Is it standard practice to replace rear shock mounts when doing shocks?

People often included mounts when mentioning rear shocks on P2 Volvos (essentially 2001-2009, various models).
My V0's had solid triangular plates of steel simply filling a larger (stamped) body hole.
The shock's top stud goes through the middle. There's nothing to wear.
So these are noise + vibration isolation elements which perish in some cars?

Replacing shock mounts with a stiffer one was a common “upgrade” on E30 BMWs...

All my Mercedes cars just have a couple rubber bumpers between some welded steel that is part of the body, so nothing to do.

I usually replace struts around every 50K mi, and usually replace them at least twice before the mounts are shot, so mounts lasted beyond 100K mi, usually make it to the point of the 150K mi point, 3rd pair of replacement struts installation. "Usually", sometimes they look due for it by 100K mi, but I've never replaced them with the first set of replacement struts and they never wore out before the 2nd pair of struts were due for replacement at my 50K mi interval.

What sort of vehicle are you replacing struts on every 50k miles? It's been ages since I replaced a strut in less than 100k miles and they only marginally required it.

Seems like struts last far longer than they used to. They're either making them better or they've learned to use a beefier part that is less heavily loaded.

^ I replace on any vehicle at 50K mi. "Worn out" is shades of gray with struts, I'd prefer to keep better handling than drag out the replacement interval. Plus I have lots of hills, curves, potholes, etc here so not only is the improved handling more important, it also wears struts faster.

Back