Is Mobil 1 0w40 still one of the best all around choices?

I haven’t been around here in a while and I’m basically running on the knowledge I remember from here a few years back. I recently went to changing the oil myself on my wife’s 2014 Edge Sport and my 2017 F150 is now out of warranty and I’ll be changing the oil myself the next time. I planned on switching from the Motorcraft 5w20 to Pennzoil Ultra 5w30, only I can’t find it anywhere locally, so I went back to my go to I’ve used in every other vehicle in the past and grabbed Mobil 1 0w40. The Edge got 0w40 today for the first time and plan to use it in the F150 since it’s readily available here it seems. Any reason not to use it? My wife has a big of a heavy foot and short trips it most of the time with a long trip typically only once a month so I’ve had my concerns about fuel dilution especially with 5w20. The Edge tends to have a rattly top end with the 5w20 which hasn’t been a concern with 5w30 and now 0w40.

I haven’t had any issues with the F150 that constitutes the change other than I prefer to only stock one oil.

Run it for two 5K mile OCI's in both, unless you don't like its performance. Analyze the oil near the end of the second OCI, say around 4500 miles, and ask for the TBN numbers. Others here may different ideas.

I think it'll do well -- better than your 20 weight oils. But, that's for you to decide. Quality 30 weight oils would perform well, too. Good luck. Let us all know how it goes.

Lots of opinions will crop up in this thread.
I think 0W40(any brand) will be fine considering that the temps are warming up and we're heading into the summer months. And the 0W will be perfect for winter while the W40 being awesome for the summer.
I can't really comment if this is the optimal grade oil for you & wife situation but I certainly don't this you'll be hurting anything except a slight fuel economy hit and you may not even notice that.

i read somewhere that it used to be pao and then switched to a mixture of base stocks and they were planning on going gtl in the future. not sure if that ever happened. seems once i learn something about an oil the next day i learn that was old news and its completely different now.

i read somewhere that it used to be pao and then switched to a mixture of base stocks and they were planning on going gtl in the future. not sure if that ever happened. seems once i learn something about an oil the next day i learn that was old news and its completely different now.

That’s what it felt like to me when I realized how long it had been since I posted here. It seems like so much changes in such a short amount of time. That and when I went with the intention of buying Pennzoil Ultra, saw the black label and picked it up and it just said “Synthetic” and was cheaper than Platinum I was a bit confused. No Ultra to be seen. How many different synthetics does Pennzoil need to make? Seems like no one here carries their full line and no one had Ultra. At least Mobil 1 isn’t confusing to me. Didn’t feel like standing in the oil aisle reading on my phone so I grabbed what I’ve used in the past and got out of there.

Any 0w40 is a great choice...

Wisconsin is a cool climate. Where I am, stepping up a grade or 2 is not an issue. Consider the higher hths 0w30 or 5w30's too.

I also don't understand the logic of waiting for the warranty to expire to do what might be better for the engine. I am DIY on both new vehicles since day one. One has 5w30 synthetic in place of 5w20 conventional. The other has 0w40 in place of 0w20.

Any 0w40 is a great choice...

Wisconsin is a cool climate. Where I am, stepping up a grade or 2 is not an issue. Consider the higher hths 0w30 or 5w30's too.

I also don't understand the logic of waiting for the warranty to expire to do what might be better for the engine. I am DIY on both new vehicles since day one. One has 5w30 synthetic in place of 5w20 conventional. The other has 0w40 in place of 0w20.

It wasn’t so much not using the different grade of oil, it was using the dealer for oil changes for record keeping. That and the dealer has gave me 4-5 free oil changes over the last 3 years. They obviously weren’t going to use anything but the grade specified by Ford.

Call me oil fashioned, but I don’t really care for 5w20 in a large truck that is used in tough environments and in vehicles driven aggressively. I remember seeing something from one of the people that were part of the Ford modular team saying they didn’t recommend using 5w20 when Ford backdated the recommendation. Their early testing showed acceptable results, but engines run hot in severe service started showing excessive engine wear. Obviously that isn’t something that would affect people who use their trucks for A to B for groceries.

To me 0w30 and 0w40 in Euro spec oils is the same thing, it's just that the KV100 of the 0w40 happens to be a hair thicker than 30 grade whereas the 0w30s are usually pretty thick for grade just on the edge of being a 40 grade, since the specs they're trying to meet weren't really designed around meeting a specific SAE viscosities but rather targeting a certain minimum HTHS while maintaining cold pumpability as a result of this the end product can fall between 0w30 and 0w40, I wouldn't really consider switching between either going up or down a grade.

Delvac 0W40 might be the best of Mobil's offerings with a price to match. Next is their 0W40 Euro blend, and can be found on sale at WM.
Shell T6 and Petro Can Duron are very good 0W40s.
Chevron doesn't make a 0w40, but their 5w40 Delo is the thickest offering I've seen. The HTHS is around 4.2 and CK-4 approved.

That’s what it felt like to me when I realized how long it had been since I posted here. It seems like so much changes in such a short amount of time. That and when I went with the intention of buying Pennzoil Ultra, saw the black label and picked it up and it just said “Synthetic” and was cheaper than Platinum I was a bit confused. No Ultra to be seen. How many different synthetics does Pennzoil need to make? Seems like no one here carries their full line and no one had Ultra. At least Mobil 1 isn’t confusing to me. Didn’t feel like standing in the oil aisle reading on my phone so I grabbed what I’ve used in the past and got out of there.
yep. its crazy. i figured pennzoil ultra had been discontinued. i seen the new pennzoil synthetic. i grabbed platinum instead.

It wasn’t so much not using the different grade of oil, it was using the dealer for oil changes for record keeping. That and the dealer has gave me 4-5 free oil changes over the last 3 years. They obviously weren’t going to use anything but the grade specified by Ford.

Call me oil fashioned, but I don’t really care for 5w20 in a large truck that is used in tough environments and in vehicles driven aggressively. I remember seeing something from one of the people that were part of the Ford modular team saying they didn’t recommend using 5w20 when Ford backdated the recommendation. Their early testing showed acceptable results, but engines run hot in severe service started showing excessive engine wear. Obviously that isn’t something that would affect people who use their trucks for A to B for groceries.
i used to run 0w40 in my f150 with the same engine. cant find it consistently anymore so i run 5w30. the valvetrain is quite with either. it used to rattle when i first got it (used) and ran 5w20. probably just varnish in some hydraulic component and synthetic cleaned it out by now but im not going back. truck is nearing end of life cycle anyway.

I'm liking Pennzoil Platinum Euro 0W40 in my car. Only place you can consistently find it is on Walmart's website. M1 0W40 Euro tends to go on sale more often though. I just tend to stick to one brand and call it a day for consistency.

Try this

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210420-160938.jpg
    Screenshot_20210420-160938.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 59
HTHS is the only thing that matters. it’s the cheapest ticket to a long (15k+) oci and far more robust than any vanilla syn on the market

for $23/5L it’s lots of value for money. QSUD/old formula helix ultra 5w40 is a very good deal as well

HTHS is the only thing that matters. it’s the cheapest ticket to a long (15k+) oci and far more robust than any vanilla syn on the market

for $23/5L it’s lots of value for money. QSUD/old formula helix ultra 5w40 is a very good deal as well

With all the short tripping the Edge does I don’t think it’ll be getting any long service intervals. The F150 maybe. It’s not direct injected and does see some highway miles so it’s rather easy on oil with an almost 8 quart capacity, but even then I tend to change it around the 8-9 month range which for me is around 6k-7k miles. Neither have had any oil usage even on 5w20 that I’ve noticed. I’ll probably go another 2 months before I convert the F150 over to 0w40. I’m in 7 months and 4500 miles on the Motorcraft 5w20 that is in it now.

With all the short tripping the Edge does I don’t think it’ll be getting any long service intervals. The F150 maybe. It’s not direct injected and does see some highway miles so it’s rather easy on oil with an almost 8 quart capacity, but even then I tend to change it around the 8-9 month range which for me is around 6k-7k miles.
I’d push it to 18+ months and 14k with any decent filter.

If the edge is DI i’d stick with a vanilla and the current interval

Back