Is moly obsolete?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Moly can be used at levels up to 1,000 ppm, safely. It's a very good multi-functional additive.

I have no idea if it's being used less now. I read before that moly will be used even more than it is now for GF-5, but that was from R.T Vanderbilt's site, which makes moly additives.

With there being many ways to make a good oil, it likely depends on the supplier and blender choice.

Quote:
It's well known in the industry that many sulfur containing compounds (not just MoDTC) can cause issues with "yellow metal" corrosion. MoDTC or similar compunds have been shown to cause this issue in poorly formulated lubricants, but it is fairly easy to "fix" the formulation with well known additives so the corrosion is not a problem even up to high treat rates of MoDTC (well over 1000ppm of Moly).

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...238#Post1336238

Originally Posted By: wannafbody
I spent the weekend in the pits with a friend who is a funny car driver. I watched as they changed out the bearings in the car he drives. I picked up the round tub of Red Line grease that they use to coat the new bearings in the Hemi engine. The lid stated that the grease had 3x the film strength of a Moly grease.

Run that question past the Honda powerplant engineers and see what answer you get. Yeah, I know, good luck, but still. . . Point is, Honda is still telling buyers to leave the FF oil in place because is ends up loaded with moly from the assembly lube they use.

There may be competing AW/EP chemicals out there, but no, I doubt that moly is actually "obsolete".

I'm wondering if Molybdenum Disulfide in small amounts is corrosive to bearings? Seems no one has a definative answer. Rosemill industries tech guy actually adds it to his engine oil, so he says, and they sell it to oil companies for blending in different lubes including oils. He did state that Red Line and Mobil had different views on moly, but didn't elaborate.

AD

Thanks. I read it earlier, seems Schaeffers and Red Line seem to think otherwise? Then the more you search the web the more confusing it becomes.
21.gif

AD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back