Is Mobil 1 really to thin?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was looking at Redline's specs and there 5w-30 is a 10.6cSt and 11 for the 10w-30. How much better protection do you think 1cSt will give you? I still think it's the balance of additives that make an oil good. Redline has tons of Moly so under extreme situations I'm sure it does very well.

Redline is great stuff, but I'm not sure all that moly is worth the extra dough. Out here I see Redline for $8 to $10 per quart
thumbsdown.gif

Thin oils work well for many, many cars but I think thicker oil is better for extreme conditions like turbocharging or racing.

I'm reaching the conclusion that it's not simply the additives, it's not simply the viscosity, and it's not simply the makeup of the base oils--you gotta look at the whole picture.

I do not think Mobil 1 is too thin, it still falls under the SAE 30 weight viscosity range, just on the lower side a bit.

Redline excells in the fact that the base oil has more polyol esters which have a wider viscosity index, and its shear strength at high temperatures is among the best. In addition, polyol esters have better wetting capabilities than do mineral oils and PAO's. It is its own surfactant.

While moly is a good Friction modifier and antioxidant, it's not the whole story.

Ask yourself that on a -20°F morning...

No it's not too thin.

Similar question: Does this make me look fat? (never under any circumstances answer such a question)
grin.gif

Got it.
cheers.gif
I didn't mean to imply that moly was the answer. You do have to look at the whole picture. What confuses me now is Amsoil's approach to using basic additive packages and relying more on the quality base oil. Doesn't that go against what everyone has been suggesting that it's more important to have a strong additive package then using a high quality base oil? Amsoil is among the best so whatever there approach is works, I'm just trying to understand the difference.....if there is one.
dunno.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Pablo:
Does this make me look fat?
grin.gif

Pablo,

I have never considered you fat...I just think the S2K 0W30 you use for styling gel flattens your hair and makes you look shorter.

[ August 26, 2003, 10:07 PM: Message edited by: pscholte ]

[/QUOTE]Pablo,

I have never considered you fat...I just think the S2K 0W30 you use for styling gel flattens your hair and makes you look shorter. [/QB][/QUOTE]

lol.gif
lol.gif

Man, that's too funny!!!! I's prefer the Redline, so it will give me the "wetter" look!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back