Is Quaker State 5w-20 a Decent Oil ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been driving a Honda Civic for about 8 months, and whenever I'm in a bind for oil changes I drop into the local QS quick oil change place. I like them because they are close to my work and can change my oil pretty quickly. When you hit their oil change place you basically get QS 5w-20 oil, they don't seem to have other brands as far as I can tell. When I put the oil in my Honda Civic it feels really smooth compared to the Honda fluids, not sure how thick it is in virgin form, but I know it has a decent amount of moly, and I can instantly feel a difference when I get an oil change there. The first time I had to double check that they used 5w-20 and not 5w-30 because it felt differnet, but they did us the 5w-20.

I also have a Ford Fusion 3.0L v6, and it calls for 5w-20 oil as well. In a recent visit to my local Canadian Tire store, Quaker State 5w-20 was one of the few 5w-20's available, so I just put that into the Fusion (I don't want to go synthetic quite yet with low milage). So I am not running it in two vehicles. It might be coincidental but the QS 5w-20 also feels a bit thicker in my Fusion, same difference is felt after an oil change to QS. I haven't checked to see if it meets Ford specifications, but I assumed that it did, can't see how an OTC oil wouldn't meet Ford specs, but I could be wrong. I was on a search to find Havoline 5w-20 but couldn't find it at Wallyworld or Canadian Tire, so I went with QS.

Anyone have opinions on this 5w-20 oil ?. I'm starting to feel more comfortable with 5w-20 oil despite initial concerns, my Fusion gets amazing fuel economy and I have to think the 5w-20 is helping in that regard. My 06 Civic gets astounding fuel economy but I gotta expect it to with its 1.8L engine, but the Fusion isn't far off despite a much larger engine and vehicle. As long as I can get good quality oil I'm not too concerned about running 5w-20 anymore in my vehicles, any extra bit of fuel economy is worth it in today's oil market.

thanks for any opinions on this.

Isn't Quaker State Shell's lowest quality oil (now that they've sold Wolf's Head to Amalie)? I think Pennzoil is Shell's best and Shell brand in next in line. Of course, none are bad.

Ken

It's getting confusing as to who owns what oil brand, I thought QS and Pennzoil were all the same now, but I guess they can have different levels of oil among different brand names still. I might be able to find some Pennzoil 5w-20 if I searched harder.

quote:

Originally posted by Ken2:
Isn't Quaker State Shell's lowest quality oil (now that they've sold Wolf's Head to Amalie)? I think Pennzoil is Shell's best and Shell brand in next in line. Of course, none are bad.

Ken

It goes....

Pennzoil
Quaker State
Shell

Keep on going with the QS 5W-20. Sleep well!

quote:

Originally posted by Ken2:

Ken

I think Shell is Shell's lowest quality oil if what I've heard is to be believed.

And from what I've heard, Wolf's Head was just repackaged Pennzoil.

And if QS is rated SM, then I think it would be a "decent quality" oil at this point...

quote:

Originally posted by Idrinkmotoroil:
It's getting confusing as to who owns what oil brand, I thought QS and Pennzoil were all the same now, but I guess they can have different levels of oil among different brand names still. I might be able to find some Pennzoil 5w-20 if I searched harder.

They were bought out by Shell. But Pennzoil had previously bought out QS. And they may indeed be almost the oil at this point.

quote:

I won't use any product from a company that still sells **** like SLICK 50.

Slick 50 is indeed one of the brands marketed by SOPUS (Shell Oil Products United States).

If you desire to display a bigot-like bias towards all Shell products, at least be consistent and include Valvoline(Ashland) products as well.

In 1997, Ashland was also issued a similar FTC ordered to stop advertising that the Valvoline version of Slick 50 reduced entine wear and provided better gas mileage.

FTC Order Issued for Valvoline TM8 Engine Treatment

Yeah, but Valvoline felt their's was slicker...
wink.gif

Well, I continue to be entertained by the convoluted logic that ties the negatives of the Slick 50 brand to the other Shell products.
smile.gif

Here is the basic timeline:

1995 - Quaker State acquires Slick 50 (At the time Slick50 had a 60% market share in the engine oil treatment market which equated to $85 million in annual sales.)

1996 - FTC issues complaint against Quaker State/ Slick 50

1998 - Pennzoil and Quaker State merge

2002 - Shell buys Pennzoil-Quaker State

And the President/CEO of Xcelplus (a PTFE engine treatment) also has negative comments regarding the SOPUS Slick 50 product:

[Q]uote
We are the original Slick 50 formula," states Bill Smith, President/CEO of Xcelplus. "When a customer buys Slick 50 today, a brand owned by Shell Oil after they bought Pennzoil/Quakerstate, that consumer is not getting the original formula. They're getting a reverse-engineered formula that doesn't stand up to the original formula's research and scientific claims. If they want the original formula, with all the credible US Department of Energy claims to back it up, the formula that built the Slick 50 brand, they can find it in a bottle of Xcelplus. And only Xcelplus."

[E]nd Quote

Xcelplus Reference Article

If you go to their website, it looks like the only thing w/ PTFE is their manual trans formula, their grea, and the penetrating oil.

Don't we have this discussion daily? Is ANY mainstream 5W20 SM going to be THAT bad in a Honda Civic???

As far as Slick 50 goes, isn't it "reformulated" now? Surely the "reformulated" version doesn't have PTFE in it, does it???

The QS 5w-20 is a excellent oil and will do great in both your Honda (as your finding out) and your Ford.

I'd use it (and have used QS products for many years) with no worries.
cheers.gif

Your well protected. As well as ANY other oil out there.

Just change it when the manual states and you'll have a nice clean well running engine for as long as you want.

Take care, Bill
biggthumbcoffe.gif

Exactly-thats why i refuse to buy quaker state. if im going to spend my money- why not make it with some one who hasn't been in trouble before? and still sells the product. Which is also why i won't buy penzoil, or probably shell. I will however stick to my valvoline.

quote:

Originally posted by miked2:
Getting back to the original discussion, Quaker State is a fine motor oil; as good as just about any SM rated oil. Personally, I have used QS exclusively for many years until I found this website. Never (knock on wood) an oil related issue.
This website has taught me to look for sales as a DIY-er.
By the way, best of luck with your new Fusion. I have read nothing but good things about them. Did you get the V-6?

Thanks !, I did get the 3.0L V6 Fusion SEL, its a great vehicle from my early experience with it. Handles well, really good fuel economy and enough power to get things done, lots of room but not too large of a vehicle either ,well packaged is the best way to describe it. I got the black leather interior with white stitching, which really makes the interior quite attractive. Nothing but good things to say about this car, which is the first Ford I've ever owned.

Getting back to the original discussion, Quaker State is a fine motor oil; as good as just about any SM rated oil. Personally, I have used QS exclusively for many years until I found this website. Never (knock on wood) an oil related issue.
This website has taught me to look for sales as a DIY-er.
By the way, best of luck with your new Fusion. I have read nothing but good things about them. Did you get the V-6?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back