Is it worth having a third car as a 'beater'?

Beater only make sense if you had it since a long time ago and retire it but not wanting to sell it, and it is unique because of sentimental value or if you need it as a special purpose vehicle (towing, hauling large item that won't fit, track car, moving trash and other smelly stuff around).

If you have 2 perfectly functional newish vehicles, buying a beater to save miles on the newer nicer cars rarely make senses.

Anyone here using a Prius as a beater? I maybe switching employers. My current position provides me with a company vehicle. If I take the new position I will have maybe a 3-4 miles of driving. Now I plan on biking weather permitting. The last couple days it has been below 0. I was entertaining the thought of a used Prius for the short winter commutes to keep the GX in the garage. We already short trip the accord. The wife is employed less than a mile. She usually walks when the weather is nice out. Having her drop me off early in the morning might work some days but on days that I get called in car pooling or riding a bike might not work. I think a Prius would be great. Thoughts?

Anyone here using a Prius as a beater? I maybe switching employers. My current position provides me with a company vehicle. If I take the new position I will have maybe a 3-4 miles of driving. Now I plan on biking weather permitting. The last couple days it has been below 0. I was entertaining the thought of a used Prius for the short winter commutes to keep the GX in the garage. We already short trip the accord. The wife is employed less than a mile. She usually walks when the weather is nice out. Having her drop me off early in the morning might work some days but on days that I get called in car pooling or riding a bike might not work. I think a Prius would be great. Thoughts?
I don’t but I think this would work.

That said, anything would. It might get 8mpg, have holes in the floor, and be an eyesore—but at a handful of miles per time, who cares? Short trips? it’d take years before such took its toll.

My thinking? why spend much?

For 3-4 miles a Prius doesn't make much sense, might a well buy a big-block 70's Cadillac. Not going to go through all that much gas.

I think something like this is a perfect beater. Arguably the world's most reliable car built in the era when they were built to last. One lifetime owner, looks pretty much perfect especially for it's age. 128,000 miles ~$1800 USD asking price and could easily be had for $1500.

If you care little about image or impressing strangers and carry out regular maintenance this car would probably outlast the 2011 Camry the OP is attempting to preserve.

Last edited:
I think something like this is a perfect beater. Arguably the world's most reliable car built in the era when they were built to last. One lifetime owner, looks pretty much perfect especially for it's age. 128,000 miles ~$1800 USD asking price and could easily be had for $1500.

If you care little about image or impressing strangers and carry out regular maintenance this car would probably outlast the 2011 Camry the OP is attempting to preserve.

posted 44 minutes ago, already gone?

Irony: I used to own an ‘11 Camry, unfortunately wrecked now. My 99 Camry, bought as a beater 6 years ago, is still going, 251k on the clock.

Like mentioned previous, everybodys situation is different. I dropped the coverage on my truck because it just sits. Acura is my DD and probably going to sell the Baja here when new Rav4 Hybrid comes home. Going to need a new clutch and timing kit here real soon. Dont really want to put the dime into it any longer. The Taurus SW I gave to a good female friend who was down on her luck and I maintain it for her. That is why it is in my signature.

Back