is late '80s GM FWD junk collectable now?

Status
Not open for further replies.
LOL.gif
That reminds me of when I saw an early 90's Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme convertible, totally stock and not in the greatest shape, in a car show! They were trying to sell it, too. I think they were asking something ridiculous like $5,000 for it. Very very similar to this one, it was the same color too:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Oldsmobil...d=p4506.c0.m245

I wonder if it's the same car?
LOL.gif

My old '90 Cutlass Ciera with the 3.3 V6 was the best car I ever owned once I got a new intake manifold gasket replaced.

I think the '98 Chev K1500 Extended Cab S/B with the Vortec 350 will be a classic. It was one of the best looking trucks they ever made, and it had the last/best 350 powerplant they ever made.

Originally Posted By: Jim 5
I think the '98 Chev K1500 Extended Cab S/B with the Vortec 350 will be a classic. It was one of the best looking trucks they ever made, and it had the last/best 350 powerplant they ever made.

last of the original SBC, but best? the newer genIII/IV small blocks are truly excellent engines.

A friend of mine in South Dakota had this exact car. A truly wretched vehicle that spent most of its time in the shop, and was full to the brim with rattles and creaks. If I HAD to have a Regal, it would be a later GS 3800 sedan, which were actually decent looking IMO.

But one of my favorite late-80s GM rides was the Olds Ciera International Series. A 3800 worked wonders for that car. We had one come into the dealership as a re-po and I had to drive it across town. A tire smoker, she was.

Originally Posted By: mpvue

last of the original SBC, but best? the newer genIII/IV small blocks are truly excellent engines.

I agree with you, but none of those engines are 350's. It's the best in the sense that the Vortec MPFI 350 was the most highly evolved iteration of an engine that got it's start in the '50s.

This would be collectable.

1986 Chevy Cavalier Z24 Hatchback. I think it looks great.

IMG_1960.jpg

I agree with you, but none of those engines are 350's. It's the best in the sense that the Vortec MPFI 350 was the most highly evolved iteration of an engine that got it's start in the '50s.

No. The most evolved version of the SBC was the LT1 and LT4 versions in the Corvette and F-cars.. The last of the 350's and were chock full of advancements not seen in the trucks.

Originally Posted By: GMBoy

No. The most evolved version of the SBC was the LT1 and LT4 versions in the Corvette and F-cars.. The last of the 350's and were chock full of advancements not seen in the trucks.

I don't know if I'd agree w/ 'chock full'; it seemed more like a last gasp before it was replaced.
I don't understand the love affair about the '350' designation; the new 4.8, 5.3, 6.0 and 6.2 are superior in every way. you can convert the size to SAE if you need to, but metric makes a lot more sense. once you investigate the engineering behind the genIII/IV LS engines, you'll realize how far ahead of the original SB they are.

Originally Posted By: GMBoy

Right. I was referring to what was available in trucks (in my own mind).

The new LS based engines are excellent, but when we are talking about collectables, there's no obsession with the 350, but the change from the old 350 architecture to the new LS series engines is a major one. The last/best of the breed tend to be most collectable. When it comes to trucks, full sized trucks tend to be the most collectable. When you combine all that, it occurs to me that this year of GM truck will end up being collectable.

Originally Posted By: silverrat
This would be collectable.

1986 Chevy Cavalier Z24 Hatchback. I think it looks great.

IMG_1960.jpg

Kind of reminds me of the old Chevy Citation X-11. Anyone remember that one?

Kind of reminds me of the old Chevy Citation X-11. Anyone remember that one?

Yes, unfortunately...

Yes, great cars bashed by writers taking payments from Honda as ''consultants''.

I had an 81 Phoenix, 4 door, V-6, and a 4 speed. Great car. Those were evil days for people wanting a little performance and room for 4 people. I don't remember doing much to it in 11 years and 140K. Even with the last of the carburetors and all the tacked on pollution controls. Certainly no timing belts or main relays. The only rust on it when I traded was on a door from the junk yard. After I was more or less rear ended, State Farm was more interested in getting my car fixed up cheap than keeping me from being blamed for the accident.

I was working at a Pontiac dealer when the Sunbird 3.1 V6 came out. We got one in with a 5-speed and I couldn't resist. TEST DRIVE!!!

What a fun car that was. Tons of torque-steer, but I didn't care. It was more fun to drive than the 2.0 turbo and had a great exaust growl. A little more subdued than the earlier Cavalier Z-24, but it got its point across.

Loved the original Z-24 coupe. Got a big kick out the ad campaigns for it...."A fox raised by wolves", with a Corvette and Camaro Z-28 pictured in the background.

Wow..the things I remember.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back