Is M1 0W-40 good for this application

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dont forget chevron delo synthetic 5w-40. Its new and has wonderful specs. Pours down to -45c and 15.6 cst at 100C. TBN 11.3

Dan

Or maybe delvac 1.
smile.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Dan4510:
Dont forget chevron delo synthetic 5w-40. Its new and has wonderful specs. Pours down to -45c and 15.6 cst at 100C. TBN 11.3

Dan

----------------------
Dan,

I searched the web for info on Delo syn 5w/40....didn't find a thing...not on Chevron web-site either.
where can I get some more info on this oil?
Where can one buy it?

any further info?

thanks...

97tbird,

Here is the url for the basic info on it:

http://www.chevron.com/prodserv/ehl/docs/chv_delo400syn.pdf

If you want to see the msds safety sheet go to the main page, click on fuels and motor oils and on that page is a link to the msds sheets. Do a search for delo synthetic 5w-40 and it will pop that up.

I found it at a local otr truck parts house that carries baldwin filters and parts for heavy trucks. I did NOT find it in walmart here in athens ga. The manager said it was a very recent item chevron had come out with and he only bought a case of gallons and a case of qts to try it out. It was speced for the new volvo trucks.

From what I found on this site and a couple of others, it is a pao-ester based oil not a group III.

Hope this helps.

Dan

Dan,

Thanks for the info and the link...I read it, and it does seem to be an impressive oil.
From that site one dealer here in Knoxville, (Tri-counti oils), and I'm thinking about using it in my 97 Ford 4.6L sohc AFTER an Auto-Rx treatment.
I have a few more questions, if you don't mind:
--have you already used this oil or are you using it currently? What is your impression about it?
--how do you think it'll behave in winter?
-- are you using this in a gas engine?
--cost?
--does it come in 1 qt-bottles?

Thanks again

I have not tried the M1 0W40 yet. If you live in a state with harsh winters I would lean towards RL 5W30 or 5W40. I live in a state that tends to stay at about -7 to -17 F fore most of winter with a few -25 days sprinkled in. If it was much colder then -17F most days I would opt for RL or Amsoil 5W30.

If you live in warm state then I would go right for RL 10W30,5W40, 15W40. You usaly start out with a 30wt and work up or down from their. I doubt you will have any problems though! With M1 I have used 5W30,10W30 and 15W50 and all of them have their place.

THe problem with the 0W40 so far has been the shearing out of grade. I do not know if it would be my first choice in a supercharged car. The only way to find out for sure is to run it and test it.

whoah wait, 0W-40 is subject to premature shearing???

I wouldn't expect it since it's a Group IV synthetic (not as much VI's as a dino oil)....

please elaborate - how many miles could I go in an interval?

Oh yeah, I'm in the Southeast Michigan area - it's going to be my first winter here but weather.com's averages show that it's not much colder than NJ in the winter.

I hail from Northeast NJ, but just moved to SE Michigan for a new job.

quote:

Originally posted by 97tbird:
Dan,

Thanks for the info and the link...I read it, and it does seem to be an impressive oil.
From that site one dealer here in Knoxville, (Tri-counti oils), and I'm thinking about using it in my 97 Ford 4.6L sohc AFTER an Auto-Rx treatment.
I have a few more questions, if you don't mind:
--have you already used this oil or are you using it currently? What is your impression about it?
--how do you think it'll behave in winter?
-- are you using this in a gas engine?
--cost?
--does it come in 1 qt-bottles?

Thanks again

97tbird,

I am not currently using it. I am completing an Auto Rx cycle and will change oil in the next few days for the rinse cycle. After that I will be using the delo for the first time in my 1978 plymouth volare with a slant six.

I think it will be great in winter. synthetic and 5w with the 40c spec what it is, it will do great.

Cost quoted for me. 4.63 per quart and 17.42 per gallon. And yes, it does come in quarts. The distributor I checked with has both.

Dan

6 psi Eaton M90S-Ported supercharger on a Ford 4.6L SOHC V8 (Romeo engine).

The factory recommends 5W-30 and now 5W-20 for the naturally aspirated engine, but I will be supercharging it very soon and would like maximum protection for the internals.

If it's not a good weight to use, please recommend one. Amsoil doesn't make a 5W-40 or 0W-40, just 10W-40.

I currently use M1 5W-30.

I think M1 0W40 would work beautifully in this engine. It is the right weight and it has the credentials that should make you very comfortable using it.

[ October 11, 2003, 12:47 PM: Message edited by: pscholte ]

Sprintman is right, I have a printout from Redline which shows the specs for their 5w40:

Vis at 100c-15.1
Vis at 40c-94
VI-170
CCS Viscosity 55@-30C
HTHS-4.6
Pour Point -49F
Flash Point 480F
Noack 6%

ALexD, Redline does make a 5W40 and I happen to have 4.6 quarts of it in my crankcase right now! I sugest you call Redline and ask them. Their website is not up to date!!! Our Redline sponsor "Myoilshop.com" also does not list it on their site but they too have it!!

The shearing issue is that the oil initialy shears out of weight latter it thickens back up again. I would rather have an oil that does not shear out of weight. We have not seen enough UOA of this oil for me to feel warm and fuzy about! We have also hard reports of increased oil consumption on this site in reguards to the 0W40.

Why put the untested 0W40 in when you can have Delvac-1 5W40 witch is well tested? I am testing Redline 5W40 right now.

By well tested I mean buy the trucking industry. It has also been the subject of a lack luster paper published by the SAE. So it is a well known product with lots of testing. Delvac-1 has also been on the market for a long time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back