Is Kendall oil a good oil

I bought a 2010 TRD Toyota Tacoma and this one shop I go to for a oil change got me hooked on synthetic.I noticed the truck was on conventional from previous owners so this makes synthetic a transition.I just found out that Kendall is the synthetic this shop is using. I am curious on what you guys think about the zinc levels I heard they are low in this oil so this this a negative factor??

Kendall gt-1 max 5w 30

Does the bottle have this logo on it? If so, it's good oil
1624379521316.jpg

Unless your engine has flat tappets with an aggressive cam and stiff springs, the levels of zinc/phosphorus required by the API are more than enough to protect it. Why would a company release an engine in 2010 and require additive levels that exceed the limits of the current oil standards at the time?

Kendall GT1 max 5w30 is a dexos1 gen 2 certified oil.

yes I know the certification means nothing for Toyota except to prove that the oil went through a pretty stout certification process. Toyota just requires a ILSAC certification.

yes, Kendall is a good oil.

Last edited:
What’s that mean? I will also add when I checked the dip when it was hot it said half way.As a matter of fact when I checked it cold i could of sworn it looked lower then halfway like right above the “low” mark.I can be wrong because I can never tell with my dipstick (edited for profanity - mod)
Here are some threads on dipstick handling, perhaps one of them may be of some use:

Last edited by a moderator:
What consumption rate should I look for.I am just getting into this whole thing so bare with me.At 3,600 miles I checked the dipstick and it was showing half is this good consumption for this oil.
If you are burning oil, the best thing you can do is keep a check on it and add as needed. I’m not going to get into what oil is good or bad as far as consumption.

It's good stuff, if you can find it.

That's where I get mine. I'm in no way, shape, or form affiliated with them either. They're part of PSC. They did go up in price in the last year though, from $48 shipped to $55 shipped for a 12qt case. So now it's roughly equivalent to $22-23/5 qt jug for oils such as Valvoline AFS, Pennz Plat, Castrol Edge maybe. After I use up the rest of my stock, I'm not sure if I'll buy more.

It's good stuff, if you can find it.
Lots of oils seem to be regional or just more popular in certain areas. I'm in Ohio as well and can't say I've seen Kendall oil in any stores.

According to Kendall's website, the only nearby places you can get it from are auto repair facilities. I do realize that local / independent auto parts stores can buy from distributors that Kendall may not keep track of but I've never seen it....

That's where I get mine. I'm in no way, shape, or form affiliated with them either. They're part of PSC. They did go up in price in the last year though, from $48 shipped to $55 shipped for a 12qt case. So now it's roughly equivalent to $22-23/5 qt jug for oils such as Valvoline AFS, Pennz Plat, Castrol Edge maybe. After I use up the rest of my stock, I'm not sure if I'll buy more.
For that price you may as well buy Castrol Edge 5W-30 LL for only a bit more at $24.04/5 quarts if you want a "good" oil. It has VW 504 00 approval.

Back