Is Mobil getting out of the filter business?...

I had asked earlier on this Forum about Mobil discontinuing oil filters for my 2016 CTS V-Sport and have now noticed that despite showing the number for a couple other vehicles (all GM) that Mobil says there are no retailers for these filters...I've noticed too that Walmart has restocked their Mobil 1 oil filters but those filters for three GM vehicles I take care of, the shelves have been empty where those filters would be stocked...this has been for almost 2 months now...

I don't have any issue with using the UPF marked AC Delco (racing or Delco Gold) filters but also noticed they don't have the orange/red silicone ADB as before and they are now black...so they no longer appear to be the same as the Mobil 1 oil filters they used to resemble...

I haven't seen or read anything about this change...anyone have any information not this?

Bill

Last edited:
I'm nit sure about GM but the M1-104 I use was missing from inventory for about two months. This weekend WMart restocked and the shelf was full of them as of Sunday.

Maybe this will happen in your particular situation also.

sure...and I understand shortages but what I'm talking about is the Mobil Oil website has them as no retailers carry it or the filter no longer exists...if Mobil still made them they might just be behind on their deliveries but why would they list them as no longer available or no retailers carry them?

Bill

I don't have any issue with using the UPF marked AC Delco (racing or Delco Gold) filters but also noticed they don't have the orange/red silicone ADB as before and they are now black...so they no longer appear to be the same as the Mobil 1 oil filters they used to resemble...
Mobil 1 filterrs are no longer made by Champion, they're made by Mann-Hummel at Purolator's facilities.

Soon it’ll be just First brands and Mann-Hummel…may already be that way now that I think of it 🤔
There's a few out there, but of those with a strong retail presence it's almost all Mann-Hummel and First Brands. For OEM and bulk there's still Baldwin(Parker-Hanafin), Donaldson, Mahle, Hengst, Denso, some others, some random facctories in China.

so nobody knows why Mobil's website seems to be dropping some of its popular (for GM cars at least) filters...I do appreciate the pontificating however ;)

Bill

interestingly to me that Pure One PL11403 (at least in pictures) appears to have the same oval openings and "22" stamped in the metal end cap but for the color of the gasket and ADBV (which might mean they are silicone - Purolator states the ADBV IS silicone) as the AC Delco UPF-63R...

if I get an answer from Mobil about the filter they used to recommend but no longer do, I'll post it...

Thanks,

Bill

Last edited:
interestingly to me that Pure One PL11403 (at least in pictures) appears to have the same oval openings and "22" stamped in the metal end cap but for the color of the gasket and ADBV (which might mean they are silicone - Purolator states the ADBV IS silicone) as the AC Delco UPF-63R...

if I get an answer from Mobil about the filter they used to recommend but no longer do, I'll post it...

Thanks,

Bill
The “22” on the faceplate indicates the thread size, and the oval holes are a Purolator feature, The Pure One media has apparently improved, tighter pleat spacing, less tendency to tear, and better than average efficiency rating (higher than any other common Purolator filter). Since Purolator makes the M1 now, it stands to reason that the synthetic blend media is going to be comparable. I use the UPF on the Express 6.0 LS in my sig, but if they lose the silicone ADBV, they‘re out.

thanks bullwinkle...that Pure One PL11403 shows up on Purolator's website as for the 2.0 Turbo and not my 3.6 Twin Turbo...the appropriate Purolator One for mine would be PL21495...

do your UPF filters for your Express 6.0 LS still have the orange ADBV or are they black...the UPF-63R filter I picked up from RockAuto.com this month in the older style AC Delco box but the filter was made this year no longer has the orange (silicone) ADBV or gasket seal and shows black but I do not know if this means it has changed to Nitrile although I suspect it does...

thanks

Bill

received a response from Mobil about their branded Mobil 1 oil filters...thanked me for my inquiry and wrote they would forward my question to the actual manufacturer: Mann-Hummel...if I get an answer from them, I'll include it here...

Bill

thanks bullwinkle...that Pure One PL11403 shows up on Purolator's website as for the 2.0 Turbo and not my 3.6 Twin Turbo...the appropriate Purolator One for mine would be PL21495...

do your UPF filters for your Express 6.0 LS still have the orange ADBV or are they black...the UPF-63R filter I picked up from RockAuto.com this month in the older style AC Delco box but the filter was made this year no longer has the orange (silicone) ADBV or gasket seal and shows black but I do not know if this means it has changed to Nitrile although I suspect it does...

thanks

Bill
The one that's on now, & the one I have left are both orange, from Auto Zone, but I bought them last year. I've since discovered that most LS engines with any real mileage on them have crappy oil pressure, so I have others around to use (OG Ultra & Baldwins).

thanks

Bill
Wow, 36 PSI bypass? I thought only Subaru had bypass pressures that high! I DEFINITELY would only use quality filters with that engine, I would be concerned a jobber special might not be able to handle that.

I plan to use the dealer recommended AC Delco UPF-63R...I wouldn't use a jobber filter on any of my cars just because I might never know the quality of the product and OEM or recommended isn't priced much higher...

did you find that 36 PSI bypass anywhere besides Purolator?

Bill

been a week since Mobil contacted Mann+Hummel for their response to my query...perhaps I'll still get an answer but it is the Holidays...Mobil also wrote that I could respond to their email response to me for further information but the email kicked back as undeliverable...

Bill

Back