Is it true that MB 229.5 is rated for 45k km?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wikipedia entry on motor oil says that 228.1 is 15k km, 228.3 is 30k km, 228.5 is 45k km and that the 229.x designation follows a similar rule.

Not heard of the 45K km figure, unless that is for trucks:
MB 228.5
UHPD engine oils for highly turbocharged diesel engines. Extended oil change intervals
in light-duty engines up to 45,000 km. Up to 160,000 km possible in heavy-duty diesel engines (with service interval displays).

It lists Mobil 1 Delvac as holding that approval, but I don't understand what the 160K part is about.

Last edited:
Hi,
skyship - It's very clear, up to 160kkmd OCIs

I averaged 90kkms OCIs over my fleet using Delvac 1 in all HDD engines. I went to 130kkms to but it was soot of Fe levels that called the shots, NOT the lubricant's condition.

MB and MAN have specified long OCIs in their HDD engines for several decades - Volvo and Scania were also leaders in long OCIs several decades ago. It was much to do with sump capacity, combustion processes, filtration and programmed mainteance procedures

Hi Doug,

I see the spec for 160K includes "with side filters" Are they talking about a bypass filter or the normal side mounted filter?

Thanks, I didn't know they were over 100K km. How much top up oil did your 90K km figure involve?
I presume they mean UOA for service interval displays, or is this a truck term for an oil condition monitor?

Last edited:
Most I have seen Mercedes recommend was 14,000 mile range in UK.

The US Mercedes at one time recommended 13,000 miles OCI, they brought that down to 10,000 miles a few years ago.

I think this info is mixed up. The info listed is for large trucks like Mercedes, MAN, Volvo, Scania etc. with big diesels, 6-16 liter displacement in long range service. That's large sumps, special filtration systems etc. that makes them go to 100k miles or more.

For SUVs and "trucks", OCIs for non severe use in europe may be up to ca 30k km/18k mi. (which could be streching it...)

Not a big fan of the 18k or two year service intervals that are more and more popular in Europe if I am honest.

Vauxhall have 20k mile or one year intervals which is better as doing 20k a year indicates regular usage.

My Pathfinder has a 18k or two year OCI, luckily the first owner did 30k a year so it had plenty of oil changes a year and was mostly used on the M25 between Bluewater and Cobham. Imagine doing short journeys all the time and then changing the oil every two years! I know the sump is big and the oil is top quality but it has an EGR and a DPF so just think of all the diesel contamination and extra soot!

5k or 6 months sounds more like it.

Not sure how long some Mercedes intervals are but I think they may be over 20k on occasion due to the fact they mostly have oil condition monitors that need to be reset after every oil change, if you do your oil and filter yourself you end up with a warning light that needs to be reset.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back