Is Pennzoil Syn Blend As Good As The Yellow Bottle

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone know for sure if the pennzoil synthetic blend is as good or better than the yellow bottle. I know the blend is dexos approved but is it as highly regarded here on Bitog as the yellow bottle?

I'd happily use it in place of PYB. For most engines, it should be just fine. The only engines I'd worry about would be turbo engines, since those push an oil far more than do most NA engines.

DEXOS-1 is superior to some API/ISLAC performance criteria inferior in others.

Is the "synblend" a better lubrication answer is dependent on your criteria.

Originally Posted By: dave1251

Wrong. Dexos1 oil is always SN/GF-5 as a baseline, all three specs exist together for all oils.

I've read that PYB is 30% - 35% synthetic and Pennzoil's Syn-Blend is at least 50% (Group III), so that leads me to believe the gold bottle is superior to the yellow bottle.

Originally Posted By: boundarylayer

Wrong. Dexos1 oil is always SN/GF-5 as a baseline, all three specs exist together for all oils.

dexos1 doesn't test for everything ILSAC does...

Look at the PZ website, and see for yourself:

http://www.pennzoil.com/motor-oil/

How would a syn-blend NOT be as good as a conventional?
crazy2.gif

Please show us you know what you are posting about. I doubt you have the ability.

Originally Posted By: gfh77665
Look at the PZ website, and see for yourself:

http://www.pennzoil.com/motor-oil/

How would a syn-blend NOT be as good as a conventional?
crazy2.gif

Marketing claims are not sufficient data.

Compiling more stringent performance requirements with some criteria while decreasing performance requirements in other areas, does meet the definition of better.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3437352/ILSAC_GF4/GF5/dexos1_compariso

To prove the claim of better requires testing, tear downs, and analysis. To assume because an label and marketing claims an product is better is
crazy2.gif

I saw that already but it did not say why it is better and besides im sure there are some syn blends that are not as good as the ones that are marketed as dino.

What i should have asked is does anyone know where to get the specs of both oils?
I did not see it on pqia's website yet and not really sure if they are so accurate either.

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
I saw that already but it did not say why it is better and besides im sure there are some syn blends that are not as good as the ones that are marketed as dino.

What i should have asked is does anyone know where to get the specs of both oils?
I did not see it on pqia's website yet and not really sure if they are so accurate either.

To answer definitely one is better than the other would require more money and time over a period of years with testing and monitoring beyond what the average person on bitog has access to the resources required.

Even simple VOA's and UOA's have shown in the past PYB meets some DEXOS-1 requirements other DEXOS-1 requirements are beyond the scope of data VOA's and UOA's provide.

I also would have to wonder even if the "conventional" oil would meet all dexos specifications would a company want to label it as such. It would seem to be better marketing to test and label a higher priced oil. Not saying PYB would meet the Dexos standards. I have no idea. Just throwing my conspiracy theory out there for everyone else to ponder.

Umm, no. There is a thread here that shows certain differences, and I don't think I've ever come across the claim that they were the same before.

As for the conspiracy theory that conventional could meet dexos1 but no one is trying because they want to sell their synthetics and blends, I'm skeptical. SOPUS may not want to. XOM wouldn't, either. But surely, someone would want the opportunity to take a bite out of Pennzoil's lead in conventional sales, and a dexos1 rated conventional would be a useful tool in that regard.

Originally Posted By: Garak

Umm, no. There is a thread here that shows certain differences, and I don't think I've ever come across the claim that they were the same before.

As for the conspiracy theory that conventional could meet dexos1 but no one is trying because they want to sell their synthetics and blends, I'm skeptical. SOPUS may not want to. XOM wouldn't, either. But surely, someone would want the opportunity to take a bite out of Pennzoil's lead in conventional sales, and a dexos1 rated conventional would be a useful tool in that regard.

To certify this oil for DEXOS-1 would guarantee loss of revenue while banking on the ability of gain market-share which is an dubious prospect.

Oh probably, I was thinking of a smaller blender or someone who hasn't got much to lose. Shell wouldn't do it, neither would Mobil, and I doubt Castrol or Ashland would be interested, either. Usually, though, if something can be done for a profit, it will be done for a profit by someone.

I do know that certain dexos1 metrics, like the Noack limit, would be much easier to meet if they allowed something like a 10w-30 grade, which, of course, is not part of the specification.

im sure there are some syn blends that are not as good as the ones that are marketed as dino.

??????????????????????

Originally Posted By: KitaCam
im sure there are some syn blends that are not as good as the ones that are marketed as dino.

??????????????????????

Research products advertised being synthetic blends. Many have the same OEM certifications and recommendations as "conventional" PCMO's. Some examples. All of blends from Phillps, Smitty's, and Mag-1 are a few examples.

Certifications are minimum standards and say nothing about products that exceed them....Perhaps a quality dino might exceed a cheap blend based on the ad-pack, but I wouldn't expect "brand-name" blend to be less capable than a conventional...but...

There is the consideration you must give to the conventional's ad-pack that may have specific cababilities (e.g. HM sealants) than the blend without that ad-pack.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back