Is old fertilizer still good?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by atikovi
I have 2 open bags of Scotts fertilizer and a sealed box of tree or shrub fertilizer spikes. They must be 20 if not 30 years old. Still usable?

I would be more concerned about all the nearby ocean salt water, that drifted in the air, for the last 20-30 years.

Salt is not a greening-friend of an already existing well manicured - well maintained lawn.
Personally, if the granules are not hard as a rock already and not infiltrated by salt, I'd first try it for a 30 days look-see, restricted to the inside of your backyard.

Test it back there, before using it on your front lawn.

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
I have 2 open bags of Scotts fertilizer and a sealed box of tree or shrub fertilizer spikes. They must be 20 if not 30 years old. Still usable?

I would be more concerned about all the nearby ocean salt water, that drifted in the air, for the last 20-30 years.

Salt is not a greening-friend of an already existing well manicured - well maintained lawn.
Personally, if the granules are not hard as a rock already and not infiltrated by salt, I'd first try it for a 30 days look-see, restricted to the inside of your backyard.

He is in Washington D.C. so any salt water / salt air would be 50+ miles away, and even then its only like 10% brackish. The real ocean is probably 100+ miles away.

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en

By open bags I should have said, OPENED bags. No they are not open to the atmosphere. I haven't fertilized the lawn here in 20+ years and found those when cleaning up the basement. Can I spread it this time of year?

It is fine as long as it isn't a solid rock, then you need a hammer to break it apart. However if it is hydroscopic like some I've used, you might have a wet mess that is a pain to try to apply, and could even be health threatening if you get too much of that liquid on your skin at once.

Yes you can spread it this time of year, but it is a bit of a waste to do so now because the lawn won't make much use of it now that DC winter is upon you, much will rinse away with rain and snow. You might as well sit on it till spring, or if any is calcium chloride, use that to melt ice.

The spikes, you may find that they crumble when you try to drive them in the ground. You might want a wooden or metal stake to make a hole to drop them in.

Its still usable. But maybe in chunks and a pain to spread. I have not had good luck figuring a spreader would break up the chunks. Either break the chunks up or put the chunks around landscape plantings.

Don't fertilize frozen ground. Too much of a chance of runoff.

Last edited:
Depending on the form of the nitrogen in the fertilizer, the nitrogen may melt or volatilize over time and the fertilize will lose its greening ability. The potassium and phosphate should still be there however.

A good tip that I learned from the owner of my local hardware store- most nitrogen or granular fertilizer is corrosive, so keep it away from metal parts in your garage or shed. Lawn mowers, weed wackers, garden tools etc. Same for ice melt / salt.

Only if it didn't take on moisture and turn into a big clump. I tried to use half a bag left over from prior year and wouldn't go through the spreader. I through it away and bought a new bag.

Originally Posted by Lou_Boyle
Depending on the form of the nitrogen in the fertilizer, the nitrogen may melt or volatilize over time and the fertilize will lose its greening ability. The potassium and phosphate should still be there however.

Urea will volatilize when exposed to air. If the bag is sealed I would use it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back