Is my copy of Windows 7 used up?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have replaced my old Mac computer with a new Mac. I used a partition to run the Mac as a PC. The Windows 7 installation on the new computer went okay and it seemed to accept the product key. But the Windows 7 on my new computer does not see my network even though it is there. Is this Microsoft's way of telling me that I have "used up" my product key when I installed Windows on my old computer?

No. If there is issues activating Windows it will make it very obvious and offer you to either call for support or buy a new key.

Likely you just have network driver issues or something else

What kind of Windows disk is it? If it is an OEM version I do not think it will activate on more than one computer.

no you have other issues that arent any type of copy protection/slap on the wrist scheme from microsoft.

Open Control Panel, click on "System" (using the icon approach).

Toward the bottom of the screen, there's a section called "Windows Activation" which will indicate the current status.

Originally Posted By: flanso
I have replaced my old Mac computer with a new Mac. I used a partition to run the Mac as a PC. The Windows 7 installation on the new computer went okay and it seemed to accept the product key. But the Windows 7 on my new computer does not see my network even though it is there. Is this Microsoft's way of telling me that I have "used up" my product key when I installed Windows on my old computer?

No. That would have nothing to do with the network.

The first thing to do is to check Device Manager to see if the network adapter has a problem, such as a driver that didn't install.
Go: Start > Control Panel > Device Manager.
("Start" is the round thing at bottom left with the swooshy 4-color window in it)
See anything with a yellow exclamation mark, or a red X?

Originally Posted By: flanso
... But the Windows 7 on my new computer does not see my network even though it is there...

What exactly do you mean by that? Do you mean it doesn't see other computers on the network or do you mean that it doesn't see the router? Do you have internet access on that computer?

If it's an issue with seeing other computers, I'm guessing it's an issue with the advanced sharing settings and/or Homegroup set up.

It was a problem with the network adapter. The Mac install procedure creates a new .exe file that I needed to install after the Windows install was completed. The new file contained the network adapter drivers. Everything works now. Thank you all for the guidance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back