Is Mobil pricing themselves out of the market?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It appears many have experienced the recent M1 price hike, and are not happy, myself included.

Yesterday, I bought 7 quarts of Pennzoil Platinum instead of M1EP. I can't justify spending over $6 for a quart of oil when it has been proven to be no better than most other synthetics.

So, with the vanilla M1 close to $6 a quart, and the EP breaking through the ceiling, are any longtime Mobil 1 users going to look for alternatives?

P.S. Has anyone checked the prices on Mobil clean 5000, and 7500? Those seem very high to me for what appears to be mediocre oil.

Amsoil for me if it becomes an issue...

Ill try to find a way to get schaeffers 7000 for the diesel too.

group by anyone in the NJ/PA area???

JMH

I have all but sworn off M1. Going with Pennzoil Platinum myself as soon as I use up the M1 stash (just used 5 qts, have 6 on hold). I have seen regular M1 go from around $4.50/qt reg price at Wal-mart a little over a year ago (I'm sure pre-Katrina) to almost $6/qt, maybe a little over, for it now. Pennzoil Platinum remains $3.97/qt.

Per the Wally-World thread, Havoline 5W20 SM for me. I'm fed up with it. The stuff has gone up (based on sale prices, it ALWAYS used to be on sale somewhere) 30% in a short period of time, I'm tired of rewarding them for it. I'm told the Havoline will serve me as well, or nearly so, with 5-7K OCI. Amsoil filters.

Scroom all!

I just tried out Pennzoil Platinum in my car after a lifetime of M1, and I'll probably get an UOA, and if everything works out fine, I'll probably just stick with that from now on.

$5 cheaper per oil change will definitely add up over time!

I saw prices just over $6 for M1 EP at Wally World last night. Isn't it a little sick when you walk through the automotive department at Wally World, just to look at the engine oil? It makes GC at 32/6 pack look like a pretty good price, from AutoZone.

I too bought 12 qts PP instead of my usual stash of M1 5w30 for my 6 month rotations because of the price hikes. Of course, I wonder how much Wally World has to do with this...

I think that toocrazy2yoo nailed it. "30% in a short period of time, I'm tired of rewarding them for it."

However; dang, why is there always the dreaded however, many folks with less knowledge and fat wallets won't care. Do you think perhaps that the marque recognition/rep will carry the marketing/price change day and sales won't be affected by our threatened changes?

Actually, I have had better results with GC and changed a while back, so I'm not a player in this. If I were still using M-1 I would be going elsewhere for sure. I had good results with $.49/qt. Chevron on shorter OCI's. I would consider that or Havoline and for 4k OCI's and every second OCI filter changes. Er, with UOA's of course until I had the trend established.

I'm not as concerned with the costs as I am with making sure the engine is protected, but I revert to my prior agreement with toocrazy2yoo. John

quote:

Originally posted by John Hilmer:
many folks with less knowledge and fat wallets won't care. Do you think perhaps that the marque recognition/rep will carry the marketing/price change day and sales won't be affected by our threatened changes?

Mobil is cashing in on the brand loyalty.
Where is the outcry from the Syntec bashing camp?
Hipocrats.

Yes, I think they are. I think Mobil has made a mess out of their line up. Too many oils and too expensive. They should have never made a M1 SM GF-4 and M1 EP GF-4 (IMO). Should have just kept 1 Mobil 1. I also think PP and a few others are clearly better for the $$. They are cluttering up the oil section with just to many average oils. Went to AutoZone today and noticed M1 EP was $6.79 qt. Ridiculous. *vad, at those prices, Syntec looks more appealing then it ever has.

This is the exact reason I am going back to Valvoline MaxLife Synthetic. You can get a 5 qt. jug of it at Wal-Mart for $20 plus they currently have a $17.50 mail-in rebate. $2.50 for 5 qts. of good synthetic oil is hard to beat!

Vad, Yep, you say it better than
cheers.gif
I.

Regarding the comment about brand loyalty, like anything else, products continously change and many times go through periods where they could be better than they are. (For example Amsoil S2k about 2 years ago. That oil would thicken a lot with very few miles on it. They have since improved it.) Mobil 1 has always been a great oil. Right now, they seem to be over pricing it for what you are getting.

quote:

Originally posted by John Hilmer:
I think that toocrazy2yoo nailed it. "30% in a short period of time, I'm tired of rewarding them for it."

However; dang, why is there always the dreaded however, many folks with less knowledge and fat wallets won't care. Do you think perhaps that the marque recognition/rep will carry the marketing/price change day and sales won't be affected by our threatened changes?

Actually, I have had better results with GC and changed a while back, so I'm not a player in this. If I were still using M-1 I would be going elsewhere for sure. I had good results with $.49/qt. Chevron on shorter OCI's. I would consider that or Havoline and for 4k OCI's and every second OCI filter changes. Er, with UOA's of course until I had the trend established.

I'm not as concerned with the costs as I am with making sure the engine is protected, but I revert to my prior agreement with toocrazy2yoo. John

Last I checked, they were trying to make havoline more upscale and they were riasing its price by 30c or so too...

30c on what was originally $1.50 oil is still a 20% increase... and thats havoline...

So if you want to play by percentages, how is it any different?

JMH

Concerning the percentage price increase of M1:

To me, it's not so much the percentage as it is the amount. 30% at $4.50 ($1.35) is more difficult to swallow than 20% at $1.50 ($0.30). $1.30 difference is almost another quart of Havoline or almost a 1/2 gallon of gas!!
grin.gif

this is true, but if youre extending OCIs, the difference is nearly irreevant, and if youre not... than there needs to be an awful good reason to use an oil like M1 in the first place, IMO!

JMH

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back