Is LSPI an issue in the 2.3 EcoBoost?

Searching the internet doesn’t reveal much here. Most of what I see are posts regarding tuned Focus RSs and Rangers. I’m curious about the one in my 2016 Explorer. I know certain engines are more prone to this but I can’t find much here. I’m using an API SP Dexos1 oil as a general measure, and I typically run 93 octane for various reasons (waaaay better driveability mainly). Like most vehicles it’s eager to upshift and hold a gear even under decent load. It does have an impressive amount of low-end torque, but also seems like an ideal situation for LSPI if there ever was one.

You’re running 93 octane gas. That’s a positive. Don’t lug the engine and don’t worry about LSPI. Use a quality 5W30 and sleep well. I’ve owned two Ford Ecoboost powered cars and never worried about LSPI.

You’re running 93 octane gas. That’s a positive. Don’t lug the engine and don’t worry about LSPI. Use a quality 5W30 and sleep well. I’ve owned two Ford Ecoboost powered cars and never worried about LSPI.

Since it’s an automatic, can you really control lugging?

The 10-speed in my Mustang lugs the engine routinely. 1100 rpm at 40mph. If you ease into the throttle, it'll hold it, and it sends a low-frequency thrum through the unibody. But it won't let the engine do a lot of work before it downshifts. A millimeter too much throttle and it will drop two gears. I do it just to get rid of the thrum. I don't think it's hurting anything, but it's annoying. Exxon 93 and Mobil1.

I haven't seen of anyone in the Ranger world having a problem with it, but I still run a good oil and good fuel. Seems like the 2.3 isn't as sensitive to it as other motors.

Have a 2017 2.3 EcoBoost Explorer, run it on 87 E10 with mainly Mobil 1 5W-30 oil without any issues in 80,000 miles. I thought the LSPI issues were mainly on small DI Turbo engines.

Back