Is Mobil 1 a real syn?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you note the article says "I am told." Who told him? What knowledge do they have? For that fact, the author seems to know very little substantive about synthetic oil.

That points to hearsay with no real knowledge to back it up. He may be an engine builder but I bet the most newbie member on this board knows more about oil than that tech guy.

Dan

I've seen this before on other forums. A lot of people seem to think M1 is a Group III. And then they spread their "wisdom" as though they had the oil analyzed themselves.

Cheers, 3MP

Synthetics don't really use the mineral carrier anymore, so I would say this guy is incorrect. Yes sulfur reduces friction and adds lubricity but AFAIK there are no group I oils anymore. Not even Schaeffer, which used to use it extensively. So there goes that idea. Also esters have FM properties and less friction than mineral oil, even Group I. And there are plenty of additives that can be used to improve it further.

Mobil extolls the virtues of PAOs on its website. The company is too big and has pockets too deep to play fast and loose with the truth publically. Funny thing is, ExxonMobil has both synthetic markets covered. They're vertically integrated to produce the raw PAOs that go in their own Mobil 1 oils, and also sell to other blenders, yet they're also a top player at the forefront of hydroisomerized Group-III base stock development and production. And, they'll sell upgrade equipment to other refiners to produce Group-III base stocks, or even complete turn-key refineries. The company's laughing all the way to the bank with a win-win situation.

quote:

Originally posted by JonS:
This guy in the link below says it is 87% synthetic as is Castrol syntec.

http://www.hotboat.com/members/articles/2002-07/012.pdf

"In my opinion, paraffin-base oils work the best in the engines I build."

rolleyes.gif

Typical of many enthusiasts magazines...they ask a question of an expert, but he's not an expert in the subject of the question. This guy is an engine builder, not a tribologist.

There are two types of petroleum base oils, napthenic and paraffinic. The higher the proportion of paraffinic oil in the final base oil, the better the oil will perform in an engine, other things being equal. Napthenic oils are best for certain industrial applications, but not engines. Crude oils are either paraffinc, or napthenic, or a combination of the two. The choice of crude determines the type of base oil. Napthenic crudes have a higher yield of fuel, so they're more valuable to integrated oil companies.

And, he obviously knows little about synthetic oils. In his engines, either a top quality paraffin based oil (or paraffinic--same thing) or a top quality synthetic, in the racing oil formulation in the viscosities he likes will work well; here's one: http://www.schaefferoil.com/data/110.html

Ken

[ August 19, 2003, 03:16 PM: Message edited by: Ken2 ]

quote:

Originally posted by Steve S:
No oil reguardless what basestock is 100% oil there are additives and the carrier oil.

Yes, but with the introduction of Mobil 1 TriSyn formula, Mobil stopped using mineral oil as the additive carrier. Hence, current formulations of Mobil 1 DO NOT have any mineral oil in them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back