Is petrocam-hybrite-15w40 a good / bad oil for 125CC bikes

Hi guys
I have SYM XS125K. My son has Honda CGL 125.
Both recommend 10W40. My (newer) bike has SL requirement.

After reading all 6 chapters on XWYY oil ratings, I now need to know . . .
Is petrocam-hybrite a good brand of oil I have never heard of it before.
We live near the coast (frost free area) so ambient temperatures are seldom very low.
And summer is on it's way, so temperatures are likely to get warmer in the next few months.

Please we need advice urgently, so I can buy the right oil for both bikes.
10W40's are more expensive than 15W40's and so I ask. Please advise.

Kind regards
QueenB

As long as it meets the specs it will be fine. i assume you're in Australia but here in the us shell rotella t4 is jaso spec'd and guys use it in their bikes with success. what does it say on the back of the bottle. do you have pics?

As long as it meets the specs it will be fine. i assume you're in Australia but here in the us shell rotella t4 is jaso spec'd and guys use it in their bikes with success. what does it say on the back of the bottle. do you have pics?
Actually it’s not licensed.

I'm in South Africa. My SYM needs API SL so the petrocam wouldn't work. It was an online thing to order, so I cannot look at the bottle. That is why I asked you guys. Thanks for the feedback. Appreciate your kind assistance.

I also asked a local biker and he said in SA, the hot climate means 20W50 is best, even for bikes. Obviously, the warm up after starting up is important for the oil to get around before riding off into the distance.

Thanks again

I could not even find an active website for Petrocam their domain seems 404.

The SYM seems like a Honda Clone.

Single, shared sump engine and trans and chain final drive? Air cooled?

What else is available?

20/50 is probably fine..

I could not even find an active website for Petrocam their domain seems 404.

The SYM seems like a Honda Clone.

Single, shared sump engine and trans and chain final drive? Air cooled?

What else is available?

20/50 is probably fine..
Both bikes only have one place to put oil, so I'm guessing it's shared oil. Both are air cooled. Chain is outside - from small front sprocket to big back sprocket. We use Chain Lube.
SYM marketing guy said it's backed by Kawasaki, but I've heard a number of people say it's a Honda look alike.
Engine is open and easy to work on. Only plastic side panels to cover battery, etc.
This is my SYM. Her name is Sparkle.

SYM-XS125K-Sparkle.jpg

Please we need advice urgently, so I can buy the right oil for both bikes.
10W40's are more expensive than 15W40's and so I ask. Please advise.

What oil viscosity options are called out in the owner's manual?

Actually it’s not licensed.
A lot of JASO MA/MA1/MA2 specified oils from major motorcycle oil manufacturers (Castrol, Valvoline, Mobil, Shell, etc) are not officially licensed through JASO.

Both bikes recommend 10W40 in owner's manuals. But we do not even get frost here. It's is a very temperate climate, because we are close to the sea. Temperature, even in mid-winter, does not even get close to 0°C
Warmer weather is on the way, with Summer just around the corner.
A local biker suggested using 20W50 because of the climate here. So that is what I'm thinking of doing.

Both bikes recommend 10W40 in owner's manuals. But we do not even get frost here. It's is a very temperate climate, because we are close to the sea. Temperature, even in mid-winter, does not even get close to 0°C
Warmer weather is on the way, with Summer just around the corner.
A local biker suggested using 20W50 because of the climate here. So that is what I'm thinking of doing.
The manual only calls out 10W-40 and no other optional viscosity like most motorcycle manuals do?

This is from my Yamaha XSR900. It recommends 10W-40 but shows other optional viscosity oil. If your manual calls out 10W-40 then I see no reason you couldn't use 15W-40 or even 20W-50 in your climate.

1635894185067.jpg

Last edited:
That may be true.
It is true. Look at the back of the bottle on all those manufacturers motorcycle oil and none of them have the official JASO licensing logo on them. They are also not listed in the official JASO licensing document list. The only time I've seen the official JASO licensing logo is on a bottle of YAMALUBE bought from a Yamaha dealership. Most OEM brands like Yamaha, Kawasaki, Honda and Suzuki will have the official JASO licensing logo on the oil bottle.

I have never seen the JASO licensing logo on any Castrol, Valvoline or Mobil motorcycle specific oil.

1635892606266.jpeg

It is true. Look at the back of the bottle on all those manufacturers motorcycle oil and none of them have the official JASO licensing logo on them. They are also not listed in the official JASO licensing document list.
No, I wasn't questioning your statement. I just meant that it's not JASO licensed, whether they call it "speced" or "specified" or "meets specs" it should be labeled as "recommended for" if it's not licensed. I was agreeing that many probably do not have the license.

No, I wasn't questioning your statement. I just meant that it's not JASO licensed, whether they call it "speced" or "specified" or "meets specs" it should be labeled as "recommended for" if it's not licensed. I was agreeing that many probably do not have the license.
I don't see anything wrong with the bottle saying "Meets or Exceeds JASO MA/MA2" or similar statement. They are putting their reputation on the line, so doubt they would say that if it wasn't true, lawsuits and all.

Valvoline Motorcycle Oil - No JASO License logo.

1635892782338.jpeg

Castrol Motorcycle Oil - No JASO License logo.

1635893272902.jpeg

Last edited:
No you are correct. I had recalled that the last time I looked at one of those containers it conflated actual approvals with recommendations. Either it has changed or my memory is faulty.

Looking back it was this statement I was thinking about from their PDS. It conflates what are actual approvals, specifications and recommendations. They do a better job on the container.

Capture.JPG

Capture 2.JPG

Back