is Mobil 1™ Synthetic LV ATF HP compatible with dexron VI ATF?

rav

Guys, I currently have a '17 Silverado with the 6L80 6 speed transmission. I'd like to do a "Drain & Fill" & was wondering if I can use the is Mobil 1™ Synthetic LV ATF HP Fluid instead of the Dexron VI. Will this fluid mix OK & not Cause any issues? Truck has about 39k on it now & I would do a 2nd D&F some miles soon afterwards to get more old out & new in. Can anyone advise if these two fluids are compatible?

Would you see any problems, immediate or long term? probably not. Would I use maxlife or valvoline dex VI for like 5 bucks a quart? Yes. Never hurts to keep a warrantee and dex vi is everywhere.

Mobil 1 LV ATF HP is compatible with Dexon HP, not Dexron VI.

Dexron VI and Dexron HP (including Mobil 1 LV ATF HP) meet different GMW specs, meaning they're tangibly different and not interchangeable
  • Dexron VI = 6-speed FWD and 6-speed RWD transmission, as well as supersession for Dexron III
  • Dexron HP = 8-speed RWD and 9-speed FWD transmission
    • Mobil 1 LV ATF HP = Special version of Dexron HP that solves issues with 8-speed RWD transmission
  • Dexron ULV = 10-speed RWD transmission

Mobil 1 LV ATF HP is compatible with Dexon HP, not Dexron VI.

Dexron VI and Dexron HP (including Mobil 1 LV ATF HP) meet different GMW specs, meaning they're tangibly different and not interchangeable
  • Dexron VI = 6-speed FWD and 6-speed RWD transmission, as well as supersession for Dexron III
  • Dexron HP = 8-speed RWD and 9-speed FWD transmission
    • Mobil 1 LV ATF HP = Special version of Dexron HP that solves issues with 8-speed RWD transmission
  • Dexron ULV = 10-speed RWD transmission
@MrHorspower....Interesting......Since I posted this, I have been researching the internet, I found some where on the Mobil 1 web page that the LV ATF HP was backward compatible to Dexron VI. Did I miss something along the way?

The older black bottle used to say it was backwards compatible but the newer blue label version no longer makes that claim. No one knows for sure why the backwards compatibility was dropped.
Mobil_1_LV_ATF_HP_Back.jpg

Just use Dex VI. It's a good fluid, what your truck requires, competitively priced, and is accessible.
Thanks for the reply rob1715......AND I do use VI....but that doesn't answer my original question. The GM 8L90 also use to specify Dexron VI BUT ended up having a shutter issue & the HD M1 appeared to correct the shutter issue! How come? There's a lot of 6L80's (6speeds) that have had tranny failures & I'm wondering if the NEWER M1 HD ATF will help that issue. That's why I', asking if it's backwards compatible.

Guys, I currently have a '17 Silverado with the 6L80 6 speed transmission. I'd like to do a "Drain & Fill" & was wondering if I can use the is Mobil 1™ Synthetic LV ATF HP Fluid instead of the Dexron VI. Will this fluid mix OK & not Cause any issues? Truck has about 39k on it now & I would do a 2nd D&F some miles soon afterwards to get more old out & new in. Can anyone advise if these two fluids are compatible?
Not to knock any other posters but I would and have PM'd member Clinebarger, the man is a GM transmission guru and has probably done more of these than most of us here put together will see in a lifetime. He will undoubtedly know what is the best fluid and why.
Bitog has a lot of experts on different things, just ask them.

The GM 8L90 also use to specify Dexron VI BUT ended up having a shutter issue & the HD M1 appeared to correct the shutter issue!
8Lxx never spec'd Dex VI. It has always used Dexron HP. The release of the fluid coincided with the new transmission series.

First vehicles to have an 8Lxx were Corvette and full size truck and SUV in 2015.

There was even a post here on BITOG from 2013 when the GMW16974 spec was first published:

One of the comments from that thread, dated 2015, notes:
I saw an owners manual lists Dexron HP as the fluid for the new Silverado 8speed transmission.

8Lxx never spec'd Dex VI. It has always used Dexron HP. The release of the fluid coincided with the new transmission series.

First vehicles to have an 8Lxx were Corvette and full size truck and SUV in 2015.

There was even a post here on BITOG from 2013 when the GMW16974 spec was first published:

One of the comments from that thread, dated 2015, notes:
@ MrHorspwer....My bad! Thanks for the correction. I assumed, that the 8Lxx was spec with VI & since it was causing the "shutter", that's why GM changed the spec to the Dexron HP. I wasn't aware that they was an AC Delco Dexron HP fluid.

If you had tons of M1 LV HP fluid and nothing to use it in other than a low mileage reman 4L60E and an unknown mileage 4L65E in 06 and 05 vehicles would you use it? Originally Dex3 then specified DexVI later on.

I could be wrong but it seems like just a higher quality slightly lower viscosity fluid that is very close to dexron 6.

Not to knock any other posters but I would and have PM'd member Clinebarger, the man is a GM transmission guru and has probably done more of these than most of us here put together will see in a lifetime. He will undoubtedly know what is the best fluid and why.
Bitog has a lot of experts on different things, just ask them.

Dexron VI is the best fluid for the 6L80E unit, But NO fluid will save the Torque Converter Clutch from wearing out, I highly recommend having it tuned to eliminate the "Constant TCC Slip", While it's only a 10-20 rpm slip differential.....It creates a ton of heat at the Converter Clutch Lining, This breaks down the fluid as well.

Sure.....Changing the fluid often might prolong the inevitable, But will not stop it.

I've also tuned 8L90E units in a similar manner, It eliminates TCC "Bobble" even with Dexron VI. Leads me to believe that Dexron HP is a mere band-aid too get the unit through warranty, Unfortunately 8L90E Controllers have to be sent off to be Unlocked manually....Runs around a Grand to even access the controller(TCM) for tuning.

If you want to purchase HP-Tuners.....I can walk you through modifying the calibration. It will take @$500 to buy the Dongle & License a '17 5.3L/6L80E Silverado & you will need a Windows 10 Laptop.

Dexron VI is the best fluid for the 6L80E unit, But NO fluid will save the Torque Converter Clutch from wearing out, I highly recommend having it tuned to eliminate the "Constant TCC Slip", While it's only a 10-20 rpm slip differential.....It creates a ton of heat at the Converter Clutch Lining, This breaks down the fluid as well.

Sure.....Changing the fluid often might prolong the inevitable, But will not stop it.

I've also tuned 8L90E units in a similar manner, It eliminates TCC "Bobble" even with Dexron VI. Leads me to believe that Dexron HP is a mere band-aid too get the unit through warranty, Unfortunately 8L90E Controllers have to be sent off to be Unlocked manually....Runs around a Grand to even access the controller(TCM) for tuning.

If you want to purchase HP-Tuners.....I can walk you through modifying the calibration. It will take @$500 to buy the Dongle & License a '17 5.3L/6L80E Silverado & you will need a Windows 10 Laptop.
I have a 2013 Tahoe with the 6L80E and I also have HP Tuners. Could you tell me how to change the settings for the TCC?

As an owner of a 2018 Silverado w/the six speed there isn't any reasons not to use Dex6. Using anything else isn't going to make the shifts any crisper or the flares go away.

Yea-I know...it's irritating.

Here you go......You must disable the AFM. Slipping the TCC is how the uneven 4 cylinder firing pulses aren't transmitted through the drivetrain & chassis.

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/threads/6l80e-fresh-rebuild-and-already-failed.342354/post-5806912

I ran through the linked instructions with both trucks in my sig and it seems to work well. Thanks clinebarger!

My stock ramp table was a bit different so I just applied 150%+10psi to all columns 2-250 rpm.

stock

before.jpg

tuned

after.jpg

Back