheers!
cheers.gif

-Ray H - one of "The Great Unwashed Masses" apparently incapable of pouring pee out of a jar even with an instruction tag taped to the bottom...

Note to Motorbike: It can't be all PAO or engine seals would leak like a sieve. Some ester proportion has to be part of the base oil stocks to prevent seal shrinkage.

smile.gif
In formulated PAO's , the Ester that is used to counter seal shrinkage is considered part of the oil additives .

[ January 23, 2004, 10:36 PM: Message edited by: Motorbike ]

Yep it is PAO and better yet no other groups are blended in . It's all PAO with the additive pack .

So they now have 5w-20 5w-30 10w-30 and a 5w-50 that are true PAO Synlubes . They have a true PAO Blend as well in the High Performance Engine Blend .

It's only them and Mobil making PAO's now in over the counter lubes .

Thanks Q-State !
cool.gif
You have yourself's quite a line of motor oils now
cheers.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back