Is Pennzoil the best conventional motor oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is Pennzoil the best OTC conventional motor oil? It seems to me that people at this web site had basically decided that Pennzoil, Castrol GTX, and Chevron Supreme are the best three conventional motor oils. But some negative information has come up concerning Chevron Supreme (it did not do well in a freezer test) and Castrol.

So does this put Pennzoil in a class by itself? In a freezer test the Pennzoil did well and it protects about as good as any other motor oil.

I have not been here long but I do not think there is one brand of oil that will be best for every one, the right oil can be different for diffrent kinda of cars and locations amd driving style

example: freezer tests may be very important to you in CO but here in GA just about any normal wt oil will pump even on our coldest winter morning

i think the pennzoil, castrol gtx and the chevron supreme are all fine oils. the best of the 3? i would have to say which ever of them i could readily get without having to break my neck to find, and were on sale. this excludes the chevron, which used to be readily obtainable at wal-mart, but seems to be disapearing from their shelves. if you are stuck on the chevron and don't want to buy it at a "gas station" and pay a premium, go with havoline. you can find it all over, and on sale much of the time too. very similar, if not identical, oil. right now wally world has 5qt jugs of pennzoil for 6.88 and castrol for 7.88. i don't think you can go wrong with either. penz

As I have said on some similar threads, I like to stick with the same product. Even though the dying city I live in has fewer places to buy Pennzoil than years ago, I can still easily find it, or what ever Shell is now selling as Pure Base.

quote:

Originally posted by Mystic:
Is Pennzoil the best OTC conventional motor oil? It seems to me that people at this web site had basically decided that Pennzoil, Castrol GTX, and Chevron Supreme are the best three conventional motor oils. But some negative information has come up concerning Chevron Supreme (it did not do well in a freezer test) and Castrol.

So does this put Pennzoil in a class by itself? In a freezer test the Pennzoil did well and it protects about as good as any other motor oil.

3 Musketeers: Pennz, Castrol, Chevron. Pennz and Castrol, rumors of "Black Death" phenomenon* for people who use them....this was 2 decades ago. Chevron: no rumors of "Black Death." Having said all this, I myself use Castrol GTX, always have, always will, except for next year when I will use Schaeffer Supreme 7000 exclusively.

*where motor oil becomes like the black tar used by Highway Repair crews.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back