Is M1 Higher Mileage Formula Safe for new Cars?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I purchased some Mobil 1 SuperSyn 10w30 labeled "For Higher Mileage Cars". I also have some 5w30 labeled "For Newer Vehicles". When I bought the 10w30, I assumed the 10w30 was labeled as such because most new vehicles recommend 5w30. I also suspected it was just a marketing thing.

Is it safe to run this 10w30 in a new vehicle? Does Mobil make a 10w30 SuperSyn for "Newer Vehicles"?

I'm doing a VOA on the 10w30 to see what I have, but it won't tell me what the ester makeup is. So I guess I'm wondering if this is just a marketing label, or do they really have a high mileage formula in the SuperSyn? It's in the 5qt bottle I bought at Walmart.

[ January 05, 2003, 11:17 PM: Message edited by: Giles ]

If your owner's manual says 10W-30 is fine, use it.

Mobil's 'Older Vehicle Formula', 'New Car Formula', 'Red Car with Racing Stripe Formula' is all marketing hype. Go with the weight your owner's manual says.

quote:

Originally posted by mormit:
If your owner's manual says 10W-30 is fine, use it.

Mobil's 'Older Vehicle Formula', 'New Car Formula', 'Red Car with Racing Stripe Formula' is all marketing hype. Go with the weight your owner's manual says.

Yes, and for the 10w30, it seems to have backfired. The new 10w30 bottles are coming in with "Multi-vehicle Formula" on them.

Thanks for the reassurances but I just sent in a sample for VOA just to see if I got the moly version or not.

You have to love marketing. They really can confuse things for those that care
gr_stretch.gif

quote:

Originally posted by MolaKule:
If I'm not mistaken, the SL version of Tri-Syn had moly in it as well.

I believe this to be true, as my mom's oil sample showed 18ppm of moly, and I changed her oil with SJ formula TriSynthetic, but topped it up with 1 liter of SL formula TriSynthetic along the way.

My sister's car is now running SL formula TriSynthetic, so in mid March when I change it out we'll see just how much moly is in a full crankcase of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back