Is more really better?

Originally Posted by Fattylocks
Is more really better?

Of course it is. If a little is good, more is better.

Yeah, but less is more...although, now that I think about it, if less is more, just think how more more is!!!

Also, is anyone going to recommend that less see a head-shrink? I mean, he's obviously having an identity crisis if he believes he is more...

Originally Posted by Char Baby
Marco620 said:
I follow the MM on my Honda.

What % do you take your OCIs down to before changing?

Depends. 15 percent,but I have hit 5 and 0 . Its flashes NOW!!! I think I had Redline/Archoil in that time and still had 4.7 TBN.

Originally Posted by TrainingPolicy
Recently, I keep reading more and more threads and people are saying that "since the car takes 8 quarts of oil, I run it longer" or how ever many quarts it takes, if it takes more than 5 quarts. Yet, I never hear people saying that if a car takes less than 5 quarts they run it shorter. For example a 2005 corolla take 4 quarts of oil, and I know plenty other cars are similar as well, yet the OCI is never decreased simply due to the oil capacity. Is this idea based in any science or is it simply, ‘it has more so I can use it longer' mentality? TIA!

Mitsubishi upped the service interval from 15000 km to 20000 km a few years ago, for the cars that had a 7l sump mvs the older 5.5l sump.... so they seem to think it matters.

Originally Posted by Jetronic

Mitsubishi upped the service interval from 15000 km to 20000 km a few years ago, for the cars that had a 7l sump mvs the older 5.5l sump.... so they seem to think it matters.

That depends on what specific attributes they were considering and in what scenarios.

All things being equal- then in general terms, more capacity should equal longer lifecycle for a lubricant.

Problem is that all things are not always equal (especially the way people drive, haul and maintain a vehicle) so in that scenario blanket claims are ill advised.

Your best avenue is condition changed maintenance based on proper sampling.

Its the usual time or mileage scheme they use. Whichever comes first.

The engine management keeps tabs on fuel dilution and this could trigger a MIL and early oil change, after 1.5 litre of diesel made it to the oil...

Back