Is M1's 0-20 being discontinued?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mobil is intoducing M1 EP 5-20.

Will M1 0-20 be phased out?

I just picked up some M1 0-20 with the B3G3F coupon. It's going into an '01 Grand Marq 4.6 w/ 25k miles.

Will 0-20 work in the upcoming South Texas Heat. The GMarq gets driven about 5-8k miles a year. Will a once a year OCI work if I don't exceed my usual 8k/yr max? I will use either my free Bosch Premium filter or a MoCraft filter I have a small stock of.

Thanks!

quote:

Originally posted by Islandvic:
Mobil is intoducing M1 EP 5-20.

Will M1 0-20 be phased out?

I just picked up some M1 0-20 with the B3G3F coupon. It's going into an '01 Grand Marq 4.6 w/ 25k miles.

Will 0-20 work in the upcoming South Texas Heat. The GMarq gets driven about 5-8k miles a year. Will a once a year OCI work if I don't exceed my usual 8k/yr max? I will use either my free Bosch Premium filter or a MoCraft filter I have a small stock of.

Thanks!

I have no idea about Mobil1 phasing out their 0w-20.

IMO, 0w-20 with a big engine and Texas heat just don't sound right to me. I know about all of the good tests done on 20 weight oils here, but I'd be inclined to run a 0w-30, 5w-30 or 10w-30 in that engine and location for sure, no second thoughts about it in my book. Dunno how it affects warranty or anything like that but I'd be willing to bet that engine lasts longer running on a good 30 weight in hot conditions. And I think you could go certainly go either 6,9, or 12 months on oil changes with a good oil and low miles, once again I dunno about warranty implications. I'd prefer 6 months in that scenario but either should work.

Yes, 0W-20 is disappearing and being replaced by 5W-20 in the normal Mobil 1 line, not the EP line. The only 0W's left are the 0W-30 and 0W-40.

quote:

Originally posted by lyle:
Yes, 0W-20 is disappearing and being replaced by 5W-20 in the normal Mobil 1 line, not the EP line. The only 0W's left are the 0W-30 and 0W-40.

I don't think this is true at all, where did you hear this? AFAIK, the EP line is in addition to the regular M1 lineup, so none of the old viscosities will be dropped.

quote:

It's probably just being relabled as a 5W20 now.

When I looked at the oil specs for 5W20, the pour point is -53F. The old 0W20 had a pour point of -58F. So I am not certain if it was just relabled. Would someone like to do a side-by-side test to find out? All we need is a some -53 and -58 weather!!
smile.gif

Here's a theory for why the 0w-20 is gone from the lineup. Mobil probably didn't grab enough market share from the uneducated, oil-ignorant public at large. I'd bet that many well-meaning owners of Fords and Hondas shied away, afraid that this stuff was "too thin" for their 5w-20 cars (
rolleyes.gif
). Then, as the new line is brought out, clearly with some tweaking to the formulae, Mobil just decided to "go with the flow," and make the revised product a 5w-20, so as to attract more of the Ford/Honda market. My final layer of speculation is that since brewing oils is inherently a game of balancing compromises, Mobil optimized some other parameter and in so doing, gave away a few degrees of ultimate low temp performance. Anyone's geuss as to whether this new formula would still "qualify" as a 0w-20 if Mobil wanted to label it as such. I've got a sneaking suspicion that it probably would. Again, this is just a possible scenario that might explain what's going on. And then again, it might be totally wrong.

quote:

Originally posted by ekpolk:
Here's a theory for why the 0w-20 is gone from the lineup. Mobil probably didn't grab enough market share from the uneducated, oil-ignorant public at large. I'd bet that many well-meaning owners of Fords and Hondas shied away, afraid that this stuff was "too thin" for their 5w-20 cars (
rolleyes.gif
). Then, as the new line is brought out, clearly with some tweaking to the formula, Mobil just decided to "go with the flow," and make the revised product a 5w-20, so as to attract more of the Ford/Honda market.

Agree.

I guess I may be buying extra quantities of inexpensive 5W-20 for the receipts while under warranty (and for summer use) and running a 0W-30 for the winter. Out of principle, I'm not using anything without the 0W for our winters!

Running 0 or 5w20 in south texas: Just do it, and don't even look back. Been running mc 5w20 in the wife's 5.4 for a while now (5-6k oci) through three summers down here. Smooth as silk. I don't tow a whole lot, but regular to moderate driving ( passing trucks a couple at a time) No sweat for this oil. MC is a g2/3. The m1 is pao. I doubt very much you will have any problems except a lower fuel bill.
btw: I've used both the 5w20 and the 0w20 in various names, To the gentleman saying you will get better mileage with the "0" I say, I didn't see it. In fact my honda does better with the 5w20 mileage wise. But that is just my case maybe for you it is better.
dunno.gif

best regards,
r.

quote:

Originally posted by Islandvic:
Will 0-20 work in the upcoming South Texas Heat. The GMarq gets driven about 5-8k miles a year. Will a once a year OCI work if I don't exceed my usual 8k/yr max?

Given Ford's design of the 4.6L modular V8, their recommendations, and the numerous UOAs we've seen, I am of the opinion that M1 0w20 or the new M1 5w20 will perform well for you with 8K/once a year OCIs assuming normal driving conditions.

I would run at least one UOA at about 5K to insure there are no other problems lurking. A small coolant leak over the long haul could wear the engine out before it's time. If it were me, and I wanted to keep it for 10+ years, I'd do a UOA once a year to check on things. $25 once a year is cheap insurance in my book. My $.02

[ February 04, 2005, 06:01 PM: Message edited by: 427Z06 ]

quote:

M1 0w20 or the M1 EP 5w20 will perform

Their is no Mobil 1 5w-20 EP. Only GF-4 5w-20. They made a 5w bc people are too stupid thats why. Plain and simple.

I am still on conventional oem fill on a 2004 Honda Civic. I did the research and got stock of Mobil One 0w20. Due to the lower viscosity and engine time operated in the lower viscosity, the research also indicated 1-3 mpg better using Mobil 0w20 than 5w20. Just when you select the high bar, the bar gets even higher! For me the verdict is still out on whether the Mobil 5w20 will garner the same mpg than the 0w20.

I just called Mobil1 and asked for cold cranking and cold pumping specs for the new 5w-20. He said they don't have them yet. He said the 5w-20 is a new formulation, which may be, but the cold cranking and pumping specs will determine whether it's still a 0w-20 relabeled.

quote:

Originally posted by buster:

quote:

M1 0w20 or the M1 EP 5w20 will perform

Their is no Mobil 1 5w-20 EP. Only GF-4 5w-20. They made a 5w bc people are too stupid thats why. Plain and simple.

It's a shame to see an oil re-marketed just because of people's ignorance.

M1 0w-20 is one of the best 20wt choices out there, it's a shame to see it be discontinued.

My 3.5L Honda engine uses 5W-20 and I had been using Mobil 1 0W-20 until I noticed they cancelled it. I called Mobil and they said that due to Ford & Honda denying warranty claims due to people using there 0W-20 oil they decited to make an exact match to the recommended oil to avoid further troubles. That is why they discontinued the 0W.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back