is mobil one a true synthetic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mobil 1 synthetics have between 30-70% Group IV PAO (depending on which version and grade you are talking about), plus M1 oils may also have an unknown quantity of Group V Esters. We are reasonably certain of this because the Korean MSDS requires disclosure of both PAO and mineral oil (regular and hydrocracked), but does not require disclosure of Ester.

Not exactly sure about M1 10w-40 high mileage, because I don't believe that the HM oils are marketed in Korea (have not seen it in the M1 MSDS list for Korea).

Mark,

have you been able to figure out whether PAO 6 and higher have to be disclosed as well? All the safety data sheets I have been trough will only list "1-DECENE, TETRAMER AND TRIMER HYDROGENATED", which we found to be PAO 4. It's hard to believe that Mobil does not use PAO 6 or 8 in any product sold in Korea.

Also, we cannot be sure that they use the same formula world wide. At least some OEMs approve different formulas sold under the same product name, provided that any of these formulas meet the OEM test requirements.

If the data sheets are correct, it seems to me the Mobil 1 HM oils might have more PAO then regular Mobil 1, as the HM variants have outstanding pour points.

Originally Posted By: Extreme-Duty
Mark,

have you been able to figure out whether PAO 6 and higher have to be disclosed as well? All the safety data sheets I have been trough will only list "1-DECENE, TETRAMER AND TRIMER HYDROGENATED", which we found to be PAO 4. It's hard to believe that Mobil does not use PAO 6 or 8 in any product sold in Korea.

Also, we cannot be sure that they use the same formula world wide. At least some OEMs approve different formulas sold under the same product name, provided that any of these formulas meet the OEM test requirements.

I don't have any information about PAO 6 or 8 since it was not listed in the Korean MSDS (or any other Mobil 1 MSDS I have seen). I could be one of the "Trade Secret" ingredients listed in the MSDS, I don't know. Are PAO 6 and 8 usually included in low quantities?

Several people have called Mobil and asked them if their oils are the same world-wide (if the name of the product is the same) and they have always replied in the affirmative. I don't know what purpose there would be in having different formulas for different countries as it would be very costly to do that, especially since most autos are sold worldwide. Note however, that there are some products like M1 5W-30 ESP sold in Europe that is obviously different than M1 5W-30 sold in the US, but it does have a different name (ESP - which is a special formula for reduced emissions).

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
If the data sheets are correct, it seems to me the Mobil 1 HM oils might have more PAO then regular Mobil 1, as the HM variants have outstanding pour points.

I was just about to say...
cheers3.gif

Originally Posted By: daman

cheers3.gif

We agreed!
shocked2.gif

cheers3.gif

We agreed!
shocked2.gif

yes we did.
LOL.gif

I'd love to sit down with a 12 pack and go over filters,i have some FRAMS i'd love to show you.
crazy2.gif

Yes it is and uses some very highly regarded group V base oils - Alkylated Naphthalenes have excellent solvency and can hold sludge in suspension extremely well.

and go over filters,i have some FRAMS i'd love to show you.
crazy2.gif

I love beer and I hate Fram oil filters. It's a small world after all!
11.gif

Everyone can agree to dump on Fram oil filters; except maybe for the Critic.

and go over filters,i have some FRAMS i'd love to show you.
crazy2.gif

I love beer and I hate Fram oil filters. It's a small world after all!
11.gif

Everyone can agree to dump on Fram oil filters; except maybe for the Critic.

we'll give a beer too to lighten him up.
LOL.gif

In today's world, I think we need think in terms like "virtual full synthetic".

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan

In today's world, I think we need think in terms like "virtual full synthetic".
I see this turning into a bashing thread very shortly...
27.gif

Originally Posted By: buster
yeah really. lol

All the essential elements are in place, all we need is the catalyst.
27.gif

I sleep good every time i pour this inferior oil in my cars.
15.gif

crackmeup2.gif

I have no problem using this synthetic labeled dino in my engine even though I know that it's excessively wearing my cylinder walls and washing all the iron into my UOA's
LOL.gif

Originally Posted By: StevieC
I sleep good every time i pour this inferior oil in my cars.
15.gif

crackmeup2.gif

I have no problem using this synthetic labeled dino in my engine even though I know that it's excessively wearing my cylinder walls and washing all the iron into my UOA's
LOL.gif

BOOM....That might have been the catalyst. But this time it's all in good fun! I hope!
27.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back