Is premium fuel necessary in a 2018 Chevy Equinox with the 2.0 engine?

Hi all,

I have a 2018 Chevy Equinox with the 2.0 engine. Wondering if premium fuel is actually necessary. The mannual says premium is recommended (not required). I can most easily get 87 or 91 fuel, 93 is hard to find in my area. The car seems to run about the same on 87 and 91, maybe slightly better on 91. What are your thoughts?

Thanks!

Most owner's manuals say to use 87 octane or higher. In other words, it'll run just fine on regular 87 octane.
Only if your owner's manual requires premium fuel should you use that. Not saying "RECOMMENDS". If it recommends higher octane than it is your option. If the owner's manual says "REQUIRES" , the you must and should use that octane requirement.

It's probably able to detune to run on 87. But I've found small turbo engines run much stronger on premium if they are tuned for it. Which is implied in this case by the manual recommending it.

Most noticeable under high load in the summer. Winter you may not notice any difference.

Quick screen shot from the online owners manual.
We are addicted to 87 octane in North America. The auto makers wanna do away with 87 octane being available at the pump so Joe Dumb doesn't fill his new 2028 Silverado with 87 octane.

Screen Shot 2022-07-25 at 9.31.32 AM.jpeg

It's probably able to detune to run on 87. But I've found small turbo engines run much stronger on premium if they are tuned for it. Which is implied in this case by the manual recommending it.

Most noticeable under high load in the summer. Winter you may not notice any difference.
This is correct. My Ford manual says the same thing (but 91 or greater) so I use premium May-October then 87 when cooler...

not running Premium in the GF's 2013 Malibu with the LTG 2.0 Turbo (original OM didn't say Premium recommended then nor was it mentioned on the window sticker or fuel fill door) yielded a slight drop in performance but more significantly about 4-5 less MPGs in city driving...in the end, around ChicagoLand anyway where 93 octane is plentiful, it all came out in the wash price wise ...her car has had Costco Top Tier premium unleaded since about 2014 without issue...

Good luck with your choice

Bill

If it's a turbo, use premium
In the winter unless you are towing it will run better on rug.

My friends who own those (like me) use 88e15 (summer) in those rigs

You don’t gain much using 93 except gaining a lighter wallet, also would have to drive 20 miles out of your way to fill at the one gas station in the county that carries it.

Now if I was pulling a 5th wheel, might use 91 premium or e20/e30 (if available)

Attachments

• 92B5A922-60C5-4E1B-AB51-0AA22124742E.jpeg
    92B5A922-60C5-4E1B-AB51-0AA22124742E.jpeg
    205 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:
GM: "Highly recommended."

BITOG: "I will do it my way."
Those recommending 93 don’t realize it simply doesn’t exist in many areas. Premium around here is 91, period.

Since We top out at 91, with a $1 to $2 price spread with 88octane and the fact that the manual does not forbid 87 means Premium is optional with the notable exceptions of extreme heat or heavy towing.

Unless the op is at the track in Death Valley I think they will be fine with whatever fuel they use

In the winter unless you are towing it will run better on rug.

My friends who own those (like me) use 88e15 (summer) in those rigs

You don’t gain much using 93 except gaining a lighter wallet, also would have to drive 20 miles out of your way to fill at the one gas station in the county that carries it.

Now if I was pulling a 5th wheel, might use 91 premium or e20/e30 (if available)

Do you have a turbo? Does your car say to use premium? What kind of car do you have? :unsure:

Those recommending 93 don’t realize it simply doesn’t exist in many areas. Premium around here is 91, period.

Since We top out at 91, with a $1 to $2 price spread with 88octane and the fact that the manual does not forbid 87 means Premium is optional with the notable exceptions of extreme heat or heavy towing.

Unless the op is at the track in Death Valley I think they will be fine with whatever fuel they use

Doesn't have to be 93. If the max you can get is 91, that is fine, but 87 is NOT suitable for a turbo! They just say 87 is OK so they don't scare you away from the turbo they need to meet CAFE standards :sneaky:

If it's a turbo, use premium
My VW 1.4t didnt want premium. I tried but it said no buddy! dont want it.

Same with my Ford 12.5:1 compression 2 litre. Seemed to like 91 when the motor was new and tight. After wear in - NOPE ! Just good gasoline.
Seems to like a mix of Mobil and Irving. The Irving use to be a notorous pinger - the worst of the 87's.

GM says you motor wants high octane.

Do you have a turbo? Does your car say to use premium? What kind of car do you have? :unsure:

Yes I have a car that requires Premium, even though it’s been off the road waiting for parts 6 months my volt requires premium and does not allow RUG.

AKA Not optional

I’ve been running 88 since year 2 of ownership.

Measuring knock values 88e15 is nearly identical to premium and far better than 87.

I have a truck that recommends of all things 89 and a small car that recommends premium but accepts 87

I also occasionally run e20 or e30.

I typically run 88e15 in the summer and Rug in the winter

My friends own small turbo vehicles and use 88 extensively.

No problems yet 10 years in.

Only way to know for certain would be to test his car counting knock at different temperatures with different fuels, my experience and my friends experience with 88e15 has been very positive especially in hot weather and if I do get a small turbo gas 88 is likely what I would run.

Only exception would be mountain or towing I might splurge or make a Frankenbrew of ethanol

Last edited:
Back