Is Orowheat usually $5.50 in your area or usually discounted to $2.50 regularly?

So my wife and kids like Orowheat and I just eat cheap $1.50 OvenJoy bread (store brand). Since I buy them in Safeway in my area, I am used to seeing them at $2.50-3.00 all the time "on sale" when they mark up to the regular $5.50 when they are not. When I travel outside of my area I see most similar or better bread sold for $4.50-5.50 all the time, or $3.50 all the time in some "Walmart like places".

So this gets me thinking, what is the typical price for a loaf of 24oz wide pan bread?

I get mine from Sam's Club $4.98 for two loaves. Dillons (Kroger affiliate) occasionally runs it on sale for the $2.49 also.

My favorites are butter bread and potato bread.
Kids love the Land o Lake butter one, wife likes the healthy multi-grain one with sesame on top. Neither of them go on discount often like the buttermilk or country white one.

I actually don't mind the regular Ovenjoy cheap stuff, they stink a little but they are fluffy, goes well with peanut butter and jelly, will fill you up very quickly if you eat 4 slices with them, and calories per dollar index is unbeatable.

Kids love the Land o Lake butter one, wife likes the healthy multi-grain one with sesame on top. Neither of them go on discount often like the buttermilk or country white one.

I actually don't mind the regular Ovenjoy cheap stuff, they stink a little but they are fluffy, goes well with peanut butter and jelly, will fill you up very quickly if you eat 4 slices with them, and calories per dollar index is unbeatable.

Safeway actually makes all their own house branded sliced bread. Heck - I've even seen some of the stuff they make at 99 Cents Only. It's easy to spot because the corporate address is in Pleasanton under the "Better Living Brands" moniker. Not sure exactly where it's made now, but I remember decades ago, Safeway had a warehouse in Richmond, California. It was in a remote part of the city, but even further away from the freeway was (pre merger with Costco) Price Club. And there was the smell of the bakery on the side.

Another place was the Kilpatrick's bakery in Oakland on I-880. It changed names (I think Rainbo was the final name on the sign before they closed) several times before Bimbo (which bought them out) closed the bakery. Here's some photos from Yelp in 2011.

o.jpg

o.jpg

o.jpg

But if you want food to dollar ratio, I don't think dollar stores are that bad. They don't always have bread in stock though. Also Target or Walmart with their house brand for anywhere from 90 cents to $1.29.

There are some food that I would not mind the brand as long as they are fresh and safe to eat, and there are some that I really have to get good enough quality and will pay extra for (eggs, Safeway one will hardboil into some weird mess for example). Frequently my bread collection at home reaches 3-4 loaves of different types for the family, and I would either eat the "old" bread or the cheap one myself while the wife and kids each eat their favorite $3-3.50 one. To me as long as it is below $2 per 16 oz I'm ok. I think making a special trip to get the 99c one instead of $1.49 is not worth the difference (I will make the trip to get one for $3 instead of $5 however, picking up other stuff along the way).

There are some food that I would not mind the brand as long as they are fresh and safe to eat, and there are some that I really have to get good enough quality and will pay extra for (eggs, Safeway one will hardboil into some weird mess for example). Frequently my bread collection at home reaches 3-4 loaves of different types for the family, and I would either eat the "old" bread or the cheap one myself while the wife and kids each eat their favorite $3-3.50 one. To me as long as it is below $2 per 16 oz I'm ok. I think making a special trip to get the 99c one instead of $1.49 is not worth the difference (I will make the trip to get one for $3 instead of $5 however, picking up other stuff along the way).

I grew up near Berkeley and worked in the area. I’d go out of my way for Acme Bread, although it used to be cheap in the 90s. I think it was 80 cents for a baguette at the bakery store in Berkeley although the prices have gone way up since. These days the Safeway French style bread isn’t bad, and it’s usually baked on site, although I believe it’s usually prepped at a central commissary.

But I have fond memories of Colombo bread. I’d see the delivery truck in front of a supermarket and know it was freshly baked. I’d go in and usually it was still warm. The bakery (part of the San Francisco French Bread Comoany with other brands like Parisian and Toscana) was in Oakland just north of the Coliseum. Even after it was shut down, that sign was there maybe maybe a decade.

Here in MD I only find Bimbo brand products at the Hispanic/International stores. No Orowheat though, just the snack cakes and such.

Orowheat is good stuff , high fiber whole wheat flour as a first ingredient. I usually spring for Either a local bakery, or Dave's Killer bread which has whole wheat flour as a first ingredient (not enriched wheat flour).

Here in MD I only find Bimbo brand products at the Hispanic/International stores. No Orowheat though, just the snack cakes and such.

Really? Grupo Bimbo own a ton of American regional and national brands that previously consolidated as Sara Lee Bread. If there's any Hispanic population, I would think any local Walmarts would have Bimbo branded sliced bread.

Really? Grupo Bimbo own a ton of American regional and national brands that previously consolidated as Sara Lee Bread. If there's any Hispanic population, I would think any local Walmarts would have Bimbo branded sliced bread.

I also notice either Bimbo or Orowheat but not together. I think they are made for each market and try not to dilute their brands.

Back