Is letting the engine idle to cool turbo necessary anymore?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I prefer to hose down the engine compartment after my commute. I hate half baked solutions
lol.gif

My 335 two-turbo will run the electric water pump for a while after shut down. After a long hot drive back from Chicago - 400 miles at 80 mph and oil temps around 240 - I could hear the pump running for 5-8 minutes in the garage. And that was after driving surface streets for a mile or so from the interstate. Since I did that drive regularly, I'd leave it running and lock it running into rest areas. That let the oil temp come down.

Just hit 194,000 yesterday on a trip up to the Range. Original turbos. Same electric water pump for the last 90k.

I let it idle about 30 seconds when were on road trips with her car, but it's water cooled so that really shouldn't matter. Stop and go traffic and such.. Not the typical steady RPM highway driving.

An oil that can take the beating from the turbo is what's key IMO.

Originally Posted By: SavagePatch
Originally Posted By: sleddriver
Want to really do your ride a favor? Open the hood before shutting down.
...and set up a fan to blow in to the bay.
*I assume you're being sarcastic too
Not at all.
Tough to argue with the sled's original turbocharger still in place.

Originally Posted By: gathermewool
Originally Posted By: sleddriver
Want to really do your ride a favor? Open the hood before shutting down.
I pop my hood before exiting the highway, every day! Works super well!
Yeah, sure you do dude. In CT of all places. You don't know what heat & humidity is.
I've got some 165F pavement for you to walk on barefoot.
Pop your hood on that!

Originally Posted By: KrisZ
I prefer to hose down the engine compartment after my commute. I hate half baked solutions
lol.gif

lol.gif
???
Is that it.
lol.gif
LOL???
From Canada even. Sure easy to "LOL" from > 44° latitude...dude.
Another hip/hop/flip/flop LOL'r who is clueless what unrelenting heat & Humidity really feels like. Much less comprehending thermodynamics.
There is a reason there continues to be shortage of engineers. (I did my part!)

Another snowflake melts....."LOL" (Yawn.... how 90's).

BITOG SNR sure entering a cold front....

The BMW N55 engine has turbos which are liquid and oil cooled along with an electric water pump which continues to circulate coolant through the block and turbos for a few minutes after shutdown.

The turbos in the BMW B58 have their own dedicated electric coolant pump.

For me at least there's no reason to let the car idle after normal driving.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: maxdustington
Originally Posted By: Hammehead
How could you know? You´re using Edge 0w40 in there ... There´s scientific study (Jaguar) that we, real Bitogers know, showing that a high rpm wide open throttle, the piston crowns, and top rings go up to 470-490F, and the oil won´t like that after several cycles of heat soak.

This thread is about turbo cars, I believe the spirit of the thread is "Is there potential for damage if you do not let a turbo car cool down?" My response is I doubt it makes a difference on a water cooled turbo with an auxiliary water pump or evaporative cooling system.

To your scientific study claim, I would still argue that even driving a NA car aggressively you would be hard pressed to get it hot enough to do any damage, especially a modern one. Did you see the thermal management on the new turbo 4 cyl in the GM trucks?

EDIT: 1000th post, not a real BITOGer.....

The turbo only gets exhausted gases that are formed on the pistons assembly and combustion chamber. NA car has them also. The spirit of the thread for me is possible heat damage from engine parts, like turbo and what not. I once had 5k post in here, but just lost my loggin and its retrieve email account. Word, to yours.

I once had 5k post in here, but just lost my loggin and its retrieve email account. Word, to yours.

Is that what happened?

The turbo only gets exhausted gases that are formed on the pistons assembly and combustion chamber. NA car has them also. The spirit of the thread for me is possible heat damage from engine parts, like turbo and what not. I once had 5k post in here, but just lost my loggin and its retrieve email account. Word, to yours.
I watch my oil temps in real time, I can see how much heat the turbo puts into the oil. Losing both the forum account and the email account is not very convincing, someone with 5k posts would probably have better English, too.

Originally Posted By: Eddie
Maxdustington appears to have a firm understanding of this cool down phenomenon or at least he thinks so. Ed
If you can't stand the discourse maybe we can find you a safe space where you can hide from contrary opinions?

Originally Posted By: maxdustington
I watch my oil temps in real time, I can see how much heat the turbo puts into the oil. Losing both the forum account and the email account is not very convincing, someone with 5k posts would probably have better English, too.

Originally Posted By: Eddie
Maxdustington appears to have a firm understanding of this cool down phenomenon or at least he thinks so. Ed
If you can't stand the discourse maybe we can find you a safe space where you can hide from contrary opinions?

Nope, what you see is the bulk sump oil temperature and there´s a delay on the gauge indication. In about 4k posts you can know a little more about it and stop getting embarrassed...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back