Is it true that Japan/Korea tax car imports?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do they impose tariffs on USA cars? If so, what is their reasoning and why does the US overlook it?

Most countries charge tariffs on USA stuff. For example, I can't (logically) export to Thailand, 300% tariff. Of course there are other way countries try to keep imports out. We are just mental midgets in that department.

Don't get me wrong - I'm 100% opposed to ANY such taxes....

Originally Posted By: Pablo
For example, I can't (logically) export to Thailand, 300% tariff.

OTOH, they aren't exactly hard pressed for bicycles with weed whacker engines.

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
For example, I can't (logically) export to Thailand, 300% tariff.

OTOH, they aren't exactly hard pressed for bicycles with weed whacker engines.

You might want to retract that ignorant statement. Plenty of people in Thailand are contacting me for our products, none of which are "bicycles with weed whacker engines" man with foot in mouth. Business lost to China, again.....

Oh yes, the "connoisseurs" of wheedwacker bikes.
crackmeup2.gif
smirk2.gif

I'm guessing you're BOOMING in markets where it's "needed" transportation.

"seeeeeeeeeck bike parts........me love you long time."
crackmeup2.gif

Last edited:
No tariffs on cars from what I can tell. But Japan is protective of its agricultural products and impose tariffs on imports on animal and vegetable products. Here is Japan’s Tariff Schedule as of April 1, 2009. Section XVII deals with Vehicles and Associated Transport Equipment.

http://www.customs.go.jp/english/tariff/2009_4/index.htm

Nothing good comes of increasing tariffs. Take a look at the devasting economic effects of Hawley-Smoot Tariff Act that was pioneered by Senator Reed Smoot, a Republican from Utah, and Representative Willis C. Hawley, a Republican from Oregon. Herbert Hoover opposed it at first, but ended up signing it into law on June 17, 1930.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Japan doesn't have a tariff on cars...thus the reason for ignoring it.

The Japanese just have onerous "rules". Of course their customs people are not beyond sabotage and incompetence either. They took apart some switch mode power supplies one time, another time they tore into some rocket engines. Broke them and pointed the finger at us!!! Terrible systems, we are lousy rookies at the rigged game.

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
Oh yes, the "connoisseurs" of wheedwacker .....

Dude. You can't even spell "weed".

Our business is xx% after tax margin with sales the first year in the 6 figure area. We run a fairly tight ship, most all products ship within 24 hours with almost zero customer complaints and very, very few warranty claims. Almost 90% of our product is made the USA and we do ship all over the world. We just entered our second successful year as an American company. And it's a very fun business ~ our "trade shows" are a complete hoot.

our "trade shows" are a complete hoot.

I'm guessing the guys that build real motorcycles agree.
thankyou2.gif

Pull start your heart.
crackmeup2.gif

Last edited:
ahem,
few points to ponder on:
1. most countries tax imports at 300%, cuz they are based on a consumption tax model.
2. Japan and US are engaged in tit-for-tat (pablo was tempted to misspell tit ;-))
3. US imposed tax for bleeping athletic shoes, by the pair.
4. in japan, us cars are considered a bit luxury
5. think about the us model in most states, you pay a lot of usuage tax, 7% to register, property tax every year, etc.

Originally Posted By: stockrex
ahem,
few points to ponder on:
1. most countries tax imports at 300%, cuz they are based on a consumption tax model.
2. Japan and US are engaged in tit-for-tat (pablo was tempted to misspell tit ;-))
3. US imposed tax for bleeping athletic shoes, by the pair.
4. in japan, us cars are considered a bit luxury
5. think about the us model in most states, you pay a lot of usuage tax, 7% to register, property tax every year, etc.

Maybe not an import tax, but is it Japan that has a 50 or 100% sales tax on all autos, or was that Hong Kong? Or maybe both?

PS. whenever where I'm at starts imposing a property tax on autos, I know it is time to move.

So there is Zero import tax on a new Japanese vehicle that was 100%
built offshore?
I find that hard to believe.

There are games to play with components too. Countries that have a value added tax or sales tax collect nothing on parts exported to the US at inflated values. The US collects nothing on them coming in and less income tax because the inflated cost of the parts lowers the profits our income tax is based on. You would think the American unions would be screaming to dump our unfair income tax and switch to sales or value added tax. Foreign goods would then pay the same tax rates as American made. DUH!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back