Is Motorcraft 5w30 Really a Syn-Blend

Status
Not open for further replies.
So why would they put that if its just Hydrocracked?? What is the alternative explanation?

Customer: Mr. Ford why did the back of your bottle say its part synthetic? Is this really true?

Ford: Well Mr. Customer, we were trying to save money and since we already had a bunch of labels printed for the 5w20, we just pasted them on the 5w30 bottle, but we didn't think anyone would notice.

grin.gif

I would say that as far as the makeup of mc5w30 , its definitely faith and interpretation. It does work well though.
dunno.gif

quote:

Originally posted by '00obw:
On the front and back of MC 5w30 bottles states "Super Premium Motor Oil" and in small print in the back "Formulated with our synthetic/hydrocracked base oils...". The MC 5w20 front and back states "Premium Synthetic Blend Motor Oil" with the same small print in the back. The MC 10w30 states "Super Premium Motor Oil", front and back, and in small print, "Formulated with our hydrocracked base oils..." in the back. I would think that if 5w30 was really a syn-blend, Motorcraft would announce prodominatly as in their 5w20 and not hidden in the small print. What do you think?

bgin

BTW...the motorcraft.com site still lists their passenger car engine oil's as SJ rated.

MC 5W-30 has some group II and some group III. How much? Who knows! I believe the industry standard requires 11% Group III to be labeled semi-synthetic. The possibility exists that 5W-30 has less than 11% so it is not entitled to be labeled synthetic blend.

However Conoco Hydroclear 5W-20 (Same as Motorcraft 5W-20) is not marketed as a blend like the MC.

The folowing is what I believe to be a pretty close guess on MC oils formulation but it is basically conjecture so take it with a grain of salt.

5W-20 = 85% Group II+ / 15% Group III.

5W-30 = 60% Group II / 30% Group II+ / 10% Group III.

10W-30 = 70% Group II / 30% Group II+.

10W-40 = 60% Group I / 40% Group II

The 10W-40 is a old formulation I expect to be changed before long.

I also believe they use a pretty high quality additive package that includes some organics that dont show up on a VOA.

Again just pure conjecture but these are the figures I use for trying to compare them to other oils.

Gene

GeneK, I was gonna post, but I think you came pretty close to hittin' the nail on the head.

The 10W-40 has the same labelling now also.

If pricing is a guide, AutoZone lists the 5w20 at $2.19qt and 5w30, 10w30 and 10w40 at $1.59qt. The local Wal-Marts list all 4 at $1.46qt. The 10w40 just states "Premium Motor Oil".

bgin

My local walmarts have all Motorcraft procucts including 5w20 and 5w30 for $1.42 qt. I am currently using Havoline 5w30 in both vehicles and its tempting to switch.

On the front and back of MC 5w30 bottles states "Super Premium Motor Oil" and in small print in the back "Formulated with our synthetic/hydrocracked base oils...". The MC 5w20 front and back states "Premium Synthetic Blend Motor Oil" with the same small print in the back. The MC 10w30 states "Super Premium Motor Oil", front and back, and in small print, "Formulated with our hydrocracked base oils..." in the back. I would think that if 5w30 was really a syn-blend, Motorcraft would announce prodominatly as in their 5w20 and not hidden in the small print. What do you think?

bgin

BTW...the motorcraft.com site still lists their passenger car engine oil's as SJ rated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back