Is MC actually engineered for Fords?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I read somewhere about MC stating that it was engineered for Ford engines.

Is there something unique about Ford engines that MC addressed?

That's the impression of a few around here. Ford obviously has its "WSS-M2C929-A" 5W-30, "WSS-M2C930-A" 5W-20, and "WSS-M2C205" 10w-30 specifications, but it can be argued those specs. are merely re-caps of the API SM specifications for those viscosities that all other brands of those viscosities that claim to meet the API SM spec. have to meet, too. GM and DaimlerChrysler also have lubrication specifications. (Surprise, surprise, surprise - American (as well as Japanese) automakers sit in on and contribute input during the planning stages as to the qualities they regard as essential to the API for the original and each subsequent API service category!) File all the automakers' insistence at quoting obscure internal service specification nomenclature as pure "FUD" - Fear, Uncertainty, and Doubt - as the operative method they resort to to scare owners into shopping for specific brands of service fill lubes and fluids. If you look up the various API member oil company product data sheets online for motor oils
gasp!>, they list meeting the various automakers' internal current specs., by internal service specification name, for their SM motor oils.
wink.gif

[ April 15, 2006, 02:25 PM: Message edited by: Ray H ]

quote:

Originally posted by Ray H:
That's the impression of a few around here. Ford obviously has its "WSS-M2C929-A" 5W-30, "WSS-M2C930-A" 5W-20, and "WSS-M2C205" 10w-30 specifications, but it can be argued those specs. are merely re-caps of the API SM specifications for those viscosities ...

How so? Ford's 5w20 and 5w30 specs have tighter requirements in some areas than do the requirements to meet SM/GF4.

Isn't the sequence double the time for Ford or something like that? Having the Ford Spec is a good indicator of quality IMO and I don't even have a Ford.

quote:

Originally posted by Bryanccfshr:
Isn't the sequence double the time for Ford or something like that? Having the Ford Spec is a good indicator of quality IMO and I don't even have a Ford.

How, then, do other blenders claim to meet the Ford motor oil specifications in their product cata sheets? Ford's doubled time in certain test sequences were promoted by Ford to the API during the development phase for the API SM spec and became part of the testing. In other words, if it's licensed as "SM", it fully meets Ford's original, extended engineering requirements, too. Someone would have to offer me independently researched, verified, and notorized data that Motorcraft (formulated by ConocoPhillips in the U.S. - Ford does not blend or formulate motor oils.) SM 5W-20 is demonstrably superior to TropArtic, Pennzoil, Castrol, Valvoline, or even SuperTech SM 5W-20 motor oils in protecting current Ford engines in controlled and repeatable extended testing before I would retract my position. There's no "magic" in Motorcraft oil, here. Ford opened up its own can of worms when its extended test sequences were accepted and accomodated by the API before actual testing of formulae commenced. That very fact assured that competing brands not only could, but would be required to meet those standards because they became the de facto stadards for every member of the API to market SM qualified product without fear of sanctions. The blenders took "yes" for an answer. Why can't BITOGers?

Agreed, there is nothing magic about MC oil. However, ANY 5w20 oil that meets Ford's spec has to pass certain test protocols related to wear and deposit control that are more stringent that what is required for SM/GF4. MC 5w20 meets the Ford spec, but so do a lot of others.

The old WSS-M2C153-H spec for 5w20 required the oil to pass a double length Sequence IIIF test (160 hours) with a max vis increase of 200%. (The standard Seq IIIF for GF3 was 80 hours with 275% max vis increase.) The new WSS-M2C930-A spec for 5w20 does not have this requirement. Here's why:

For GF4 the Sequence IIIG test replaced IIIF and it requires 100 hours with a max vis increase of 150%. As you can see, the IIIG is quite a bit more stringent than the old IIIF. Evidently Ford concluded that any oil that can meet the IIIG requirements would in fact pass their old double length IIIF 200% max vis requirement.

quote:

Originally posted by 06RANGER:
So I'm guessing any 930-A spec'd oil is pretty good stuff, and that includeds dinos from all the majors.

Yep.
cheers.gif

This is probably the test they run when accepting bid for the next oil contract in the new engine fill. Like many industry, they could have additional requirement when accepting new vendors.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back