Is Mobil 1 listening to us?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patman

Staff member
Check out the VOA section, the latest version of Mobil 1 SuperSyn 5w30 showed a viscosity of 62.9SUS, which is almost 11cst at 100C!

It will be interesting to see the UOAs on this latest version of Mobil 1! You gotta hand it to Mobil 1, they don't sit still for long, they are always tweaking their formula.

Ya gotta wonder if they really do listen to what we talk about on here!
smile.gif

It does make me wonder. I wouldn't be surprised. Like I said in the VOA thread, it makes there 20wt stand out more from the 30wt pack now. They were so close at one time. I also think the A3 rating will come into play at some point with more European cars coming to the US anc calling for A3 rated oils although the 0w-40 is for that. Maybe its bc HP has gone up in so many cars over the years...
dunno.gif

I'd have to give the "Oil of the year" award to M1 as the SS is much improved and they have tweaked it for the better over the last few months.

[ October 23, 2003, 08:52 PM: Message edited by: buster ]

Doubtful, since they have their own engineers and chemists to test the product and gradually tweak it. They have to continually reformulate due to changes in the engines, regulations, industry and competition.

Daily Drives
-2003 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner XtraCab, Impulse Red, Peppy 2.7 Liter 4 Banger, Running Mobil1 Synthetics SS 5W-30.
ODO 5400 Miles.
-1995 Toyota 4-Runner, Evergreen, 3.0 V6, Running Mobil1 Synthetic SS 10W-30.
ODO 82500 Miles.

I think they are watching this site closely. Sure they have their own engineers but this site has made alot of recomendations that have been acted upon by mobil-1. Firtst you have the over base calcium discussions a year or two ago, then you have the moly discussion, now they are makeing it thicker!Now if they would just add some antimony(sp)!!!

[ October 23, 2003, 09:19 PM: Message edited by: JohnBrowning ]

I do not recall any VAOs showing a higher viscosity, just UOAs showing this. The M1 website details the 30 weight 100 degree viscoisty at 10 (which could be just a rounding of the prvious 9.8 as they do not now use a decial point after the number). Is it possible that the oil is just thickening after use similar to what we see with the 0w-40 where it thins then thickens?

I think it would be great to see a 'thicker' 30 multiweights from M1 but I have my doubts given the above. Your thoughts?

quote:

Originally posted by nick778:
I do not recall any VAOs showing a higher viscosity, just UOAs showing this.

That's why I posted this thread, if you see the latest VOA in the VOA section here, it does show the higher viscosity now.

The tricky part for those who want to use it though, is how do you figure out if you've got a new 11cst batch or an old 10cst one?

And is it possible this one was a fluke? Might be a good idea for someone else to send in a VOA too, a second opinion so to speak.

[ October 24, 2003, 05:00 AM: Message edited by: Patman ]

Then I'm disappointed....thinner is better...what *** are they doing???
pat.gif

I think industry execs from all the major players should be monitoring this site ... just to see the reactions and opinions from gatekeeper consumers such as ourselves.

Sure, we are waaaayyy outside the norm, but our opnions will eventually filter down to the common gearhead consumers so those opinions we have count ... eventually.

If I was a Mobil exec, for example, I would have been VERY concerned about the (erroneous) rumors that Mobil 1, when it went to the "SuperSyn" formula, went to a Group III base oil. The opinions I would have seen on various car forums would have had a significant impact on any press releases address formulation concerns.

As for the thickening, it looks like the last few Mobil 1 samples we've seen are different ... but why? Is this a formula change or a quality control problem? The UOAs seem to be a little worse than the previous versions of Mobil 1 SS ... which seems to have been the best version of the oil to date.
confused.gif

Quality control can't be ruled out. Look at the moly-less Mobil 1 SS.
rolleyes.gif

--- Bror Jace

Bror, i agree, you can't rule out QC.

Dr.T, for most of todays cars I believe a well made thin oil is better then thicker. But, as you fail to mention, chosing the right oil should be done by testing through UOA. Blanket statments that all thick oils are bettter don't have any validity IMO. With Moibl 1 making a 0w-20 that is almost a 30wt, I'd rather see them formulate the 30wts on the heavier side for higher HP performance cars such as the LS1 where thicker oils seem to do better. This is why I'm excited about this bc my next car/truck will not be a slouch. So we are not contradicting ourselves by being in favor of M1 increasing the viscosity a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back