Is moly obsolete?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I spent the weekend in the pits with a friend who is a funny car driver. I watched as they changed out the bearings in the car he drives. I picked up the round tub of Red Line grease that they use to coat the new bearings in the Hemi engine. The lid stated that the grease had 3x the film strength of a Moly grease.

I think the technology is getting better and better and the need for high amounts of Moly or Moly at all is slowly fading away.

I'm not a chemist, but I have been noticing the reduction over time.

grin2.gif

I read once that the cost of moly had been going up, and as such oil manufacturers were moving away from it. I don't know if there is any truth to that, or if that would relate to the grease question in the first post

I know redline, who has always used high amounts of moly, removed moly from their "diesel" oil formulations. They said it was due to the need to meet CJ-4 specifications.

So is Moly eventually going to go the same way as ZDDP? Isn't the P limit for SM oils 800ppm?

Why would they need to limit Moly? Does it have some detremental effect on Catalytic converters or O2 sensors if burn't?

Or can it cause sludging or something in Diesel engines under certain conditions?

21.gif

This is the newer form of moly in engine oil: "Organomolybdenum complex of organic esters"

These are the older forms: "Molybdenum Trialkyldithiocarbamate" or "molybdenum dialkyldithiophosphate (MoDDP)"

The "thio" is sulfur. That or the phosphate might be the problem.

The organomolybdenum esters and MoTDC are from Schaeffer's MSDS's.

Doesn't excessive moly in the exhaust stream mess up oxygen sensors (similar process as phosphorous & catalytic converters)? Or is that erroneous info.

Originally Posted By: StevieC
Why would they need to limit Moly? Does it have some detremental effect on Catalytic converters or O2 sensors if burn't?

Or can it cause sludging or something in Diesel engines under certain conditions?

21.gif

I remember seeing something that said Cummins recommends to not use RP because of the moly in the oil.

Originally Posted By: vinu_neuro
Honda factory-fill is loaded with moly.

This thread got me thinking...maybe it is actually the assembly grease that Honda uses that is full of moly.

Originally Posted By: dishdude
Originally Posted By: vinu_neuro
Honda factory-fill is loaded with moly.

This thread got me thinking...maybe it is actually the assembly grease that Honda uses that is full of moly.

I just bought an Acura and was wondering about that too. I called HoMoCo customer service line and was transferred to a tech department employee and he said what you said above. It is funny because I talked to 11 or so mechanics, few that work for me and NONE of them knew anything about a special factory fill oil from honda. These are ASE certified techs too, not that it means anything FWIW.

They are certified grease monkeys that only know how to replace parts. I'm surprised they know how to get dressed in the morning.

This certification just allows the shop to charge more because they are supposed to be "the best" when they aren't!

Good mechanics that can actually troubleshoot and actually fix things are a dying breed. (so sad)
smirk2.gif

13.gif

Originally Posted By: wannafbody
I spent the weekend in the pits with a friend who is a funny car driver. I watched as they changed out the bearings in the car he drives. I picked up the round tub of Red Line grease that they use to coat the new bearings in the Hemi engine. The lid stated that the grease had 3x the film strength of a Moly grease.

I read one of those packages, and what I saw was that "Red moly has 3x the strength of Molybdenum Disulphide (Black moly)"

I think it is an organo-moly product.

Moly I read was closed to $40 gallon/barrel(not sure which.). But it has been steadily increasing. I think they stated it used to be close to 10-15 dollars prior so you can see why they are moving away from it.

Is because of cost that Moly is being phased out or is it corrosive to copper parts, and does it pit bearings. I've read that, or is another Internet Myth? MOS2 in particular? Myth Busters where are you?

AD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back