Is Mobil 1 10w30 the best oil for my vehicles?

Status
Not open for further replies.
From reading other UOA and comments by this knowledgeable membership I "think" Mobil 1 10w30 is the best solution for my OC needs, check out my rationale and let me know if I'm all wet.

My vehicles
2004 Toyota 4runner with the 4.7 V8 - Currently 2000 miles. Changed oil at 1750 miles with dino Castrol GTX 5w30 and will go to Mobil 1 10w30 at 5000 miles. (Will then run a 5K mile OCI with Mobil 1 10w30).

2003 Nissan 350Z with the 3.5 V6 - Currently 6000 miles. Changed oil at 1200 miles and 4000 miles with dino Mobil drive clean 5w30 and will go to Mobil 1 10w30 at 7000 miles. (Will then run a 5-7K mile OCI using Mobil 1 10w30).

Reason for Mobil 1 10w30 is great results on other similar engines, and it is easy to find in local stores.

I feel I can use this oil year round in both vehicles, since Toyota and Nissan recommend 10w30 for temps down to "0" degrees. I live in SW Missouri and it seldom gets below "0" and if it does I would think that Mobil 1 10w30 would still lube just fine and not cause any damage to the engine. Both vehicles are kept in a heated garage.

What do you guys think? Any other easy to find oil that you think would be better?

quote:

Originally posted by Pitbull:

What do you guys think? Any other easy to find oil that you think would be better?

Only in cost vs performance for that Toyota 4.7 and that depends . If you were to have give single quart pricing of 4.77 for the Mobil SS like it is where I live I'd think the $ 2.08 Mobil 5w-30 Syn Blend might be a viable option for 5k mile drains in that one w/o any appreciable loss of protection if any .

One Ford motor here actually knocked out a bit better UOA with the Mobil PAO Blend vs the SS.

The Schaeffers guys I guess have left the forum
dunno.gif
however the performance of a nice , well formulated PAO Blend stays with us although lost or forgotten in the topics somehow .

I've talked the talk about the Mobil Blend for a long while now . Prior to this topic I picked some up " like I need more oil " to run in my Daughters 3.0 Ford so better to walk the walk that way .

We will see how it does against the 6 buck synlube that's a fixin to get drained at the end of the month....come early fall .
smile.gif

Pitbull, How pepy is that 4Runner with the 4.7? I would love to be able to afford one. I might need to look for nice used one!! I own a 1986 4Runner with the 22RE 4 cylinder. It is 4x4 of course and it has been in the family since new!!

quote:

Originally posted by JohnBrowning:
Pitbull, How pepy is that 4Runner with the 4.7? I would love to be able to afford one. I might need to look for nice used one!! I own a 1986 4Runner with the 22RE 4 cylinder. It is 4x4 of course and it has been in the family since new!!

Go to this site to learn about them www.toyota-4runner.org I was looking at a used 2000 Landcruiser when I learned about the 4th generation 4runner. 0-60 in 7.8 seconds and I average 18 mpg combination driving. It is built in Japan on the same assembly line as the Lexus GX470. It is the same vehicle with the same engine transmission, frame, AWD, traction control all the electronics, everything machanical. They just put on a different body for the Lexus. Personally I like the looks of the new 4runner better than the Lexus. I drove both and could not tell a difference. Kind of like the difference between a Landcruiser and a Lexus LX470. Mine listed for $36K and I bought it for $33K. Also like the fact that it was about the same size and weight as my 1995 FZJ80 Landcruiser, but with one of the best engines in the world. The Lexus cost $50K and they don't deal much at all. If I were you I would just buy a new one. The new body style with the V8 came out in 2003 and they have the highest resale in the market. Can you tell I really like it???
smile.gif

Actually M1 10W-30 will be fine.
grin.gif
, but there is a lot more to the equation than pour points. I live in Tenn. and M1 10W-30 is not all that superb at Zero cold starts.

I don't see it as being a big inconvenience to pick up the 5W-30 M1 and run it in the dead of Winter.

MRV and Cold Crank simulator numbers are much more relevant than pour point. In fact pour points are somewhat meaningless.

Ditto that. I was going to add that even though the numbers may say that, in real life and from personal experience, there is a difference of the two when it's below freezing.

Guess I will use the Mobil 1 5w30, it still gets good UOA numbers at the 5K mile interval I will be using for OCI. Thanks guys I will be changing the oil myself and will have to keep the receipts to show I changed the oil and it will show the oil I put in the engines. Don't want to give the Dealers a opening for any warranty denial.

Man oh man, I hate to see what your car payments are like with a 03 and on 04 sitting all snug in the heated garage. I'm just south of you in Oklahoma and the M1 10W-30 would work. But for the winter, I'd be inclined to go down to the 5W-30's. I mean, we did have some cold @ss weather for a while.

quote:

Originally posted by Schmoe:
Man oh man, I hate to see what your car payments are like with a 03 and on 04 sitting all snug in the heated garage. I'm just south of you in Oklahoma and the M1 10W-30 would work. But for the winter, I'd be inclined to go down to the 5W-30's. I mean, we did have some cold @ss weather for a while.

I hear you, but the Mobil 1 10w30 has a pour rate of -45 degrees C and a recommended SL dino oil in the 5w30 range has a pour rate of -38 degrees C. So wouldn't that mean the Mobil 1 10w30 would be better in below "0" degree weather than a dino 5w30 that the dealer would use? If so then I should be covered under warranty if a lube problem occured using the Mobil 1 10w30 year round and I wouldn't have to hassle with changing to Mobil 1 5w30 in the winter. What do you think?

After this next interval of 5w30 in the Tacoma it will be 10w30. The 5w30 is fine but my Runner purrs on the 10w30 so I am keeping it simple and using the 10w30 in both.
cheers.gif

P.S. Those new Runners are tempting! Every time I go to the dealer I walk over and check them out.

Daily Drives:
-2003 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner XtraCab, 2.7 Liter , Mobil1 Synthetic SS 5W-30.
ODO 8700 Miles.
-1995 Toyota 4-Runner 3.0 V6, Mobil1 Synthetic SS 10W-30.
ODO 85500 Miles.
http://community.webshots.com/user/amkeer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back