Is Pennzoil worth 10 cents more than Quaker State?

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by G-Man II:

The spec sheets themselves show that these oils are not the same.
rolleyes.gif

I decided to check that out myself, but did not find any specs at www.pennzoil.com. Where do you get them?

SpitIX, it's not personal. I have no beef with you. I do, however, have an grudge against the worthless dingbats who answer "customer service" lines.

They, as a class across the industry, are clueless either because the companies don't want them to proviode detailed information or they are not provided with anything above and beyond marketing babble and maybe a retailer list.

Perhaps crazeee Johnny will pop in here and set things straight. Base oils, etc ... might have changed.
dunno.gif

--- Bror Jace

Well, here's Johnny. I don't know who you talked to at the number you called, but I would sure like to have that persons name. Because what they told you is ABSOLUTELY WRONG. There is as much difference in these brands as there is night and day. Different base stocks, different additive packages, blended at different packaging plants in different parts of the country. The only thing Pennzoil and Quaker State have in common is they are both owned by Shell. And G-Man II is correct when he says the formulas will not be the same. I don't know what else I can say, this is the way it is.

quote:

Originally posted by Bror Jace:
..... I do, however, have an grudge against the worthless dingbats who answer "customer service" lines.

They, as a class across the industry, are clueless either because the companies don't want them to proviode detailed information or they are not provided with anything above and beyond marketing babble and maybe a retailer list.

--- Bror Jace

Nope, not even a retailer list. I e-mailed Shell and asked where I could find Pennz. Synth 5w-50. They said they had no way to provide that information.
pat.gif

Dave

Quaker State does not use Boron

Pennzoil does

Now come time for API SM GF-4 all is subject to change

Even now the Motorcraft SL is using Moly but has not lowered the zinc/phos yet .

While sorta on topic a rumor was started way back the API SL GF-3 would require entirely a group II basestock to make the grade . It simply was not so . Many oils were or rather are group I/II blends . One low cost dino seems to be a group II/II+ blend ....it's a 5w-30wt .

We'll see what happens come the next API spec change

[ May 12, 2004, 05:20 PM: Message edited by: Motorbike ]

Off topic, but of a similar slant......many people say to buy NAPA oil since it is just repackaged Valvoline (Ashland Oil). Yet, when I called their tech. (Scott), he told me that they were different oils and that NAPA had a LESS robust additive package than the Valvoline. I wonder what the truth is.

quote:

Originally posted by Brett Miller:
I didn't think it was possible to have a less robust additive package than Valvoline
dunno.gif

It is. It's called non-detergent.
grin.gif

SpitIX, if you got correct information from an oil producer's 800 number, write down the date. It might be the first time in human history!
shocked.gif

--- Bror Jace

quote:

Originally posted by SpitIX:
Anyway, I called the Pennzoil customer service number a couple of months ago and asked the rep who answered the phone if there was any difference in the two oils (5w-30)and the immediate answer was that they were identical except for the packaging. So there. You can call yourself and check if you want. The number is on the Pennzoil.com site.
Thanks.

Yeah, I put as much stock in the answers you get from these oil company customer service people as I do in the answers you get from fortune tellers.

The spec sheets themselves show that these oils are not the same.
rolleyes.gif

Thank you all for the replies.

It's nice to find out Pennzoil is a much better oil than Quaker State. As for the price difference, had QS been the same as Pennzoil, it would be like getting every tenth bottle free.
smile.gif
Getting something for nothing, priceless.

It's nice to see Johnny show up now and then ... kinda like Jack Nicholas in The Shining.
wink.gif

n8wvi, I am sorry. It seems I have vastly over estimated the value of oil 800 numbers.
rolleyes.gif
I stand corrected.
wink.gif

'bike, good call. I had not even though of checking the additive packages.
blush.gif

And Brett,
cheers.gif

--- Bror Jace

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back