Is Motorcraft the new Havoline?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just picked up six quarts at Wal-mart for around $16. From what I have read on the forum, it seems like a decent oil. Do I smell the next Havoline?

Havoline was the sleeper conventional. It got no love for market share ..so they needed to raise the price. The marketing weasels started the Deposit Shield campaign and upped the price. Now those who supported the limited market share spent more money and they may have snagged a few more in the process. Same good oil.

MC was always the semi-synth bargain of the decade. Wally's couldn't keep it on the shelf shortly after the 5w-20 came to market.

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
Havoline was the sleeper conventional. It got no love for market share ..so they needed to raise the price. The marketing weasels started the Deposit Shield campaign and upped the price. Now those who supported the limited market share spent more money and they may have snagged a few more in the process. Same good oil.

MC was always the semi-synth bargain of the decade. Wally's couldn't keep it on the shelf shortly after the 5w-20 came to market.
+1 What he said. 5w20 everyday jug price at Wally has always been tough to beat. Quarts prices not quite as good but still very competitive. IMO, the fact that they don't advertise has enabled them to keep the price down, for a good product.

Used to use Havoline because it was a great value, then DS came along and other oils like MC became more attractive based on value.

Honestly, the price of Motorcraft is hard to beat. It's very competitively priced against conventional oils even though it's a semi-synthetic; and it's put up great wear numbers. I wouldn't hesitate to put it in any of my cars. I just wish you could find the 5w-30 in jugs

It seems like an excellent choice, compared to other $2 dino oils. Slap an A1 spec on it and you'd have a killer $2 oil deal. If it is truly up to "semi-syn" standards, it should reference the same ACEA spec that other Semi-syns have, like DuraBlend and Syntec Blend.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
How good can MCSS be with the weak looking VOA? Do I have to post the numbers?

from Stinky Petersons data -RIP
5w-30
YB left column, MCSS right column

Mo 179-34
Bo 51-trace
Ca 1476-1732
P 556-602
Zn 668-655

Ive read the CP guy going on about special cut from the tower to get polar naphthenes in the mix for enhanced lubricity - so maybe thats the Motorcraft trick. I dont think its any more semisynth than any other GF4 like say, clean5000

How good can MCSS be with the weak looking VOA? Do I have to post the numbers?

This assumes that all that is contained is apparent in VOA. Being void of "the usual suspects" doesn't appear to detract from its performance. How can this be?

I would think that if anyone can hang the "semi-synth" label on their oil ..they would ..just to charge $0.75 more a quart (or whatever they get).

A good base blend doesnt need exotic additistion?

It may have additives that aren't included in the typical VOA.

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
A good base blend doesnt need exotic additistion?

It may have additives that aren't included in the typical VOA.

Aaah, the secret ingredient is &^%$#@)(*&

Originally Posted By: Jaymus
VOA's may not appease your eyes, but any UOA with Motorcraft syn blend will.
01.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back