is maxlife ATF really THAT good?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I experienced no change after a drain-and-fill of Honda OEM ATF (DW-1) and nothing changed. The car shifted well as when we first bought it with 60k miles.

It may have been coincidence, but after a single drain-and-fill using MaxLife I started experiencing a 1-2 flair and minor other oddities; no major changes, but very noticeable.

After 2 more drain-and-fill with OEM fluid it's back to normal. Unfortunately, my data is ruined, because I took the car into the dealer shortly after the 1st drain-and-fill for them to apply a TCM update, which could very well be the cause of the better shifting.

Unfortunately, the degraded shifting coincided with the MaxLife, so I will no longer consider anything but Honda DW-1.

Originally Posted By: Oil Changer
That stuff is world class garbage. This sewer water somehow became a darling of the forum due to the cheap clique crowd promoting that swill. Members of this forum with no experience with this bottled slop parrot a scripted, "This stuff is great!" and people read it and perpetuate the lie. I wouldn't pay a dollar for that puke Ashland tries to pass off as transmission fluid.

Caveat emptor.

A complete and utterly fact-free rant doesn't hold a lot of weight.

OTOH, I HAVE used it and had it improve shifting in every transmission it went into (mostly Toyotas - who unfortunately DO have mediocre factory fluid to start with).

There are simply far, far too many people who use it and factually and thoroughly note their cases and their results. It's very good stuff that, if fits the recommendations for your vehicle, can be a GREAT choice vs. mediocre factory fluids or non-synthetic alternatives.

I did two drain and fills with Max Life ATF on the 1991 Buick in my sig. Its shifting much much better than before. I have full confidence in using this fluid in DEX applications and plan on using it for a drain and fill on the Uplander in the near future. Would I use Max Life in my Honda? NO WAY! Some manufacturers are picky about AFT choice, so OEM all they way for it
wink.gif

I'm using maxlife on a 98 Toyota Sienna and a 97 Honda Civic. Prior to using max life I was using Mobil 1 Universal ATF. I noticed no change in shift characteristics on both vehicles after changing to Max Life. As mentioned by most, it's a good value for the money.

Regards, JC.

Hello, I've used Valvoline MaxLife in 7 cars with 3 different transmissions.
2 called for a Dex/Merc, 4 called for 3309 (Asin-Warner 55-50S) and 1 called for Toyota T-IV.

Blackened filth exited the trans. Smother shifts followed.

If it's specced I'll continue to use it. No memorized scripts or sheep-like trance here.
I did hear about it here. OMG have I been duped?

Kira

That stuff is world class garbage. This sewer water somehow became a darling of the forum due to the cheap clique crowd promoting that swill. Members of this forum with no experience with this bottled slop parrot a scripted, "This stuff is great!" and people read it and perpetuate the lie. I wouldn't pay a dollar for that puke Ashland tries to pass off as transmission fluid.

Caveat emptor.

*golf clap*

You're so edgy, you renegade, you.

Using Maxlife ATF in my '99 Silverado and shifts are silky smooth. I would not however use this in our Acura TL or Honda Accord since those tranny's require only OEM or bust.

Working great for a DIII spec. Shifts are getting smoother and quicker every day it seems (after approx 2k miles). It replaced fluid that was probably over 100k old on an original 190k transmission. I'll probably do one more drain and fill and top off with Lubegard Red to be sure.

Originally Posted By: gathermewool
I experienced no change after a drain-and-fill of Honda OEM ATF (DW-1) and nothing changed. The car shifted well as when we first bought it with 60k miles.

It may have been coincidence, but after a single drain-and-fill using MaxLife I started experiencing a 1-2 flair and minor other oddities; no major changes, but very noticeable.

After 2 more drain-and-fill with OEM fluid it's back to normal. Unfortunately, my data is ruined, because I took the car into the dealer shortly after the 1st drain-and-fill for them to apply a TCM update, which could very well be the cause of the better shifting.

Unfortunately, the degraded shifting coincided with the MaxLife, so I will no longer consider anything but Honda DW-1.

MaxLife is NOT rated for use in a DW-1 specced Honda transmisson unit. Only Z-1 rated specs. Look on their label, it is NOT listed as being compatible with DW-1 fluid.

Castrol TransMax IMV ATF is specced for BOTH DW-1 and Z-1 applications.

Caveat emptor.

Grow up.

Last edited:

Caveat emptor.

I have used this in all sorts of Dex spec units for years with no problems whatsoever.
Some people just don't want or cant spend Amsoil money so i put this in for them if they have a GM, older Toyota, Subaru, Volvo, etc, never had a complaint.

Good full synthetic fluid at a very fair price. You are the only one i ever heard complain about it. Wonder why?

As far as ATF is concerned:

I rate Amsoil and Redline as top-tier (Group III, IV, & V) and MaxLife Full Synthetic (Group III+) as above average. These 3 blends have more stable basestocks and don't shear like many other ATF's.

Originally Posted By: 147_Grain
As far as ATF is concerned:

I rate Amsoil and Redline as top-tier (Group III, IV, & V) and MaxLife Full Synthetic (Group III+) as above average. These 3 blends have more stable basestocks and don't shear like many other ATF's.

how can you say that when no UOA are available on maxlife? do you know something I don't?

Not to mention that Maxlife is also thinner than many comparable DEX/MERC fluids (like M1 ATF, and the AMSOIL ATF).

I have used Maxlife ATF in a variety of applications including Fords, Jeeps, and Chevrolets. No problem as of yet, in fact I say that performance of shifting has improved in the aapplications I have used Maxlife as the fluid. Overall, I like all of Valvoline's products including Maxlife engine oil and transmission fluid. I fully understand that if the Maxlife ATF doesn't meet the specifications of the car then I would probably not use it in that case.

Used Max-Life DexVI in PAU for last two drain and fills. No Problems.

Recently conducted first drain, filter change and fill on 2006 Pontiac G6 2.4 with 75k without any issues.

Good product especially when on sale for $10.99 Per gallon this past summer at our favorite store to buy $1 qts. of Castrol SynBlend.

Last edited:
Running Maxlife in our '08 Uplander with the 4T65E specced for Dexron VI. Shifts feel more solid IMO, as they should. Fluid should not cause softer shifting and slipping clutches.

Is Maxlife gods gift to gearheads? no.

Is Mobil 1/Redline/Amsoil/OEM so much better to justify the price difference? no

I can't speak for every make and model, but the one vehicle I did put it in is doing great.

2002Ford Taurus 205k miles
1998 F150 105k miles
2004 Xterra 89k miles

Most have had 3 drain and fills of maxxllife
No issues to report. Very good fluid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back