Is Mobil saying that Oil Filters last > Oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Oils/Mobil_1_Extended_Performance_FAQs.aspx#FAQs7

If I go longer between oil change intervals, do I need to change my oil filter more frequently? Or do I need a special filter?

Continue to change your oil filter when you change your engine oil. Special filters or more frequent oil filter changes are not required;, however, some low quality filters may not be capable of protecting your engine throughout an extended oil change interval.

=================================================================

It seems that Mobil believes that good name-brand oil filters can go to 15,000 miles. Since most of us have OCI's around 5-7K, this at least suggest that we can leave the filter there for another oil change.

It's not that I recommend anyone to do this, after all, oil filter are cheap and if you're under the car, why not change the filter too?

But, I can think of a particular scenario where leaving the filter might make sense: If it's winter, and if you have to get UNDER the car to remove the filter, then you can do an oil change using an oil extractor while leaving the old oil filter.

What do you think?

I remember my '94 Grand Prix's owners manual stated to only change the oil every 7500 miles and the filter every other oil change. I never did that however. Back then I changed everything every 3k miles. I have left Amsoil filters on 10k miles while doing 5k mile oci's. Lately I've been using Wix or M1 and changing them with the oil.

I have thought about leaving the oil filter for another OCI. But it only takes another 5 minutes and on my vehicles is easier to change than pulling the drain plug.

I use Motorcraft or Napa Gold's so at most it would save me around $4-$7 a oil change. I guess that is a significant amount of money when the whole OCI costs around $30. Although $30 per every 5000 miles is pennies per mile... $30/5000 = .006 cents per mile.

If your OCI went from $30 minus a $7 filter that lowers it to
30-7= 23/5000 = .0046 cents per mile.

And considering I don't buy oil that is $23 a 5 quart jug...an OCI every $5000 is crazy cheap.

When I work through it I'd prefer not to be considered THAT cheap.

RP filters are what I would call "quality filters", and they are recommended for up to 12K. I am an unapologetic 3K oil changer and I will probably keep my RP filter on for 2 OCIs. Maybe 3 but probably just 2.

Quote:
What is the recommended change interval?

Vehicles under warranty should follow the vehicle manufacturer's recommended change intervals. Vehicles no longer under warranty and in good condition may extend filter changes to 12,000 miles if they are driven under normal operating conditions and are using Royal Purple motor oil or other major brand of synthetic motor oil. Vehicles driven in severe conditions should follow the change intervals recommended in their owner's manual; severe conditions are defined as racing or commercial applications, frequent towing or hauling, extremely dusty or dirty conditions, or excessive idling.

Oil filters like M1EP and (especially) RP are expen$ive and sometimes a pain to get my hands on, so if I can use them longer, all to the good. Using them for 2 or more OCIs alleviates the price penalty.

The main thing I dislike about not changing an oil filter is the old oil left inside it (which for my tiny filter isn't much, but still...). This is the only drawback I can think of. But even that I can get around by letting the oil drain for several hours.

Originally Posted By: mareakin

But, I can think of a particular scenario where leaving the filter might make sense: If it's winter, and if you have to get UNDER the car to remove the filter, then you can do an oil change using an oil extractor while leaving the old oil filter.

What do you think?

I do this all the time for my LS400 with dino oil, changed filter once a year on 2nd oil change. With syn I changed oil and filter once a year.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SuperDave456
I have thought about leaving the oil filter for another OCI. But it only takes another 5 minutes and on my vehicles is easier to change than pulling the drain plug.

I use Motorcraft or Napa Gold's so at most it would save me around $4-$7 a oil change. I guess that is a significant amount of money when the whole OCI costs around $30. Although $30 per every 5000 miles is pennies per mile... $30/5000 = .006 cents per mile.

If your OCI went from $30 minus a $7 filter that lowers it to
30-7= 23/5000 = .0046 cents per mile.

And considering I don't buy oil that is $23 a 5 quart jug...an OCI every $5000 is crazy cheap.

When I work through it I'd prefer not to be considered THAT cheap.

Your math is wrong. You're off by two decimal points. FYI.

I've used plenty of filters for 15k and 2 yrs without issue.

Our old integra actually stated to change the oil at 7500 and the filter every other time... Right on the airbox sticker.

Of course it is fine to keep an oil filter on a well serviced engine for 2 5-6k OCI's. It is hard to make a blanket statement but if you are using a mid to top tier filter (mid=PureOne, WIX (Napa Gold/Carquest Blue), Bosch to name a few. Top Tier K&N/Mobil 1 EP, Fram Xtended Guard, Bosch D+, RP and NAPA Platinum you can go a good distance. I change my oil too often but I leave the filters on all the time for 8-10k, heck most get more efficient as they catch more contaminates like air filters do. The problem is knowing when restriction is becoming an issue. That should not affect many people either if their engine is clean and have a properly working air filter. So, Leave em on and get your money's worth. If it is a $3 filter change it at the OCI or 3-5k.

Changing the oil filter every other time was kinda standard years ago.
But even with today's longer lasting oils, we can still do this.
If you go 4-5k, then why not?

What do I think? I think I'll just pay the Honda dealer $17,to change the oil and filter,and not worry about it.

No, they are saying that those using "quality oil" or those who are following the manufactuer specified maintenance schedule need not change their oil filter "early" i.e.: mid OCI.....say, at 3k, if their vehicle calls for a 6-8k OCI....

They then go on to specifically state, CHANGE OUT the oil filter at the time that you change your oil.....

Originally Posted By: mareakin
Continue to change your oil filter when you change your engine oil. Special filters or more frequent oil filter changes are not required;, however, some low quality filters may not be capable of protecting your engine throughout an extended oil change interval.

wow, I just read it again.....yea, it is a mouthful. Depending on how you read it (where you pause and think, basically)......at the end they are basically saying if you are using Mobil 1 oil, with a [censored] err, low quality oil filter, you should change the oil filter (and don't forget to top off the Oil, as the oil that was previously in that filter, is no longer in the engine, so the next time you start the vehicle, and then shut it down, your oil level will be down since the oil has been pushed back into the filter
smile.gif

Or, if you want, just "pre lube" the oil filter when you install it, if possible....on my car, it's mounted like this this

|DDDDDD) (p.s. clip art copyright/trademarked (C) 2011 tommygun, inc. - all rights reserved LOL)

lol.

So I can top off the XG3614 about half way, and "angle it in there" so none spills out... hehe

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JHZR2

Our old integra actually stated to change the oil at 7500 and the filter every other time... Right on the airbox sticker.

That's when filters were made in the USA

Originally Posted By: steve20

That's when filters were made in the USA

I only use first world (US/Europe/Japan) made products, and boycott the rest.

I only use first world (US/Europe/Japan) made products, and boycott the rest.

So, you won't use a Canadian filter? Oh, right, they only make Frams up here. :p

Most can easily last 15K...try cutting one open after 8K and they have very little debris in them and the filter element is fine. I would have no problem with a wix, pureone, m1, mann or mahle filter in this capacity.

Originally Posted By: WishIhadatruck
I remember my '94 Grand Prix's owners manual stated to only change the oil every 7500 miles and the filter every other oil change. I never did that however. Back then I changed everything every 3k miles. I have left Amsoil filters on 10k miles while doing 5k mile oci's. Lately I've been using Wix or M1 and changing them with the oil.

Amazing! The owners manual for my 1978 Granada says the same thing. I'd never do it though.

I use the same oil and same oil filter for 25,000 miles. Amsoil AME 15w-40 and Donaldson ELF7349. It has been working great for me for over 100,000 miles now.

Im guilty of changing mobil1 oil filters every 4k back in the day not too far, when walmart would carry mobil1 oil filters for about $8

I only realize its a waste when i switch to wix/napa gold!

can i get my monies back? LOL

going to definitely use the napa platinums i got for atleast 2 OCI!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back