Is it time to buy a new truck?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey everyone,

I have a 1995 Chevy Tahoe 4X4 that I use for my daily driver. It has about 190k on the clock and still looks pretty good. Mechanically, it runs out okay, meaning its drivable but it uses a quart of oil every 1000 miles, needs a new radiator, ball joints and an idler arm, the back brakes are worn out, factory Bilstein shocks have seen better days, one of the front driveaxle seals is shot, and the Michelin LTX's on it are on their last leg. It also has a terrible habit of cutting off when there's less than 1/4 tank of gas in it, thanks to a shoddy fuel pump replacement by the local Chevy Dealership (who is now out of business). Inside the truck, the leather seats have some wear, but otherwise its clean. Everything on the truck works, except for the power door locks. I'm figuring that to fix the mechanical issues and put a new set of tires on her would run about 1,500-2,000 or so. I've already sunk a lot of money in the truck since I bought it in 2009, but I guess what I'm trying to figure out is, should I pour a couple of thousand more in her, or buy something else. And if I do want to buy something else, what would be a better pick?

Thanks

That's a lot of stuff to fix on an old truck. I would be hesitant to put another $2k into it. Could be an endless cycle with a vehicle that age.

What would be your budget, and preferred type of vehicle, if you were to get rid of the Tahoe?

Well, I'm engaged and still in college, so as such I'm on a tight budget. However, I have to have a SUV/Truck because of my job (Farming). The Tahoe has a little more towing capacity than I have to have, but it's nice to not have to borrow my Uncle's Dually every time I need to move a tractor from one farm to another (they are at different ends of the county, so driving from one to another would take a while). I guess I could spend about 6k on a new vehicle, but I really would like to get something under 5.

Considering you'd just be buying another gaz guzzler, and an older one at that considering your budget, you might just want to fix what you have. You will soon run into a lot of repairs with buying another truck for $5-6k. Can't get much for that.

In Pink Hill, you're not all that far from me (Cumberland County). Do you go to NC State?

Honestly, I don't think you'll get much more "security" out of a full-size truck capable of hauling your tractors, for $5,000. You could probably find one, but I don't think it'd be any more or less needy of repair than your current vehicle. In the situation you're in, I'd rather put the $1,500-2000 into a known quantity than $5,000 into an unknown quantity.

Well I thought that if I picked up a newer 2 wheel drive pickup then it might just be a little bit more reliable (less to break), but I do like the flexibility of the 4X4. Far as my neck of the woods goes Jason, yep I'm not very far away from you at all. I actually wanted to go to State, but decided to attend Mount Olive so I could stay home to help at the farm. I guess I'm just aching to buy something different, mainly because of that fuel pump issue which leaves me having to crank my truck every time I come to a stop sign.

Except for the excessive oil consumption the things you listed that are wrong with your Tahoe are all things that you could fix yourself. And the oil consumption could be the rings, maybe try some of the engine oil additives that are available to help reduce some of it, or at the very worst have the engine rebuilt. You could replace the fuel pump yourself and probably get rid of that problem without too much trouble. Shocks, brakes, tires etc are all going to wear out sooner or later.

I would weigh the cost of the repairs against what you have to put into a new truck and any subsequent payments/debt if you have to finance a new truck. If you are thinking of buying another used truck, it might be a situation where you just trade one set of problems for another.

The Tahoe may need some repairs now but it sounds like once it is fixed it would be worth keeping. I would suggest keeping it and fixing it up, especially if it is paid for. I would much rather fix a vehicle that is paid for than buy new or used to avoid the cost of repairs. I guess it depends on how attached you are to the Tahoe and the difference in cost between fixing the Tahoe and buying something else, new or used.

I think it's less expensive to fix yours than buying another truck for $5k. A truck for $5k can be another cat in the bag that may require more repairs than the one you already have. At least with the one you have, there are no surprises and you already know what needs to be fixed.

Most people don't have the money to sink into repairs, so the dump their vehicle and get into something else. You seem to have a vehicle that you like. I would take the chance and do the repairs.

I have a 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan with 130k miles. I purchased it new, so I was aware of the vehicles history. I dreaded sinking $2000 into repairs, but I did not want to purchase something new. I am looking forward to being payment free for a while and plan to get the most out of this vehicle. Barring a blown engine or tranny, I plan to keep this vehicle a few more years.

You're right, I could do some of the repairs myself. The radiator replacement would be no problem, nor would the shocks or brakes. I probably could get my fiance's dad to help me with the fuel pump and the halfshaft seal, which leaves the front end work. I had a quote of 350 for ball joints and a idler arm, installed (Parts by Moog). The oil consumption doesn't really bother me, I know it leaks a little from the rear main (imagine that on a SBC), and it does burn a little bit as well, but again its not a huge issue. I do like the truck, although my fiance always complains about it thanks to its high step in height and poor ride, lol.

Originally Posted By: gradymotorco
You're right, I could do some of the repairs myself. The radiator replacement would be no problem, nor would the shocks or brakes. I probably could get my fiance's dad to help me with the fuel pump and the halfshaft seal, which leaves the front end work. I had a quote of 350 for ball joints and a idler arm, installed (Parts by Moog). The oil consumption doesn't really bother me, I know it leaks a little from the rear main (imagine that on a SBC), and it does burn a little bit as well, but again its not a huge issue. I do like the truck, although my fiance always complains about it thanks to its high step in height and poor ride, lol.

You might want to wait on the repairs. From this, it sounds like you'll be getting into a different vehicle around the time of your marriage contract goes into effect.
lol.gif

Hahaha well that's what I was thinking, but we went out on our first date in that truck and when I mentioned selling it, she got mighty sad and tried to talk me out of it. I reckon I'll just wind up putting a set of "Sissy Bars" (running boards/nerf bars) on it so she can get in and out of it easily!

I'll copy and paste most of my answer from a similar thread.

Not knowing your financial situation it's hard for anyone to really help with the decision. That being said, car payments and leasing are for fools and people who prefer to waste their money. If you can afford to pay cash for your new/newer vehicle then by all means purchase one if you so desire.

If you can't afford to pay cash then you can't afford to purchase something newer, and financially you're better off keeping what you have until you can afford a new/newer vehicle.

It would be really, really smart for you to put that monthly car payment into the bank for a couple more years and then go car shopping. Your girlfriend may simply have to take some responsibility and drive carefully, which would be sage advice no matter what the age/condition of her vehicle.

And just think of the savings you'd have if you would have put that $350/month car payment into the bank each month when you purchased this car-you'd be well on your way to a much newer and nicer vehicle.

Or you can choose the path of perpetual debt that so many others foolishly follow. It's much more fun making that monthly payment to yourself rather than your banker.

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
I'll copy and paste most of my answer from a similar thread.

Not knowing your financial situation it's hard for anyone to really help with the decision. That being said, car payments and leasing are for fools and people who prefer to waste their money. If you can afford to pay cash for your new/newer vehicle then by all means purchase one if you so desire.

If you can't afford to pay cash then you can't afford to purchase something newer, and financially you're better off keeping what you have until you can afford a new/newer vehicle.

It would be really, really smart for you to put that monthly car payment into the bank for a couple more years and then go car shopping. Your girlfriend may simply have to take some responsibility and drive carefully, which would be sage advice no matter what the age/condition of her vehicle.

And just think of the savings you'd have if you would have put that $350/month car payment into the bank each month when you purchased this car-you'd be well on your way to a much newer and nicer vehicle.

Or you can choose the path of perpetual debt that so many others foolishly follow. It's much more fun making that monthly payment to yourself rather than your banker.

I agree with you that car payments are a waste of money, and in general a ripoff for the consumer. My fiance has a 2009 Mazda 3, which her parents bought for her (with cash) new when she graduated High School, so she's pretty well set for the next 5-7 years. I don't look forward to car shopping when the time comes though, because she's got her heart set on either a new style Jeep Grand Cherokee or a new style Cadillac SRX!

I would do what you can to repair the truck in an economical way (ie: DIY labor is free) and remember that parts cost less than a truck payment. I have a 1994 Mazda (ranger) B2300 with 217K miles on it. It's probably not worth a $1000 on Craigslist, but it's a decent little truck with brand new Michelin tires on it. Recently I replaced the timing belt (again) and rebuilt the cooling system myself, and in the process fixed the cam timing issue that has been causing it to run like [censored]. I think I spent less than $150 including buying a new radiator from Rockauto.com
After that, I spent $25 and charged the AC, and now I have a decent ride again (at least worth the cost of the tires!) that is air conditioned and reliable. I am happy with it, and when it's time to rebuild something major again, I'll have to weigh the costs. But for now, this truck pays me to drive it.

Hey everyone,

I have a 1995 Chevy Tahoe 4X4 that I use for my daily driver. It has about 190k on the clock and still looks pretty good. Mechanically, it runs out okay, meaning its drivable but it uses a quart of oil every 1000 miles, needs a new radiator, ball joints and an idler arm, the back brakes are worn out, factory Bilstein shocks have seen better days, one of the front driveaxle seals is shot, and the Michelin LTX's on it are on their last leg. It also has a terrible habit of cutting off when there's less than 1/4 tank of gas in it, thanks to a shoddy fuel pump replacement by the local Chevy Dealership (who is now out of business). Inside the truck, the leather seats have some wear, but otherwise its clean. Everything on the truck works, except for the power door locks. I'm figuring that to fix the mechanical issues and put a new set of tires on her would run about 1,500-2,000 or so. I've already sunk a lot of money in the truck since I bought it in 2009, but I guess what I'm trying to figure out is, should I pour a couple of thousand more in her, or buy something else. And if I do want to buy something else, what would be a better pick?

Thanks

A quart of oil every 1000 miles isn't horrible for a 16 year old SBC engine. As long as you keep the oil full, it will probably last a while longer. Being a 1995 you don't have to worry about it passing emissions, if your county even does emissions testing.

Ball joints will likely run $1000 if you have a shop do it, but if quality parts are used, those should last another 120K miles or longer. It's not something you should be replacing again for a very long time.

A radiator should be cheap for this truck, and you will have no trouble getting one at any parts store. Axle seals are not a big deal either; a cheap, simple repair. Shocks can wait until you have some extra cash.

If you spend $1500 on tires, you spent too much. Michelins always carry a hefty price. Consider something less expensive. I have had four sets of Firestone Destination tires on three different trucks and no complaints. Even the 31" ATs on my Explorer were only maybe $850 or so installed. Plus, Firestone is great about fixing punctures for free. I have had them plug nail holes three times and haven't paid a dime for it.

Rust and wrecks are the only real vehicle killers. Anything else can be fixed, especially on a very common GM truck.

I had a quote of 350 for ball joints and a idler arm, installed (Parts by Moog)

What?!?! That seals the deal IMO...keep it.

Originally Posted By: 01rangerxl
gradymotorco said:
Ball joints will likely run $1000 if you have a shop do it, but if quality parts are used, those should last another 120K miles or longer. It's not something you should be replacing again for a very long time.

A radiator should be cheap for this truck, and you will have no trouble getting one at any parts store. Axle seals are not a big deal either; a cheap, simple repair. Shocks can wait until you have some extra cash.

If you spend $1500 on tires, you spent too much. Michelins always carry a hefty price. Consider something less expensive. I have had four sets of Firestone Destination tires on three different trucks and no complaints. Even the 31" ATs on my Explorer were only maybe $850 or so installed. Plus, Firestone is great about fixing punctures for free. I have had them plug nail holes three times and haven't paid a dime for it.

Rust and wrecks are the only real vehicle killers. Anything else can be fixed, especially on a very common GM truck.

Well when I said 1,500-2,000 I meant to do all the repairs mentioned, and put a set of tires on her. Unless I just luck out and find a great deal on a lightly used set of Michelins, they won't be going back on her, even though IMO they are the best light truck highway tire on the road. I'll probably get either Wild Country's or Uniroyals, possibly even Firestones. I had thought about Kumhos, but to me they look a little odd on a full size Chevrolet, lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back