Is Mobil 1 ATF okay in a Toyota transmission?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Probably can use it without any issue. I've run Valvoline Maxlife (low viscosity) in that same transmission and it worked just fine. I don't think this transmission is very picky about fluid.

Why not use Pennzoil Synthetic High Mileage ATF? It does list compatibility with Toyota T-IV and is cheaper than the M1 too.

They wouldn't specify it on the fluid I mentioned without specifying it on the mutli-vehicle formula if either could be used. That's what I'm getting at. If it isn't listed don't use it to be safe. It's not worth risking it.

Transmission fluids can be a lot more variable and less forgiving than motor oil. If it doesnt list the certificaton that matches your owner’s manual I would not use it.

The Mobil synthetic is a DexIII type fluid. T-IV is in fact based off of DexIII, but a different add. pack. Use the 3309, or another real TIV. I saw the Aisin brabded TIV at jet.com the other day for pretty cheap, like $4.40/qt.

I currently have 3309 in our Lexus and it does run smoother than in the past when I tried Maxlife or other “compatible” fluids, including full synthetics. From here out, it will be 3309 or Aisin TIV, or other TIV specific blends from reputable refiners like Ravenol or Idemitsu.

Last edited:
Funny Story, I think,
smirk.gif
, I'm the landlord of a auto parts store, One of my cars calls for T-IV fluid, I needed a qt. So I stop in and ask for a qt of Toyota T-IV fluid, Don't recall the brand, but it was a name brand. I read the label, it did not say T-IV fluid, and I told him I need T-IV fluid, So he picks up the bottle and reads it to me, yady yady yada "For All Automatic Transmissions" I said it don't say T-IV, so he tells me again "For All Automatic Transmissions" this went back and forth 1 more time, I said " BS, I'm going to to find some T-IV fluid somewhere, I'll be back the 1st of the month"...

Mobil 3309 / Toyota T-IV. The older vehicles are more forgiving on ATFs compared to the finicky new ones.!!
Sticking with either will be more suitable for a good night sleep

Originally Posted By: Gebo
Why not use the Toyota Type IV?

Yup, go to your local Toyota dealer and buy a few quarts.

They don't have any synthetic offerings at the dealer, I'd like to use a full synthetic ATF.
Originally Posted By: Leo99
Originally Posted By: Gebo
Why not use the Toyota Type IV?

Yup, go to your local Toyota dealer and buy a few quarts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back