Is it time for Auto-Rx?

Status
Not open for further replies.
All things considered, I want the best for my car because I want to keep it a long time. It is a 1998 V6 30v Audi with 77,000 miles on it. I aquired it with 30,000 miles, three years ago. I assume dealer Bulk-O-Crud was the prefered oil at 7500mi. It has had a brown crud under the oil fill cap since I bought it, one quart low. (I brought my own oil to the Chrysler dealer where I got it for topping)
grin.gif
Anyway, the crud is fairly dark brown, very thin and not hard. Some spots are hard, but overall it wipes away. I understand that the filler area does not get washed by hot oil, I will attempt a bore-scope look farther, but I stuck a white pipe-cleaner in as far as I could trying to find anything gummy or sludgy, NADA.(red-ish!?) What should I do? I have used GC the last 3 times, 6 months apart. I have a butt-load more in storage.
cool.gif
Before BitOG and GC, I used some 30 weight M1
frown.gif
once and Syntec 5w-40 twice.
wink.gif
Usually I observed the Audi recommended 7500 mile interval.
Recently 6 months/ 9000 mi has been more like it since GC. I just did a change 1 month/2000 miles ago, I have no problem dumping early for an Auto-Rx and/or HDEO run. I have some Saab oil I can try in winter after the Auto-Rx. (thin but TBN of 17+-) Can I use HDEO Delvac 15w-40 with Auto-Rx? Havoline or GTX or Pennzoil? PZ is on sale for $5/5q. Advice appreciated.
confused.gif

[ May 22, 2004, 12:43 AM: Message edited by: Audi Junkie ]

I would absolutely do an auto-rx treatment on that motor. After the auto-rx treatment stick with the german castrol or M1, both are an excellent choice, and not too expensive either.

Correction: I used 5w-40 Synpower, not Syntec. I am leaning toward the ARx, a thumbs up or down would still be helpfull.

I look at it this way. For the first 30,000 miles of it's life it most likely did get dino @ 7500 mile oil changes. Basically the minimum if it was maintained by the dealer according to Audi's maintenance schedule, I believe. By you running synthetic oils for 40,000+ miles you probably cleaned some of the crud out already. But It's cheap enough to do so for peace of mind I'd do it. Besides you'll get the bonus of seal reconditioning with the Auto-RX. For the oil for Auto-RX treatment I'd stick with the Havoline, GTX or Pennzoil. Still a step ahead of Super Tech dino but not much more expensive.

Whimsey

Thanks guys. I orderd 3 bottles of it! Pick up a 5q jug of Pennzoil 10w-30 and 1q of 20w-50. I think the ARx thickens oil a bit, I picture thin oil cleaning better, whatever. I got some Supertech 15w-40 for a pre-ARx flush because I want to re-use my filter ($15) for the rinsing phase. I only have 2000 miles on this filter and GC, so I think the filter will be re-usable. (flame on) Thinking of Saab syn for winter if I have any doubts about GC. I am going to use a bore-scope to chack out under my VC, before and after ARx.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back