Is Lubro Moly base III or base IV ??

Status
Not open for further replies.
This oil brand is sold up here in Canada and it is very expensive ( $8.00 litre )
and it is being promoted as " the best ".
My question. Does anyone know if the base stock is III or IV ??

I'm not sure on the answer to your question but I just wanted to comment that $8 a liter isn't what I would consider "very expensive" up here. Price out Redline in your area and you'll be in for a big shock as to how much it costs in Canada. The lowest price I've found is $17 per quart, and some places are over $20! It's great oil, but I'll never pay that kind of money for it. With taxes, that would make one oil change on my car almost $120! And not including the cost of the filter!

WOW.......That I did not know.
I personaly use MI , 0W - 40 , but recently a local importer in Vancouver has started pushing this Lubro Moly and I am curious as to the base stock.

NK,

I believe their 5w-40 is group III and the lubromoly 0w-40 is PAO based. It is difficult to make a 0w-30 or 0w-40 using entirely group III baseoils - the low temp flow properties - "viscometrics" - simply aren't good enough.

TooSlick

The lubromoly 0w-40 meets all the same specs as the Mobil 1, 0w-40 - with the possible exception of DB 229.5. I consider them to be very comparable and the LM product may actually have a higher TBN. A very good German oil ....

TS

fyi..I use the 5W-40 and I pay (in the states) what works out to be about $5.50 a quart. The 0W/5W are the same price.

[ February 19, 2003, 01:20 PM: Message edited by: Steve_RI ]

It is definitely PAO, Group IV. They label it as "full synthetic", which means Group IV or V in Europe. Group III oils are not allowed to be called "full synthetic" there. LM has a separate name (LEICHTLAUF) for their Group III line of oils. The LM 5W-40 High Tech sold in dark violet containers is their PAO-based full synthetic motor oil. The Group III stuff is cheaper.

http://www.liqui-moly.de/web/lmhomeen.nsf/pages/index_produkte

Of note to Patman who must have a dose of Moly per day
wink.gif
the least expensive oil in the line is the 10/40 named: MOS2 Antifriction Super Motor Oil. The cost here in the States equals 4.10 per quart Retail,,comes in 5 quart jugs.

Although I am not interested in it they offer a Moly additive ,,cost is 5.25 Retail for a 300ML can. A guy might could use a couple cap fulls of this to see if he could enhance his ,,whatever oil

FWIW my info shows the 5/40 to be a full synthetic and the 0/40 a group III,,the 5/40 meets some requirements the 0/40 does not. Apparently it's at many locations in the USA

If the oil label reads "Leichtlauf" then this simply means that the oil is for light duty use and has no relation to the chemical composition. "Vollsynthese" and "synthetic technology" are generally used to differentiate between PAO and severely hydrocracked refinement.

That is not quite true. Leichtlauf mean "easy running" directly translated and refers to an energy conserving oil.
Also, the hydro cracked GIII oils are mostly called "HC" oils in Germany. Vollsynthetisch is fully synthetic and are GIV and GV oils.

I have known Liqui-Moly from way back growing up in Germany. They have been around for a long time and got started in the motorcycle lubricant market, especially chain lubes. I used their chain lubes on my first bike, a Suzuki GT250 2-stroke in 1978.

quote:

Originally posted by FowVay:
If the oil label reads "Leichtlauf" then this simply means that the oil is for light duty use and has no relation to the chemical composition. "Vollsynthese" and "synthetic technology" are generally used to differentiate between PAO and severely hydrocracked refinement.

[ December 01, 2003, 08:50 PM: Message edited by: Alex D ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back